Yellow 288 GTO; how many exist?? | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Yellow 288 GTO; how many exist??

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by adamF430, Sep 17, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    I can give you a name, results are so good.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Acacg

Acacg Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2013
    Dallas Texas

Can you Hurry up with this book!? :D

of2worlds, Albert-LP and Christian.Fr like this.
  3. Christian.Fr

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    Which book? Special GTO 288... :) ..again?

An advice, take your source away from internet. No, Gto owner manual, technical drawings...all these informations are available on the net, and for free!

4. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    No, it will be about the Ferrari turbo era of the eighties: a bit of info about 126CK and 126C2, and a lot about 208 turbo, 288 GTO, 328 turbo, F40, the four turbocharged GT.

It's almost completed

ciao

I'm, sorry but i didn't understand very well what you told: my English is not so good as your!

ciao

Christian.Fr and of2worlds like this.
  5. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Albert-LP that is exciting news! Thank You.

Christian.Fr likes this.
  6. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    So, in conclusion, based on the specifically-captioned DGM illustrations published in the Lewandowski book, and, based on your comments above about Materazzi's statements, we know that at least the existence of a carbureted engine (F114A) for the 288 GTO is undeniable, even if it was never used in a prototype 288 GTO.

of2worlds likes this.
  7. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    The carb engine WAS installed and used in one of the 288 GTO prototypes.

Marcel Massini

Acacg, joe sackey and of2worlds like this.
  8. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Thank you for this confirmation Marcel, my feeling has always been that our received wisdom was correct after all.

9. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Marcel you are a legend and you know a tons of things about Ferrari. But I have an interview (recorded) where the 288 project leader ing. Nicola Materazzi says "the carbed engine never leaved the test room and was never installed on a car, due to the much lower power it had"

And the reason why Materazzi developed that engine too is really incredible: He was forced to do that, even if he obviously knew that a carbed turbocharged engine was a stupid thing.
    I wasn't there, of course, but I will write what Materazzi told me and was recorded on the tape. There were two engine models installed on the car prototypes, yes, but both were turbocharged ad injected

Ciao

of2worlds, Christian.Fr and 2281GT like this.
  10. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    I saw the car with my own eyes (September 1983) and I know the serial number of the car as well.

Marcel Massini

joe sackey, Acacg and of2worlds like this.
  11. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    What the carbs brand was?

of2worlds likes this.
  12. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Yes as in "What brand were the carbs" please!

Also perhaps can you share which serial number GTO had the 'carbs' test?

13. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    This happened more than 34 years ago and I do not remember the brand of the carburetors, sorry.
    However, I did write down the chassis number and have it in my database.
    No, I do not have a photo. At the time I wasn't allowed to take any pix.

Marcel Massini

14. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Marcel, are you sure? If you give me some other details (who where with you and why and the contest) I have Materazzi phone number and I can call him and ask why there is one (you) that says the opposite of what he remembers. He had no doubt when told me the story.

Ciao

15. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    VERY sure.
    Ermanno della Casa and Jacques Swaters were both with me that day.

Marcel Massini

of2worlds likes this.
  16. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Marcel, please be honest: did you open the engine lid and you with your eyes saw the carbs with no doubt or Ermanno della Casa (that was not a technician) told you and mr Swaters "in this car there is a carbed engine"? I'm asking you this because if you can understand if there is a carb or an injection you should remember what the carbs were, as if there was a very BIG difference between them and the usual Ferrari carbs, so a technician shouldn't have forgotten which they were. Please don't be upset: I'm just trying to learn why the tech project leader engineer Nicola Materazzi told me "the carbed engine never went on a car, just test room" and you tells the opposite: this is a very strange thing.

Thank you very much for your help.

ciao

Christian.Fr and of2worlds like this.
  17. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    I did not have to open the lid because it was open already.
    Ermanno della Casa, Jacques Swaters and I as well, we all knew/know what a carburetor is or how it looks like.
    The car was a modified 308 used as proto for the 288. We were also told at the time that it had a shorter wheelbase than the final 288.

Marcel Massini

Acacg, Christian.Fr and of2worlds like this.
  18. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Alberto any 'guy' would jump at the chance to look at a Ferrari 'motori' especially on something new in development. However after so many years have gone by it is sometimes difficult to remember a special detail. If carbs were used they likely came from the usual supplier. The 308 motor got fuel injection in 1981, correct? What brand of carburetor for the 1980 308 GTB?
    Using carbs would be going backwards for engineering if two years later in 1983 they were installed on a new 'sport' motori car? The GTO was designed to be a race car though as we know it evolved into a street version car instead for the road use. Maybe the carburetors were installed without the knowledge of Nicola Materazzi by someone else who was trying an experiment??? You can ask him about that idea of an experiment? :)

Acacg and Christian.Fr like this.
  19. Acacg

Acacg Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2013
    Dallas Texas
    4 Twin Solex with KKK turbos.

of2worlds likes this.
  20. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #170 joe sackey, Oct 15, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
    Case closed, as far as I'm concerned.

Perhaps his memory of events from 33 years ago is not accurate? Happens to the best of us, I'd much rather take a period eyewitness account, especially that of perhaps the world's most noted and data-specific Ferrari historian.

Please be honest? Wow, you sure do have a proclivity for not only erroneous information but for being (perhaps inadvertently) insulting, I mean, does the man have a reputation for being dis-honest?

Anyway, I disagree, it's not necessarily a logical conclusion that one would know what brand of carbs are being used upon spotting them in an engine, carbs are often concealed by the obligatory air-box, and, upon briefly encountering a prototype car that has carbs, one might not ask what brand of carburetor is employed. As you say, Ermanno della Casa was not a technician, so he might not have known, or the question was not asked, very simple and easily believable.

This saga reminds me of the 1933 movie Duck Soup in which Chicolini Marx asks "Well, who you gonna believe? Me, or your own eyes?"

Coming on the heels of your original representations of the yellow GTO's color, I find this thread hilarious.

21. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Joe as an author you should appreciate the desire to dig for details that elude your understanding. Add in the complication of a second language and it can be a daunting and sometimes thankless task. To have access to a prime 'source' can only be a benefit for the rest of us on the sidelines...

Acacg and Christian.Fr like this.
  22. Christian.Fr

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    Exact of 2worlds,
    Both of them seem to be honest, Alfredo and Marcel try to understand and try to find an answer to the question. Back 35 years back is not so easy, and needs time to have a correct answer.

Acacg and of2worlds like this.
  23. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I understand & appreciate these viewpoints.

I've stated my viewpoint, and, this thread speaks for itself.

24. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani

Correct, they were Solex carbs.

ciao

of2worlds likes this.
  25. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #175 Albert-LP, Oct 16, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
    You could save all this words, thay in my opinion suited for such a Ferrari expert as you are and are not very kind to someone (like me) that (without being a car seller like you are, you gain money if you are considered an expert while I don't gain anything) just would add something (for free) that many don't know.

I don't need your 288 GTO pictures anymore, thank you very much: keep them, I'm ok without them.

My posts in this discussions will stop here, as you are not pleasant to talk with.

In my book there will be written why on the 288 GTO prototype engine there were Solex carbs and the whole IHI-KKK story: as soon as the book will be completed, I will publish here the whole story, for free, as gaining money with Ferrari (and Lamborghini...) is not the purpose of my life.

ciao