Year to year changes for 599 | FerrariChat

Year to year changes for 599

Discussion in '612/599' started by migg48, Jan 22, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. migg48

migg48 Karting

Jul 7, 2006
    I've been thinking about a 599. Are there any significant differences in the model years?

Thanks.....

2. Astont

Astont Rookie

Jan 22, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Teddy
    Not 100% sure but they are all the same (ex gto). Not sure when the hgte package came out but doesn t make a Huge difference on daily drive.

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Yes, there were differences. F1 system was updated in early 2007 and CCMs and a CTEK battery charger became standard in ~September 07. Check with a Ferrari dealer who can look in MODIS and see at what Serial Number (last 6 of VIN) or Assembly Number changes were made to the F1 ECU/TCU and the Motronic ECUs. About the only way to tell what car has which ECUs. The parts catalog on Ricambi's web site only has the early parts numbers because parts and workshop documentation migrated to MODIS from the earlier CDs and hard copies.

4. migg48

migg48 Karting

Jul 7, 2006
    Thank you. I'm looking at an '08 and an '09. I'll check the numbers.

5. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Not as much difference between an 08 and 09 as there is between early 07s and 08s.

6. Dwilson

Dwilson Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Derek
    I am looking at 2009 or 2010s. Are there any differences between those two years?

7. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Derek- Availability of HGTE would be one of the big changes for MY 2010. If you can get a 2010 with HGTE for not much of a premium, that would be a really good deal. $30K option.

8. Easy888

Easy888 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2006
    CA, NV
    Full Name:
    Jim
    So the 09+ cars had some shifting program updates from the 07~08 cars?

What was the result of this difference? Smoother/faster shifts?

Can the older cars be updated to the newer spec? Or are there some hardware changes as well?

9. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Jim- You need to ask your Ferrari dealer because we have limited tech data. It is probably more like the 08/09 have improvements over the 07s. This HGTE upgrade document from Boardwalk should give you some idea. Apparently at SN 156938, the F1 system, and possibly the Motronic ECUs, were updated on late 07 599s.

Shifting on early 599s is quoted at min shift times of 100 ms and the HGTE package at 85 ms. The 20 ms reduction they quote is in that range.

599 HGTE Retrofit kit

Handling package - consisting of new more rigid springs and rear anti-roll bar as well as new calibration for the magnetorheological shock absorbers when in the sporty positions of the Manettino (SPORT and RACE positions). The handling features a better response time and a feeling of increased compactness without unduly compromising driving comfort. The car’s ride height has also been reduced and therefore the center of gravity lowered still further, which helps with the reduction of weight shift. The lowering of the center of mass combined with the new setup helps to reduce the squat and dive as well as pitch and roll, with the resulting benefit to the car’s dynamic performance.

This setting reduces the static roll and rolling movements on the tracks as well as pitching. This gives the car faster turn-in and less under-steer effect. The car’s performance has also been improved with new tires which have been specially optimized for this package. They are characterized by a compound that helps to allow even more effective grip for better road holding combined with excellent ease of control.

The front tires are fitted on modular rims with increased rigidity and a larger track. This improves axle performance which facilitates turn-in.

These results are achieved through both mechanical and software changes:
    • Lower suspension (10mm)
    • New magnetorheologically controlled suspension calibration for the Manettino
    SPORT and RACE configurations
    • More rigid suspension springs (front + 16%, rear + 10%)
    • More rigid rear antiroll bars (diameter increased to 24.5 mm)
    • Tires with improved compound
    • Modular rims with reduced weight and special new design

The kit also adds a strong styling component: the 20” modular rims with new design and finishing treatment. The rims have a forged flange to benefit weight. The design of the spokes is highlighted by a diamond surface treatment with a technical matte transparent trim called “Silver Corsa”.

Performance package - NOTE-This kit cannot be installed on cars with manual gearboxes. Cars with VIN 156938 and greater can use this kit or HGTE Exhaust Kit part number 70001493 which is mufflers only.

