Throttle By Wire | FerrariChat

Throttle By Wire

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by David Lind, Sep 29, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    This may be an ignorant question, but are all cars with traction control on a computerized or throttle-by-wire system? This query stems from my Mazda RX-8, for which I need to reprogram the throttle after taking some electronic junctions apart to clean them. It is absolutely bizarre ... the car displays no response whatsoever to stepping on the accelerator, but it idles between 2,800 RPM & 3,200 RPM. It goes up and down within that RPM range just as if someone is blipping the throttle.
    Thanks!

2. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    My 2000 Corvette has throttle-by-wire and traction control. Not sure how this helps, though.

3. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Some traction control systems are on the brake/ABS systems, more often the spark timing is used. These systems are faster than the throttle and thus can "catch" a problem faster.

A car with a single throttle plate will have the engine turn over 4-6 times before engine power is reduced back to idle.
    A car with ITBs will have the engine turn over just once before the engine power is down to idle.

Spark timing can reduce engine power in 1/8th of a rotation
    Traction control by brakes is independent of engine speed.