What are your favorite tracks? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

What are your favorite tracks?

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by Ky1e, Feb 5, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jasone

Jasone Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 15, 2011
    Tampa Florida
    Full Name:
    Jasone
    Sebring is #1 for me because it's my home track. Daytona 24 hour course is my 2nd. VIR is my 3rd and Laguna Seca is my 4th.. Other than Sebring, I can't claim any hard core affiliation to the others..

I love driving on any and all tracks.. these are just the ones I have experience on

2. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Laguna Seca

3. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    The Glenn, The Gelnn by far, although i have not done may of the others.
    LRP and Palmer in a smaller car.

4. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    #54 dakharris, Apr 2, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thunderhill last Monday. Big transition from the 550 (which I have retired from track use) to the Evora that does double duty as track car and daily driver. Spent the day exploring (mostly wandering), braking, turning, shifting points. But still racked up 162 miles. Check out the runoff area.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia

Nice.

Evora looks great.

Kai

6. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    #56 Todd308TR, Apr 3, 2016
    I have well over a thousand miles on the Nürburgring's legendary Nordschleife ring in my 2002 Corvette Z06 and a rental. It's truly addictive.

7. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    Something doesnt look right in your first picture but I cant put my finger on it.

8. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Spa, Catalunya, and Monza.

9. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    VIR has to be top, as it's my local. But I think the north course may be a tie for my favorite (with full course): you lost the up-hill esses, but its SO physical, it just never lets up.

Sebring is also spectacular if for no other reason than it will just beat the sh!# out of you; it's like a full-contact history lesson.

Road Atlanta.

Road America is good, but it's not "all that" to me. It feels like a turn followed by looong straight after turn followed by looong straight. I prefer busier circuits.

10. CottonTx

CottonTx Rookie

Oct 30, 2014
    Dallas + Carmel, Ca
    Full Name:
    RsB
    COTA
    Why has no one mentioned Circuit of the Americas ?
    2 days with my 458 spider was one of the greatest experiences of my life!

Cheers
    Grato

11. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    COTA is OK. The facility is amazing. COTA is the new style of F1 race tracks which tend to error on safety which translation into slow corners and not very technical. I like old school tracks Watkins Glenn and Sebring.
    I just got back from VIR. It is too old school. It's narrow and fast. Zero room for error. Nothing between you and the forest except some patches of grass, random tire walls and a ditch or two. I did find a tire wall at 145 mph. I was doing 145-150 mph through the uphill S's. It's just plain dangerous.

12. Joeyung

Joeyung Karting

Mar 9, 2011
    Kentucky
    I seem to enter the uphill esses at about 130 and thought that was about all the car had in it, for sure it was all the driver had in him. Sorry to hear about your accident. Hope you and the car are ok.

13. Sicilian1

Sicilian1 Karting

Oct 7, 2013
    Bethesda,MD
    Agree with Greg about COTA. VERY nice facility but OK track and brutally expensive to rent. I must disagree about VIR. The track has so much to offer and is a blast to drive. The Esses through Oak Tree is one of my favorite sections of the entire CCR series. I don't think CCR had one incident at VIR that was driver error. VIR feels like Watkins Glen with the elevation changes and similar track times. However, I would rather have grass than armco.

I was in a 430 challenge. Entry speed at the north coarse cut off was 142mph, 130's mid esses and 123mph exitiing the top. 145-150 at the entry sounds right for a 458C.

Greg forgot to mention that he put his car back together with a little duct tape help and ran an impressive time of 1:57. Awesome! See you at Road Atlanta

14. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    Not complaining about VIR, just shocked. BTW my driving coach crashed my car not me.

