What are TRs REALLY selling for? | FerrariChat

What are TRs REALLY selling for?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by PGrenier, Aug 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PGrenier

PGrenier Karting

Jul 12, 2004
    Darnestown, MD
    Full Name:
    Peter C. Grenier
    Hello, everyone. I am likely getting ready to sell my beloved 1987 TR, which I have happily owned for more than 16 years. Priorities have changed, and, while I have fastidiously maintained it, I simply do not have the time to enjoy it as much anymore. I am trying to get a realistic idea of what these cars are ACTUALLY selling for -- I see them listed all the time anywhere from $125k - $200k+ Mine has 28,000 miles, fresh and up to date engine-out major service, recent going-over, fluids changed, etc. I have made some aesthetic changes -- painted side rockers and front spoiler matching red for an updated look, chrome wheels, Momo billet aluminum King shifter, Alpine Multimedia pop-up stereo. Just wondering whether I should be expecting 6 figures or 5 figures. No urgent need to sell. Any real-world empirical input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much.

2. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #2 Melvok, Aug 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It is selling if a buyer wants to pay his limited price.

I you suspect K$ 150 ... guess yourself what will happen.

Try to get into the skin of a buyer ... would YOU pay tha K$150 or would you look for one at K$95 ?

Good luck ... and let us know please.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Here is my experiende bought from ferrari in june.
    Serviced, 24k miles.
    Dealer wanted 130k. Car sat 7months after serviced and i offered 100k for it and got it.
    That being said someone sold theirs at meccum for 130 with luggage.

Id say to get 120-130 u need: serviced major done; patience; desirable color combo; a good market and great service history. Luggage a plus.
    Id say a great one perfectly sorted will go for this...less if seller desperate.

I see some here in sf with 50k
    Miles and they are not moving at all and price keep going down. I think they will get 70 for it.
    Id say a reasonable one with some tlc needed (say windows slow/not working ; latch not operable to open front and rear etc) but serviced with 30k mile would go for around 90k...

So depending on this id say urs should be in the 110-130k range with patience...;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Indeed !

But "priorities have changed"... we read here. Try starting at K$ 110 ... one may offer K$ 95.

It may go quick then and I assume it is more than what you have paid yourself :D

5. PGrenier

PGrenier Karting

Jul 12, 2004
    Darnestown, MD
    Full Name:
    Peter C. Grenier
    Thanks much for the insights. I have all books and records from Day 1, and service is completely up to date. I even had the engine repainted during the last major, so it really looks pristine. Not trying to squeeze every nickel out of it, but also don't want to get totally ripped off. Of course, with my luck, after I sell it, they will shoot up to $300k...

6. Natkingcolebasket69

Seems like ppl did well at auction these days... a black tr well sorted but with no history aside recent overhaul and 40k+ miles sold for. 135k which is probably like 120k for seller net.

7. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
  8. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Never look back ... sold my 512TR for KE 75 ... one year later people asked double prices (did NOT get that money though :) )

9. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    its a buyers game now but again it will be a sellers game, now is the time to buy these trs imo so much car for the money timeless design and driving exprience is amazing

10. Natkingcolebasket69

I know they made a lot of tr,512 and m but would be good to know how many are left.
    I see so many wrecked that im wondering of the number of good ones left.

11. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    The auctions out in Monterey this past weekend indicate that TR prices have been coming down substantially.
    Bonhams auctioned off a single mirror 1986 red TR with less than 19,000 miles. This car is Ferrari classiche certified and is a FCA platinum award winning example. One of an estimated 300 single mirrors produced for the US market . And it sold for only $107,000!! ( 117.7 if you count the ten percent buyers commission). And luggage was included in that price !

12. Natkingcolebasket69

Although i agree with your statement this is mot entirely true: at mecuum 2 tr with close to 30k miles sold for 130k each. One had luggage; not the other. Not classiche. See other threads.
    I think its all relative eventually they will go up again. A classic is a classic.

HansCH likes this.
  13. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    Bonhams also auctioned off a 1987 red TR with only 4197 miles and luggage for $112,000!! (123.2k total including the buyers commission paid to the auction house ). Both of these red cars had Beige interior.
    The bottom line is that there are a lot of cars sitting with very high asking prices. But that is the key word, sitting. They do not sell at those prices. When a 4200 mile car with luggage and an engine out three years ago sells for 112,000 that tells you where the market really is!!

14. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P

Gooding also sold a 1986 'single mirror' white TR with less than 8500 miles and a platinum award winner for only 127.5

15. Natkingcolebasket69

I agree mine sat. 6 months before i bought it. 100k 23k miles partial luggage

16. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    wow that was an amazing price ,classiche usually adds min 20% more than one without

17. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    its a buyers market imo buy them now and in 5 years poss say remeber when they usto be sold for 120s

18. Natkingcolebasket69

Probably. I genuinely do not intend to make money or sell it ever.

Gary Diercks likes this.
  19. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    i ve said the same as my past cars diablo vt and diablo sv never will sell but i did. mecum monterey sold a 88 tr blk on blk 9k miles for 135k plus fees

20. Natkingcolebasket69

They also sold red on tan for 130k.
    Like my wife tells me if my goal is to make money out of a car then priorities are wrong. Im only 32; if anything anything im hoping to get a f 40 and have the testarossa stay in the family. First ferrari can not go to random hands ;)

21. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    People tend to simply stick with the final selling price of these TRs without really scratching the surface. The single mirror TR was due for an engine out, and not knowing what other issues it may or may not have can easily add $10k. I think there were some very strong numbers from the Mecum auctions and perhaps a bottoming and rebound in the TR prices.

22. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Classiche adds anything ?? NEVER ever heared that ...

It makes selling the car over others imo, nothing more ...

23. Natkingcolebasket69

Amen!

24. TODDZTR

TODDZTR Karting

Aug 26, 2004
    near toronto
    Full Name:
    TODD
    I've been tracking prices around the world for a while now, prices have come down but still quite a few cars for sale even with some reductions in price. I believe I read something to the effect here on FC about the $ commanded for an F car and Lambo's vs newer cars with similar HP levels and virtually no maintenance and still go 200 mph. Potentially one of the many reasons why the slow sales? With that said, some of those cars will and do depreciate compared to the above cars.

Just my 2 circular pieces of copper!
    T.

25. ItalianOne

ItalianOne Formula Junior

May 21, 2008
    Mich
    Full Name:
    Kevin R
    I have watched the prices, some sellers seem to be raising prices on TR cars that are not selling cause everyone else is raising their prices. But I really see the same cars for sale over and over again with no sale unless they are serviced, clean low mile examples. I as a Ferrari owner understand that mindset, but also wonder what is really selling. The Ferrari market always does go through cycles up and down.