Which air filters should I get? | FerrariChat

Which air filters should I get?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Dohangs, May 31, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    I'm looking to pick up some carbon air boxes and was wondering which filters I should get? Looking at BMC vs K&N. Is one better than the other?
    Thanks.

2. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.
    I've read the oiled filters can cause MAF sensor issues.

3. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I think that over-oiling is the biggest issue with these filters. I don't see how you can go wrong with either. Make sure they aren't too oily right out of the box too. I have K&N but am very careful to not over oil when I clean them. Contamination of the MAF sensors is what you are guarding against. Make sure to clean the ducting to the MAFs when you service them to get any residue off.

4. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I've heard that k&n don't filter that well. I've heard of multiple times now when a service has been performed and there is dust in the intake runners. You can see pinholes through the filter when looking up at the light. If your eye can see through it, so can dirt.

5. ferraristyle1

ferraristyle1 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    I chose to get BMC when i replaced my airboxes as it's what Ferrari uses in their F1 cars.....plus I'm not a big fan of K&N as I had MAF problems with K&N's out of the box (not on my Fcars but on some of my Porsches).

You will probably get replies on all sides of the fence and there are many threads here on the topic.

Your car so do what you want to do.

6. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Paper. There is no evidence that the paper filters are a significant enough restriction to warrant possible oil contamination of the MAFS. Yes, they might not be a problem so long as not over-oiled. But the MAFS technology is very sensitive to oil-based contaminants, and won't necessarily throw codes even though they are robbing your car of horsepower. It's up to you to decide, but FWIW, I run paper filters inside my carbon fiber airboxes.

7. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    So there are 3 different opinions on this topic. I read K&N's website and they claim there were no issues with their filters causing MAF sensor failure. Any other first hand experience on this topic?

8. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley

Only with my M5, which had the same kind of MAFS. Performance degraded due to MAFS contamination. Didn't realize how badly until I drove a friend's identical car and realized how much stronger it was. Swapped MAFS and the power increase was instant and noticeable. I didn't notice because the power loss was gradual and in normal day to day driving, the engine still made more than adequate power.

As a result, I will not use any oiled filter again with this type of MAFS system. Note there was no "failure" and at least with the BMW, no codes thrown. So I could easily see a filter maker making the true claim that their products don't cause MAFS "failures". People are welcome to their different opinions and to try using whatever aftermarket equipment they want. After all, it's their cars. If you use them anyway, do some baseline 0-60 runs and periodically check to see if they've gotten longer. Or use dyno software app on your smartphone (or a dedicated device such as Racelogic).

9. voicey

voicey Formula 3

Jul 29, 2009
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Aldous Voice
    I'm of the same opinion - it is worth risking MAF damage for a 2bhp gain on a 400bhp car? The risk/reward ratio doesn't stack up.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  10. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.

What is the engine life of an F1 engine? I have no idea but they run crazy high rpm so I'm sure it is not that long.

11. captglen

captglen Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2007
    West Palm Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Glenn L.
    #11 captglen, May 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    We are making a fabulous 360 / 430 Air Filter called Green Dragon
    We are running a special ,2 filters and a recharge kit 200.00
    These are synthetic based not petroleum based

I have these on my 360 and all I can say is they work Great
    Money Back if not satisfied

Green Filter USA - Air Flow Simulator - YouTube
    I will be Happy to answer all questions
    Thanks
    Glenn
    ]1-788-888-1600
    610-788-2123
    [email protected]
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. fabo

fabo Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2013
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Fabo
    I have just installed K&Ns on my CF boxes

Should I be worried if I fit new ones and replace instead of re-oil them???

13. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Why no just use the oem filters? Is there something wrong with them?

14. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    That is an option but I was thinking I'd get a little more performance if I used one of the above mentioned air filters.

15. captglen

captglen Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2007
    West Palm Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Glenn L.
    The is no comparison to a regular filter and the Green Dragon Filter.
    See the video and so how much more air can be pushed thru your engine

16. Spdrcrj

Spdrcrj Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I have used K&N and experienced MAF issues on a C5 Z06. It was my fault though as I over-oiled them. I had BMC on my CS with no issues. Only apply enough oil to turn the filter light pink. The BMC's are Italian and what the F1 team uses so I figured they'd be good enough for me. Oh, the extra intake noise of the extra air being sucked in was cool too. lol

17. Falcon Wing

Falcon Wing Formula 3

Aug 4, 2010
    Colorado Springs
    How often do the Green Dragon filters need to be recharged?

18. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley

F1 cars don't use the same MAFS as our street cars do, and even if they did, they would get fresh ones for each race so wouldn't encounter the contamination issue. Race engines are routinely rebuilt much more often than street cars, too, so additional dirt isn't the wear issue it is for our cars. The main reasons for running air filters in race cars is to make sure bigger particles don't get sucked in and cause failure during a race, and to straighten the air flow entering the intake manifold to provide optimum flow with the least turbulence. They don't care if smaller grit wears out the rings or contaminate the non-existent MAFS. An after-race or mid-season rebuild takes care of that. When's the last time you rebuilt the engine in your CS? When's the last time you dyno'd it to make sure you are still pulling the same BHP?

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  19. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    #19 DonJuan348, Jun 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
    When you buy a K&N new make sure you dry it, this way you know its not over oiled and then you have no issues.

When cleaning do the same ... IIRC, 360 filter is also used in Toyota ...

Green Dragon is interesting ...

20. captglen

captglen Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2007
    West Palm Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Glenn L.
    I guess it depends on how and where you drive your car.
    I would say 4000 miles or once a year whichever comes first.

21. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I've used BMC and K& N for years on my p-cars. I never had a problem. When it's time for a new set, don't re-oil and risk fouling the MAF's, just buy a new set if that's what you want to use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

22. hangarsixco

hangarsixco Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2010
    S. California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    +1

Been using K&N on my 360 for a few years now with no issue.

Been using K&N filters on every car I've owned with no issues.

If you do not know how to properly clean, dry and oil you will run into issues no matter what. This would be the case on any rechargeable filter no matter what brand you use.

Chris

23. BEEFCAKE191176

Aug 12, 2014
    UK
    Hi i have fitted a bmc filter in my 430,,found like a small whistling noise on hard raving 4k-7k,
    is that normal??

24. jpk

jpk Formula Junior

Um, did you read page 1 of this thread?

25. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    I have a pair of F430 Green Dragon air filters, perfect as new $175 shipped