The installation of the “HGTE Performance” kit, which includes the replacement of the mufflers, exhaust pipes and new software settings, offers the client faster response of the engine controls. This enhances the car’s dynamic qualities which can be best experienced on the track.

In performance driving conditions, the F1 gearbox activation is now more rapid. Indeed, thanks to optimized electronic control, the response time of the gear change command system has been reduced by 20 milliseconds during downshifting. A further enhancement involves engine control, which includes
    accelerator logic with modified mapping that enhances the rapid increase in revolutions along the wide engine use field.

In addition, this kit includes exhaust tailpipes which are further enhanced in the rear ¾ views by the black chroming treatment on the side surface. The styling characteristics of the tailpipes are combined with a modification of the exhaust muffler. The sound produced by the car is more pronounced and exciting, especially for sports use, while maintaining a good level of comfort at cruising speed.

Exhaust - Mufflers only upgrade

Asthetic (exterior only) -
    Together with the other kits, or individually, this kit completes the “customization” of the exterior. It enhances the front area with the use of a grille with a special chromatic treatment where the Prancing Horse has a more definitive appearance due to a special brushed-finish treatment. The Prancing Horse with the same treatment is also available on the rear lid.

Please give us a call regarding the HGTE kits. They can be done individually or as a whole.

10. Easy888

Easy888 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2006
    CA, NV
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Thanks Terry.

Actually giving early ('07) 599 some thought. They are terrific deals right now.

11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Jim- Affirmative, and most folks could not tell the difference between 85 ms and 100 ms shifting, at any rate. Both are very fast. All the other HGTE parts will fit, but are expensive. As long as she has CCM brakes, functionality is not enough different to pay a bunch more. There was a 50,000 mile 07 for sale for $119K recently. Prices are dropping rapidly.

Save the money and invest in a set of GTO wheels and tires. They fit all models of 599s.

12. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Wow, they sure are.

13. carcommander

carcommander Formula 3

Sep 28, 2006
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I owned an 08 599 a great car. My Ferrari dealer tells me that prices on 599's have not stabilized yet.

14. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    I think it was late '08 cars on (probably '09 model Year) had a lean burn map (in EU at least) allegedly improving overall economy by circa 15%, can't say I've noticed the difference :)

15. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    Late '08 cars on (probably '09 model Year) had a lean burn map (in EU at least) allegedly improving overall economy by circa 15%, can't say I've noticed the difference :)

16. ferrari355gtb

ferrari355gtb Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    R
    Save your money and drop a GTO ECU onto a 599.

17. doctorj!

doctorj! Formula 3

Aug 3, 2010
    Jersey
    Full Name:
    AJ
    50k is a lot of miles....

18. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Yup, and the price reflects the miles.

Rick- GTO has internal modifications to the gearbox, like the Scuderia. If you are talking about the TCU, do not believe it is compatible with normal 599s without major mods.

19. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    Apparently you can upload the GTO map for increased horsepower

20. Flo400

Flo400 Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2011
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    Anyone who has done that?

21. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Mark- I did not know you could do that due to the extensive differences between the Type F140C engine in the 599 GTB and the Type 140CE in the GTO. So extensive, the GTO exhaust will not fit the GTB.

22. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    Terry, I need to talk with you. Send me a PM message please.

Thanks

Chris

23. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Chris- You should talk to someone who actually knows something. I just have a bunch of tech data. My PMs are not activated.

24. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    I had an 08 without HGTE and then ordered a new 599 with the HGTE package. It's quite a difference, not so much on the shifting (millisecond differences) it's what happens when you're going at a good clip and then suddenly rotate the steering wheel 55 degrees. Pure magic.

25. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    There you go, someone who knows something.

Hawkeye- Sounds like the HGTE package is really worth having. Yours did not have the standard seats or you deleted the HGTE script on the seats IIRC.