The official replica/re-creation thread | Page 16 | FerrariChat

The official replica/re-creation thread

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by WILLIAM H, Mar 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Thanks Kare.

2. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #377 Marcel Massini, Apr 6, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. vroomgt

vroomgt Formula 3

Aug 23, 2004
    Brisbane Australia
    Full Name:
    John ARBA
    Well.....guess that puts my mind at rest!

4. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #379 Marcel Massini, Apr 6, 2006
    This is a Mardikian-built Vette-based Daytona Spider I photographed at Laguna Seca 26 August 1984. Not really a Ferrari.
    COPYRIGHT MARCEL MASSINI
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Ouch. Even the horsey fell flat on its hoofs. :)

The Mardikian part is IMHO less significant than the fact that it is a McBurnie style.

6. Dave330gtc

Dave330gtc Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2002
    NW Indiana
    Full Name:
    David Smith
    #381 Dave330gtc, Apr 6, 2006
  7. MJarrettR

MJarrettR Formula 3

Apr 14, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Jarrett Rothmeier
    Looks like the "prancing horse" on the grill is doing more of a trot than a prance. :)

-Jarrett

8. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    a big joke! horrible i prefer to be blind sometimes...

9. Christian.Fr

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    motorisation by Datsun made in japan.
    where is the pleasure?

10. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    No, read carefully: Vette based. McBurnie's don't fit a Datsun. Only few Daytona replicas were based on Datsun's. All I have seen were Berlinettas. McBurnies are based on C3.

11. Christian.Fr

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    replica Ferrari,with motorisation by corvette...too hard for me.

12. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #387 tifosi12, Apr 6, 2006
    Actually everything from GM except the looks. Here something different: Autokraft replica on Jaguar basis. V12 Jag engine. Interior and exterior is nearly a 100% match, body panels were molded off originals. Made by the same folks who started their business chopping Berlinettas into Spyders.

I had the pleasure to get a ride in this beast and it was absolutely spell binding. The swooshy Jag chassis has been trimmed to almost racing performance with an engine set back so far it has nearly a 50/50 weight distribution. Very nimble, lots of power and the brakes to stop it. And the sound from the carburated V12 was a worthy roar. I'd still love to get a ride in a real Daytona Spyder to see how it compares. My feeling is this one gets pretty close. Also in fuel consumption... :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    The 1953 thru 1962 Corvettes used a 102 inch wheelbase frame if I remember correctly. The 1963 thru 1982 used a 98 inch wheelbase. The reason so many kit cars look goofy is because the bodywork is modified to fit the frame in question. And many times, just a slight modification will make the whole car look goofy. There were a few Scaglietti bodied 1959 Corvettes done back during "the day". One was on display at the Corvette Museum in Kentucky a few years ago. I didn't have a camera when I went there.
    (Hey, I'm no Marcel, give me a break!)

14. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #389 tifosi12, Apr 6, 2006
  15. Daryl

Daryl Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Barrington Hills, IL
    Full Name:
    Daryl Adams
    Okay Andreas, here is where I have to part company. I think it's possible to take a Ferrari engine, a Ferrari gearbox, various other Ferrari bits and pieces, and build what could be called a Ferrari custom, or a Ferrari "Hot rod". Just in the same way people build Ford or Chevy street rods. It's another thing entirely to take a Corvette, or Datsun or Jaguar and build an imaginary "Ferrari" around it. Perhaps if they had called that spyder a "Jaguarri", or a "Ferraguar", complete with it's own special logo......no, not even then. It's a little like when we were kids and we tied ballons on our bikes so they rubbed against the spokes while we rode them and sounded cool...just like a "real" motorcycle.

16. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I have no problem with you having a different opinion as long as we can have a civilized conversation about it. The inside of your garage tells me that you are yourself somewhat prone to the replica world, although in a more authentic way. And that's really where I see the difference: It is a matter of definition, effort and result where one draws the line. Last time I was in Switzerland I came across a neat looking modern Fiat. The owner plastered it with Ferrari logos and had me curious for a second. In my book not a replica, just a car with the wrong stickers. Then there are the Datsuns, Fiero and Vettes with new bodies. Replicas in my book, despised in yours. Then there is what your friend with the Barchetta built: Car from scratch with genuine engine and a good finish (not perfect, but ok IMHO). And then there are the rebodies of 250 GTE into GTO and the like. Finally there are the reincarnations of cars long gone. I guess the Malibu Enzo will be one such car.

