Need 328 A/C Replacement Parts - Receiver/Dryer, Expansion Valve | FerrariChat

Need 328 A/C Replacement Parts - Receiver/Dryer, Expansion Valve

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Mike328, Jun 19, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'm chasing a problem with the A/C on my US-spec 1987 328. I need:

(1) A new expansion valve
    (2) Pressure switch for expansion valve
    (3) Receiver/Dryer

I'm looking for thoughts and discussion on whether or not suitable substitutes for the Ferrari parts exist, or whether it's even advisable to go that route. (For example - if you could get Ferrari parts for say only 20% more, does it make sense to do that). Seems there's one lead on a SAAB or Mazda expansion valve (http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?p=135872222#post135872222).

The compressor at this point seems strong. My current intention is to stay R-12 and not convert over to R-134--my feeling is to chase the original system...

I've done some research in the archives, and am still in the process of identifying part numbers and non-OEM replacement part numbers and will post back shortly.

Any pointers would be appreciated!

Thanks,

--Mike

2. dbcooper

dbcooper Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2005
    Costa Mesa,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Tim Romero
    Those are generic parts that any capable A/C shop will have or can order for you.Best bet is to have them in hand so they can be matched up.

3. Javelin276

Javelin276 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Thor Zollinger
    I read in a thread somewhere here on FChat you can cook the dryer at 250 F to remove the moisture in the resin beads and recharge them again. I haven't tried it, though.
    Thor
    www.JavelinArt.com

4. carlrose

carlrose Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2003
    Mike, here's my listing on the 328 filter-dryer:

Filter-dryer Ferrari #129101/114730 $110-150 for canister + $60 for switch. Replacement w/low-pressure switch Four Seasons #208625 (matches to 1980-86 Saab 900 8-valve engine); purchased locally at Carquest for $63. Both OEM and replacement are identical & manufactured by Parker.

Sorry don't have the others. I do have a full article on AC compressor removal, refurbishment/replacement, and dryer replacement, but at this point I'm not sure you need it.

:) Carl

5. mike

mike Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Carl, going through my service records, there is a notation that my expansion valve is working marginally. The AC is still cold but I suspect the expansion valve will be going at some point in the future.
    Is the Saab expansion valve what you're referring to? ie; "OEM & identical"
    and are these Carquest part numbers?

6. dpospres

dpospres Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2005
    I replaced the filter/drier on my '85 308 last year due to a pinhole in it. I took it to a parts store and they matched it up with one that was almost identical. I believe it was for a BMW or Mercedes. It was around $35, and fits and works fine.

7. carlrose

carlrose Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2003
    No Mike, unfortunately not. The filter-dryer has a low-pressure switch integral to the top which shuts off power to the compressor - regardless of console switch position - when the pressure in the system goes too low. Prevents running compressor without Freon in system & burning up compressor. I don't have a 328 expansion valve cross-reference in my notes.

I know on the TRs the filter-dryer dessicant can disintegrate & travel through the system to get clogged in the expansion valve screen. I would expect the 308/328s, being of the same vintage, to behave in a similar manner. Perhaps a good reason for prophylactic replacement at time of system purge/refills?

Best,

PS: Mike, I sent you my CD-ROM with all the AC system/charging info, no?

8. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike

Hi Carl,

Thanks for your help with the A/C parts. It looks like there are two Mikes from Colorado with 328s involved in the thread--so hard to know who's who--but Carl, yes, you did indeed send me a CD complete with all of your service procedures and they have been very helpful :). Thank you again!

--Mike

9. mike

mike Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Carl...it's the "other Mike"..thanks, you sent me the CD also.. and BTW I'm the Mike with the RED...Ferrari..lol

10. carlrose

carlrose Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2003
    (laughing)...just making sure! Sorry I can't be of more help here.

Take care (mike and mike')

11. Yoric

Yoric Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2005
    Full Name:
    Yoric
    Ok Fellow F-chatters, I'm about to charge my 89 328 A/C with a friend's help and here are the parts that I have on hand:

1) Receiver/dryer Car Quest #208625
    2) 2 Shrader valves
    3) Gasket/O-ring set
    4) Expansion valve Car Quest #207399
    5) 3 lbs of R-12
    6) Appropriate type of oil for the York compressor and compatible for the R-12

My friend has all of the equipment (vacuum, gauges, etc) and is licensed to do the A/C work (used to own a repair shop). What else should I have on hand so that this procedure goes without a hitch?

Would one of you (Carl, Mike) be willing to let me copy the DVD mentioned in this thread illustrating the step by step? Or sell it to me? We're doing this next week (June 26 or 27th)? I sure would be grateful.
    Ricardo

12. Fastviper

Fastviper F1 Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Dash
    A nice cool glass of cool-aid. Ohh and the bible might not hurt either.

13. wolftalk

wolftalk Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    san franciso area
    Full Name:
    phil
    the expansion valve is wrapped in a remarkably sticky black "cork tape". You'll either have to slit/peel it enough to remove the old valve, or have a new piece on hand. 'course, if your friend used to do that stuff, he may have some. It tends to come in 30' rolls.

the exp valve is under the black spare tire well in the front. While you have that out, you may want to remove/replace the foam filters in the air ducts...it's probably falling apart too. It's 1/4" polyurethane air conditioner filter foam - hardware store item.

dip the o-rings in the oil before installing.

run your hands along the a/c lines from the compressor as far back as you can reach. You're looking for divots worn into the hose from rubbing against the chassis and/or gas tank. Pull out the disintegrated foam that is wrapped around the hoses to prevent that wear and replace it with some high density foam (pipe insulation) or a chunk of bigger hose you can slit and wrap around the a/c hoses (like leftover radiator hose).

and you'll need scotch, of course...hopefully for sipping as each part is installed, rather than guzzling while watching the r-12 spew out a hole in the a/c hose :)

14. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    sounds like you have done this before

15. mike

mike Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Ricardo I'm posting here to let Carl & "the other Mike", know I'm sending you a copy..
    Ricardo I'll also send you a pm..

16. kens

kens Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    This thread reminds me of a story about an Alfa owner that absolutely insisted upon OEM AC parts. After the parts order arrived, it was observed that the parts originated in Dallas, then traveled to Italy and back.

Ken