Travelling to Tokyo next month... suggestions of places to visit? | FerrariChat

Travelling to Tokyo next month... suggestions of places to visit?

Discussion in 'Asia' started by matumorales, Jul 14, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. matumorales

matumorales Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2011
    Asunción, Paraguay
    Full Name:
    Daniel Morales
  2. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    #2 bjwhite, Jul 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    If you're into models, hit the Tamiya Playmodel Factory in Shimbashi. I loved it. Lots of T-shirts (even vintage style F1 shirts) and large format Tamiya stickers.

Not much else car stuff that I know of in Tokyo proper. Seems most of it is outside...the Honda Museum at Twin Ring Motegi. Matsuda collection is a bit over an hour away from Tokyo. Mazda is in Hiroshima...quite far away.

Otherwise, I don't know of any car stuff there. I will say there is a Toyota museum there locally that has a car section. It's called Toyota Megaweb. Over in Odaiba.

Have fun!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    Search on Google, I'm sure there are hundreds of car guys out there who have asked and recieved reply to the same question :)

Please post pictures of car stuff when you come back.

4. matumorales

Jun 8, 2011
    Asunción, Paraguay
    Full Name:
    Daniel Morales
    Nice suggestion! I'll try to squeeze that one in the schedule! ;-)

5. matumorales

Jun 8, 2011
    Asunción, Paraguay
    Full Name:
    Daniel Morales
    #5 matumorales, Jul 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
    Anybody ever heard about this place?

Motorcar Museum of Japan

Looks promissing!

EDIT:

Forget about it, it's on the other side of the island, sadly :-( Just looked it up on Google Maps

6. nschots

nschots Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2011
    Buenos Aires.
    Full Name:
    Nicolás Sch.
    What about the Matsuda Collection today? Does it still has lots of Fcars, or the biggest part of the collection is gone? Anyway, is there any chance to go? Or is it closed?
    Im also travelling to Tokio soon and would love to know that.

Btw, Matu, también chequeá el Abarth Museum, donde descansa la 33 Stradale Double Headlight. Si consigues la dirección y sabes como ir, por favor cuéntame, ya que me interesa por demás, pero hay poca info. en la web.

Nick.

7. matumorales

Jun 8, 2011
    Asunción, Paraguay
    Full Name:
    Daniel Morales
    Dale, Nick; te aviso de lo que consiga!

Saludos,

Daniel

8. seasonedvet

seasonedvet Rookie

Aug 5, 2015
    I see ferrari represented pretty well all over tokyo. Head to shinjuku, it's pretty impressive.

9. matumorales

Jun 8, 2011
    Asunción, Paraguay
    Full Name:
    Daniel Morales
    Hello everyone!

Well, sad to report that the Matsuda Collection is nowhere to be found... I also inquired about the Abarth Museum, but nobody knew anything about it as well.

Car-wise, Odaiba is the best choice; the Megaweb Toyota store is amazing, lots to see and do... even test-drive some cars and race on kartings (sadly, I didn't get to try the kartings as I was with a rather large group and had to "go with the flow" with their planned activities)

History Garage is excellent! The quality of the displays and the level of the cars shown there is superb! Highly recommended! And there's a very neat "automobilia" store downstairs where you can find... well, almost anything you want for your garage, or your scale-model collection. Prices are high, though... if you look most of the ítems on other stores, you might find better deals.

Brian; your suggestion for the Tamiya Plamodel Factory was right on the spot! Not only did I find an elusive model for my scale car collection (Senna's McLaren MP4/7) but the dioramas and models shown are VERY impressive! A must-see, really.

I must conclude, however, that Tokyo is not THE best place for car-freaks. Sure, there are many amazing cars on the streets... I've been passed by a caravan of 4 Aventadors one time (not enough time to get my camera ready, sadly) and was able to spot a Porsche 918 and a Gallardo on the streets of Ginza, but there aren't places "devoted" to car enthusiasts. I've been told that on the weekends, Ropongi is where the car-scene develops... but I've been here on weekdays, and there really wasn't much to see.

On the other hand, there's like a million interesting places to get to know... all of them very extense. If you plan to go shopping, the Ueno market is the place to go for toys, clothing... even for sex toys! If technology and electronics are your theme, then Akihabara is a must-go. For expesive stuff, like Prada, Dior, Tiffany's and sorts... then Ginza. The Tokyo Skytree is an amazing place... highest place in Tokyo, unless you're taking a helicopter! The Aquarium underneath is very interesting, and the Ueno Zoo is pretty nice as well.

Anyways, still wasn't able to download all the pictures to my computer, I'll do that as I return to Paraguay. In the meantime, I'll be in Tokyo until Wednesday, and plan to do some shopping still...

10. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    #10 ralfabco, Aug 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. 1990ruf

1990ruf Karting

Jun 12, 2013
    Naples FLorida
    Full Name:
    Paul
    If you see any aircooled Porsche with low miles let me know :) Commission paid!

12. クーポン

At your service sir. :)

@ O.P., How long will you be in Japan? Kyoto is just a short bullet train ride away and there's a lot more to see and do there, beautiful this time o' year.

Akihabara for sure, although it isn't quite what it used to be. The Yamanote train will get you there and back from almost anywhere in the city.

13. xku807

xku807 Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2004
    Full Name:
    John
    Got to watch Sumo at Ryogoku last May. Very interesting cultural experience to put it mildly. The normally reserved Japanese get really animated during the matches.

If you like sushi, take a cab to the Tsukiji fish market in the morning and go find the row of small sushi bars in there. Sushi as fresh as can be. Just be careful not to get run over by thhos electric fish carts. :)

14. trmather

trmather Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2007
    Merseyside, UK
    Full Name:
    Tom
  15. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Not to side track too much but Akihabara has a great musical instrument area, quite an impressive amount of great guitars. There is even a store that just has ukuleles.