Where anybody draws his personal line of acceptance or rejection in that wide array is really a matter of individual preference, opinion and taste. Some have narrower standards than others. My personal view is fairly tolerant, but I can understand how people see things differently. Fraud and lies is where I draw the line.

Replicas often are dispised because people think that their owners only have them for posing, but that's not necessarily true. Many have them because they love their looks, performance, etc and they can afford them and even afford to loose them when driving them hard. My friend with the AC Cobra didn't buy that thing to impress anybody (especially as mentioned on here as well everybody nowadays assumes a Cobra on the road has to be a replica) but because he wanted to have that visceral feeling of driving and racing a car from the sixties or built with sixties technology (he owns modern sports cars too). And I bet some of the cars listed in this thread were built and driven for the same reasons. The joy of driving the snot out of them without risking a museum's piece.

17. Daryl

Daryl Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Barrington Hills, IL
    Full Name:
    Daryl Adams
    My apologies, Andreas. I forgot to put a "wink" after my post. I know you are much more "forgiving" of the replicas, and that's okay with me. We agree about the "fraud and lies" aspect. Since you mention my garage, I should add that all my cars are originals. You are referring, I think, to the Superformance GT I have ordered. I have been agonizing over that subject for some months now. The GT40 is probably the one car I have longed to own more than any other since my high school days. I assumed it to be an unattainable fantasy until I learned about the Superformance GT, which promises to be the most accurate copy of the GT40 yet built. So I placed a deposit. Just this morning I got a call from the source for the proper ZF transaxle asking for money to start building up the box to my specs. And Roush wants to start building the small block engine. Yet I still don't know if I will go through with the purchase, because I may not be able to get the car in right-hand drive, right-hand shift configuration.

18. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I was referring to the GT40. Thought you already had it. I know your other cars are all originals, no offense intended.
    Talk to Mike from FL about this. His Cobra is Superformance and he is strongly opinionated about RHD and LHD when it comes to the GT40 (he was considering it himself). Also there is that other company in Detroit that builds you just about any race car (including P4 and GT40) on a modern chassis. RHD or LHD, they don't care. You add the powertrain. If you're interested I can dig up their address. Finally there is another company from South Africa, IMHO they build the truest GT40 replica. Again I can dig it up if you like.

19. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG

Keep meaning to get one of those bodies and put it on a 400i chassis ;)

20. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    If you're ever serious about it, let me know. I know these guys and there is always one for sale. Personally I'm not sure I'd do that. I like 400i and they're a dying breed.

21. james patterson

james patterson Formula Junior
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 8, 2003
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    James Patterson
    The '206' in post #111 was done in 1989 by Norwood Autocraft for Joe Marchetti. It was done with a tube chassis, alloy body, DGZ box and a Ferrari 4 valve 4 cam F2 engine, complete with slidevalve intake. Bob had two of those engines, both where missing a few bits, one went in this car and he sold off the other. It did not have the roll bar in it originally.

Thanks for posting the pictures.

James Patterson
    Norwood Performance

22. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Was the Norwood tube chassis a duplicate of the original Ferrari chassis, or an entirely different design? If it was a duplicate of the original Ferrari chassis, did they get their measurements from an original frame, or a set of chassis diagrams? If they used diagrams, where did they get these diagrams?

23. Daytona Rick

Daytona Rick Formula 3

Jan 23, 2005
    Windy City
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Can't anyone ever give credit to a person who builds their own creation? Give a person credit especially if they don't do it for a living. People build things just for the enjoyment of building. Yes some (few) do it to fake others out, but most people I know did it for fun, experience, and devotion to the car spirit. Some even in tribute to a marque. I built my Daytona replicar (Oh YES It is a replicar, of a car I would love to have but can't see ever affording a real one). Is it perfect? Hell NO! but it had gone as high as a 98 point car in a nationally accepted club's regional concours championship (yes I have the documentation). I enjoy showing it at all types of events, including Ferrari ones, with the understanding that some will praise it and others will stick their noses up at it. But how many people do you know who built a car from the ground up? I enjoy telling people how I built it (19 yrs ago) and without prior experience and I don't down play other's creations no matter what it looks like.

24. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    OT...Hey Rick, how's your ribs :D

25. Daytona Rick

Daytona Rick Formula 3

Jan 23, 2005
    Windy City
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Thanks for asking! They still hurt. Dr. 348T took some xrays and gave me drugs and he told me rest for a few weeks which I haven't been doing. I'll be able to rest once this weekend is over.