What's this F355 worth--Ebay? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What's this F355 worth--Ebay?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Tomf-1, Feb 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

Yeah but Gary, you had never heard of the electric Daytona seats can affect resale by $10k either. That weak structural integrity thing is bunk but the Daytona/electric seat thing is true.

2. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    That's what I mean, I learn something every day, and I'm not being sarcastic.

Gary

3. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

Oh, sorry. I thought that you were being sarcastic.

4. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I would agree that the term "weak structural integrity" is a pretty broad brush to swipe across the entire 355 line. I would be interested in hearing what in fact is the problem, with specifics.

The c-piller cracking IS a known defect though. I have personally seen this on a number of Berlinettas and GTS's. It appears to be just a cosmetic issue, but certainly turns me off.

5. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    I wonder how the structural integrety is of the 355 spider is then?? While there's no C-pillar to crack, does the body flex? Being as the 355 spider is my dream car (while I don't think I'll be buying one anytime soon), I'd be curious to know. I wonder....it reminds me of this test Car & driver or one of the magazines did back in the mid 1980's on convertibles. One of the tests of the structural strength of the convertibles was to drive one wheel up on a curb and see if the car doors would open and close with any problems. My recollection is the 911 cabriolet was the stiffest body in the test, whereas the mustang convertible scored the worst in this test- the mustang's doors wouldn't even open, or they rubbed so much the door didn't close all the way.

Is there a cross-member and/or great effort in the 355 spiders to strengthen the chassis to the point where this is not an issue (the solid feeling I mean, not the specific ability to open a door with a wheel elevated)? Most of the more modern convertibles have this....my old 1990 corvette had a cross-member underneath, and I know porsche goes through great lengths to strengthen the convertibles to minimize or eliminate "cowl shake" all together(thus the additional weight over a coupe).

Overall, due to the technology and better building methods I would find it hard to believe that Ferraris are getting worse at build quality than the "older" cars.... I think they're better and more solid, BUT I have never owned a Ferrari, just making my observation as an outsider...

6. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Can't believe she's back. Thought this auction was successful at $56K.

New eBay link.

Would love to know the story, especially as the original auction was so contested??

7. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas

Whow....No way!!!!! Is this the same wheels, Vic? Thought she was gone!!! Frankly, I thought Alex came out pretty good at $56K esp. since he was expecting hi 40's. I'd love to know the behind the scene story too...

At the riks of substitute assumption for knowledge, the fact it took weeks for the vehicle to get relisted tells me perhaps, there has been some sort of on-going dispute b/w parties that finally just got resolved.....Strange, nonetheless....

8. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Tom didn't you pick up the 512 recently? Is the F355 for your son?

9. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas

Yes, I did pick up a 512TR....but no, it's not for Adam; however, I'm certain he endorses your line of thinking....lol.

Actually, I have been considering adding a second F-car, either a 550M or a 355. God knows, I certainly don't need it....and the temptation should probably be treated with disdain it for many obvious reasons... but it's part of that addiction.

With that said, I don't have any interest in this particular 355. Without full comprehension of what transpired, prospective buyers shoud approach with caution and careful due dilligence.

10. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

I completely understand the addiction. I thought maybe because your son did not like the mustang anymore, you were looking to upgrade for him.

Second F car is a great idea, and I wish you luck in your search, I just didn't think you would be getting the second one so soon! :D

Since your 512 is black and sort of flies under the radar (if any TR can do that), you should get a yellow F355, something in your face type. It will be a good contrast.

Just my thought. :)

11. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas

Ya know a budget tells us what we can afford but it certainly can't stop us from spending....LOL. Thank you and best to you as well.

12. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

You must have a very understanding wife. :)

13. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas

She left me three times over "car related" matters and twice over "car-"unrelated" matters...(ok...I was asked to leave).

I was the catalyst in all five occasions. Yes, she is very understanding and more importantly very forgiving...

14. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Suffice to say you can have 3-4 F cars in the garage and you guys will be together for better or worse :D

So heck with the F355, start looking at F40s :eek:

15. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    A little under three days left, and she's at an ominous $42,666.66. Interesting to see where she ends up, given the original auction went for $56K. Anybody bidding on this and/or have updates as to why the original auction didn't go through?

16. gschiener

gschiener Rookie

Feb 29, 2004
    I believe the original highest bidder's financing fell through...

17. The Mad Hatter

The Mad Hatter Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    The Mad Hatter
  18. F355 GTS EURO

F355 GTS EURO Rookie

Mar 30, 2004
    Anybody have any updates on what the story behind it was? Is it sold this time?

19. The Mad Hatter

The Mad Hatter Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    The Mad Hatter
  20. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
  21. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas

One failed attempt is easy to rationalize... (bad credit, tire kicker...)
    Multiple relists make it hard not to question "what really happened" after buyers' due dilligence.....

Dang it...I just wish someone buys it so this thread I started doesn't keep popping up and temp me to do something fiscally irresponsible....AGAIN....lol

22. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Agreed. I'm sure the 75K mile service not being done had something to do with it. Potentially, buyers may have balked at the cost to get it up to "spec" as indicated through a PPI. I spoke with the Ferrari of Scotsdale head mechanic when this car was first listed (yes, I was thinking of buying it too). While he spoke highly of it (on time service, well kept, etc.) he noted a number of things that could be improved. Some of it just related to deferred maintenance (a little); other stuff that just needed to be replaced due to the high mileage on the car (a decent amount). Can't remember exactly what the preliminary quote was, but I think it was in the $7K to $10K range. Add that to the winning price in the last auction ($56K), and you've got yourself a high-60K's car. Hardly a steal.

23. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Actually the 75k service had been done according to the last couple of auctions. I actually commented on it earlier in this thread, so I'm not sure what the deal is here. I'm guessing either there's something horribly wrong, causing buyers to back out.. Or the people bidding on it are dreamers looking for a cheap 355 and their financing falls through. It sure is tempting though...

-R

24. away

away Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2004
    Lansdale, PA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Does anyone have or remember the VIN from this car?

25. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Ahhh, this thread. I remember it well. - :)

Has the car potentially resurfaced again?