I can confirm the 9500 laser shifters work.. | FerrariChat

I can confirm the 9500 laser shifters work..

Discussion in '360/430' started by PorscheGuy, Jul 4, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PorscheGuy

PorscheGuy Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2010
    Irving TX
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    #1 PorscheGuy, Jul 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My Scuderia has the 9500 passport system with the laser shifters. I always wondered if they work. Today was a good test. I was on an access road to the main highway and was probably doing 80 in a 45. Cop on a motorcycle under the bridge hits me via laser. I slow down and he pulls me over. He comes up and tells me I am being ticketed for using a "laser interference device" and asked if I knew they were illegal. Apparently he couldnt get a reading on my speed but clearly his system knows it was being blocked. At any rate I'm sure the ticket for the interference device is cheaper than the other ticket would have been.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Stevely

Stevely Formula Junior

Jul 21, 2011
    LA, CA
    Nice! Was the officer pissed or impressed? Does that count as a moving violation?

3. PorscheGuy

Dec 13, 2010
    Irving TX
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    He wasn't mad at all. Very matter of fact. He said it wasn't a moving violation and the fine wasn't very steep (but didn't know what it was). I need to call tomorrow. I will post the result.

4. Stevely

Stevely Formula Junior

Jul 21, 2011
    LA, CA
    If you already have the passport radar, around how much more do the shifters cost?

5. scubamike

scubamike Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    In the south
    I'm curious where you shifters are mounted in the front. Behind the mesh in the front bumper or in front of it?

6. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Supposedly the fine is not to exceed $500. Probably better than a speeding ticket as you say. Luckily they don't confiscate it.

7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Why confiscate it when every time they hit him with a laser gun, it's a $500 fine -- whether he's speeding or not.

It's a cash machine.

8. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    My 9500 sensors/jammers are behind both front grills and one on the rear just above the license plate.

9. PorscheGuy

Dec 13, 2010
    Irving TX
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Behind the mesh.

10. PorscheGuy

Dec 13, 2010
    Irving TX
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Not sure. I think a few hundred.

11. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    FYI, the way to use the laser shifters properly, at least in theory, is when you get the laser alert:

1. Slow down quickly and immediately
    2. Double tap the mute button

This will turn the shifting function off for 90 seconds and allow the cop to get a speed reading at the now, hopefully, legal speed.

NOTE: these instructions are for the Passport 9500ci not sure if it would work for the window mount units.

12. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    Wow. Takes practice but definitely do-able.

Fresh off my iPhone via Tapatalk

13. PorscheGuy

Dec 13, 2010
    Irving TX
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Good info.

14. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Lucky you are not in Australia. They would fine you $3500 and if you didn't hand over the system on the spot they can impound the car.
    They don't like systems that hamper there revenue raising from "speeding" fines. Those revenues are included in government budgets.

Under local "hoon laws" you have automatic loss of license at 25kmh over posted limit, and car seizure for 90 days at 40kmh or for any offence considered to be dangerous e.g doing a burnout or hanging the tail out around a corner.

15. MikeR397

MikeR397 Formula 3

May 9, 2010
    SE Michigan
    I'm curious how he knew about the laser shifter? Especially if you do not have a front license plate, it is pretty difficult for a cop to get a reading on a slim nosed car like a Ferrari in the first place, especially from any distance, since they need something flat to bounce the laser back properly in order to calculate the speed differential. I would not think thier failure to get a reading would auto result in an assumption a laser shifter was being used and a ticket for such, nor am I aware of any other way they could notice this without inspecting inside your car. Are you sure you did not proactively offer this info after they may have asked if you were using one?

FWIW, my 360 has a laser shifter installed along with an integrated K40 radar dectection system. No idea if the laser shifter is actually working or not, but it's mounted behind the front mesh grill.

16. MikeR397

MikeR397 Formula 3

May 9, 2010
    SE Michigan
    Coupled with the ridiculous tax and prices of exotics in Austrailia, this info is nail in the coffin for any desire I might ever have to move there for awhile. Beautiful country, but that is just blashpemy! I thought California was bad...

17. MikeR397

MikeR397 Formula 3

May 9, 2010
    SE Michigan
    Interesting, but I have doubts one would be able to pull this off especially if in the middle of a WOT then "holy **** hit the breaks" episode. Especially since the range an officer can actually get your speed with a laser gun is so limited on a narrow nose car like a Ferrari (unless there is a front plate which extends the range quite a bit).

18. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
    I'd have to move...

19. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    On a lidar gun the display can show JAM or ERR. On some its --- I believe. The manuals are online. If its JAM, that's not good.

20. justinn

justinn Karting

Jan 5, 2011
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Burden of Proof is on them and they have none. He cannot legally search your car, so if it is not in plain sight, fight it. Make sure they call in a representative from the Food and Drug Administration as they are who regulates laser devices, not the FCC or the local agencies.(at least as of last year).

I would fight that tooth and nail with the amount of harrassment you received and all :)

Justin

21. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Yeah Aussie is super tough. Happy I'm across the pond.
    Mind you weve just had our first impounded crushed car.
    Jap racer of course.

22. F360_Spider

F360_Spider Karting

Mar 7, 2011
    UK
    i have a square block on my 360 in my front mesh grills at the bottom and there is a metal switch below my right knee on the drivers side whcih turns on a Green LED..

i am pretty sure this is the laser blocker as well but i have never really tested..

well once i was speeding around a road and there was cops on teh side with a GUN as i saw them i slowed down but i know i didnt slow down in time but they looked at me and were just laughing as if i had blocked there speed reading

i havent really tested it otherwise, any idea's on how to test this? lol

i will take a picture of the unit so you guys cna tell me what it is if you know

23. Jms15

Jms15 Karting

Jun 1, 2011
    manhattan
    Laser is regulated by the FDA as it was originally used for medical procedures which is why they can sell jammers (it's not a federal issue), does your state have a statute in place regulating usage?

24. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Of course the proof is right here in the form of admission on FChat!

25. rlips

rlips Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    I've been hit and saved twice in my F430. The first time, I was (stupidly) in the left lane cresting a hill, going 85 in a 65 zone. Got the warning, slowed down and did the double tap, all within a second or two. I was pretty far away from the LEO when that happened, so I assume he eventually got a lock on me at legal speed, as nothing happened.

The second time was actaully a local LEO, going 50-55 on a 40 mph road. Did the same double tap (very quickly) and once a gain went on my way unharrassed.

I can only assume they got a "lock" quick enough at a legal speed.