Checked AIM. 145.5 mph through S's. Top speed 165.1 mph best time 156.9
    This car could easily do a 1:53 around VIR

15. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    All great choices, but of them I find Road America my least favorite. I've primarily raced momentum cars there and it's a drafting strategy track and I find the Kink just unnecessarily dangerous. In US VIR, Road Atlanta, Laguna Seca, but so many more not even mentioned like soon to me dead TWS, Thunderhill, High Plains, Pahrump, Hallett, of course I built a house at my Fave, MSR. Safest track in the world, IMO. And if you want to do lots and lots of laps and hang the car out like a jackazz, there is a lot to be said for that.

16. Rothbauer_Racing

Rothbauer_Racing Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2007
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Röthbauer Racing GmbH
    1. COTA (Just clean and fast fun)
    2. TWS (Really going to miss this track!)
    3. MSR Houston (pretty good track)
    4. Harris Hill Road (short but lots of elevation change)

I really need to branch out of Texas and someday soon.

Wish list: Laguna Seca, Sebring, SPA...

17. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    You need another driving coach...

Yes, it could do a :53, or better. But what's important is what YOU do in it.

I have no data (out of terabytes worth at VIR) that flat lines from entry on the level to the exit of Turn 9, not even cars that have MUCH more aero than 458C and doing twenty seconds A LAP quicker than your car. So it's not accurate to say that the car is at 145 mph all the way up to braking for T10.

It's just too steep and the last right in a big GT car like that requires some moderation, either LFB, a breathe late or more likely a breathe earlier. Even with a top level IMSA pro in the car, Sicilian1's experience is my experience...

Congrats on your performance at this great track!

18. rmarchjr

rmarchjr Formula Junior

May 21, 2012
    North east, USA
    The Glen is definitely faster. Many curbs more friendly, very smooth, excellently done.

My brain not so fast, stuggling a bit in the Scud. Weather is cold track is dry 2:06 but the afternoon is young.

19. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    Thank you.

On the slow laps recorded on AIM I saw speeds of 143.9 with a duct tape front bumper!!!

20. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Racing is a lot of waiting. I really like Daytona because when I am not on track I can fish lake LLoyd. Now if they put a shooting range on the property I would be in heaven.

21. Jeffg11

Jeffg11 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 31, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jeff Grabowski
    #71 Jeffg11, May 6, 2016
    The phrase "favorite track" doesn't do justice to a place I can't stop thinking about. Easily the greatest automotive destinations in the entire world is the Nurburgring. I have made 8 trips, and spent 15 weeks there. Obviously the track is legendary, difficult, and very rewarding. What I love about the place is that the entire area essentially exists for one purpose. It is an automotive playground, proving ground, rolling car show, and essentially a lifestyle. I'd move there is a second if the opportunity presented itself. Lucky for me, I don't have to drive during the public sessions. Running with the Industry-Pool is unique to say the least. It is probably the coolest thing I will ever do in my lifetime.

With respect to other tracks, they just don't compare! But if I had to pick my favorite track in North America, I would rank VIR ahead of Mosport and Mid Ohio.

22. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    1) VIR
    2) Mid Ohio
    3) Watkins Glen

VIR is so fun to drive. Has it all. Mid-Ohio like an older version of VIR and my home state and The Glen, well, the history there...you can feel the ghosts in a good way.

MB

23. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I wish they would put some upgrade money into Mid-O. Last year was my first race at Mid-O. We had the best spot in the paddock but the animal roost in the rafters and poop on you and the cars! No thanks, but I'm not sure I would want to be out in the grass paddock when it rains. Locals would tell me to look for a patch of concrete at Tx. I get there and think which patch of concrete? The whole track is asphalt with patches of concrete. I loved the layout however.

24. fire_n_ice

fire_n_ice Formula 3

Jun 9, 2006
    Ditto.

Have driven a bunch of the favourites mentioned in this thread and I'm a member at Monticello, too. But trust me, Mosport is in a league of its own. It takes your breath away, as in you may literally forget to take a breath for the whole lap. The antithesis of the modern, safe and clinically designed circuit. For better or for worse.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

25. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    1) Road America
    2) VIR
    3) Mid Ohio

Running Daytona in December. Hope to also try Road Atlanta soon.