Vintage windshields | FerrariChat

Vintage windshields

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by Horsefly, Nov 23, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Whether one is restoring an authentic vintage Ferrari or building your own replica,...where do you buy a real glass windshield? Am I correct in assuming that making a windshield out of plexiglass or lexan is NOT really legal according to the DOT regulations? Where would you buy a genuine glass windshield for a P4 or a GTO or a 57TR? And how much would/do they sell for? An arm AND a leg,....or just a leg? Are there plexiglass/lexan replacements available (assuming they are technically legal)?

2. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Most windshieds can be custom-made.
    I for one have produced dozens upon dozens one-off windshields or other curved glass for variety custom or vintage vehicle applications, including coach built every thing from Bentley, Ferrari, R-R, Talbot-Lago, etc. for 20+ years now with roster of happy(?) clients around the globe.
    Just few years ago I produced small runs of windshields, division glass and rear windows (all curved, laminated safety glass) for series of vintage limousines that were being restored for "Royal family of ....." (think ME) or so I was told.
    I also produce and sell a small variety of production make/model curved windshields, side- & rear windows, including 365 GTB/4.
    I currently have few custom orders pending, some one-offs, some small runs.
    Prices can vary a lot, depending on complexity of the job. Some can cost an arm, some leg, some both.
    And you're correct, plexiglass windshield is not a road legal option, at least not in E.U. or U.S.