Thomassima II of Tom Meade | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Thomassima II of Tom Meade

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by Scuderia CC, Apr 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #176 shmark, Jun 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Time to update this thread a bit. Recently I got to touch this piece of history and I received permission to post this photo. When I walked into the shop I didn't expect to find this, and my jaw hit the floor when I realized what I was looking at. One of the most beautiful cars ever made. You can see they are making progress as the dash is installed, but still quite a lot of finish work to be done before it's ready for paint.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Where does his dog ride?

3. dino286

dino286 Karting

May 1, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Eugène Vingerhoeds
    What a beautiful memories of "MY" time.
    Thanks to all who contribute.

4. puebla

puebla Karting

May 31, 2007
    Just stumbled upon this thread, and would like to thank all who've shared so much info about a cat I've long admired (specifically, since I read a feature article about him and his creations in Road & Track, waaay back when). I think that, in the right hands, Tom's story would make the basis for a great screenplay.
    What's the current status of Thomassima II's restoration? I saw a short YouTube video of the car undergoing work at Norwood's facility, just East of Dallas, TX. I visited Norwood's facility in the early Eighties, when it was still located in No. Dallas and he was working on his first Ferrari P-4 replica. I later saw it on display at a Dallas auto show.
    Cheers!

5. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Any Updates?

6. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    #182 Ed Niles, Mar 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2012
    Only that I had another meal with Tom a week or two ago. He loves to talk about the old days (It's what we geezers do) and wishes there were more of us around. He continues to work on his latest project, which is for "a wealthy Italian". He has lead a very interesting life, indeed, and has lived in the tropical islands among many other locales. Imagine going to Modena, not knowing the language, barely an adult and with no money, to do what he dreamed of doing. At that age I barely knew how to blow my nose! A good biographer could have a field day.

7. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    When I am next in LA, I am gonna bug on you Ed, to drag me along to join you vintage car rock stars for lunch (dont worry I rarely get to LA :D ). I would be in awe, would love to hear 'story'.....

8. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    I really !! second that idea....why have none come forward by now?

And you would sit in on all of those discussions, and we would get your story at the same time.........

9. CodyY

CodyY Rookie

Apr 4, 2012
    A little google-ing brought me here.

I've recently had the opportunity to lay eyes (and hands) on the Thomassima II.
    A friend of mine works at Red Car Restorations http://redcarrestorations.com/ (Norwood's shop) Bob and Tim were very accommodating of their impromptu guests last Sunday afternoon. I can report the TomII is well on it's way to being completed. I'd been hearing about it from my friend and former co-worker for the better part of two years, but had no idea of it's actual significance and rarity. Much less the entire Meade story. I feel shame as a "car-guy" that I was unaware of such a compelling tale, I can mainly attribute that to the fact that most Ferrari's would be a pipe dream for a guy in my financial position. Not that I wouldn't have one, but it is basically outside the realm of reason at my current state. Fingers X'ed.

The car and several other "rarities" are safe and sound in the hands of the Norwoods, It's not really my place to go around spreading other people's business, but you're all a resourceful bunch so feel free to look them up. I will tell you that there are a number of cars in the shop that any enthusiast will cream their jeans over, and a true Ferrari fan would faint. Twin turbo 308's, GTO land-speed cars, several P4 Norwood Chassis, parts, parts, and more parts.... engines so rare their worth the price of a decent sized home. It's incredible.

I did feel compelled to post a few updated pictures for ya, and a link to their facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Red-Car-Restorations/182687989069

I'll post a couple pics and be on my way. I'm sure the car's owner wouldn't want too much info leaked out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. 2000 CVPI

2000 CVPI Karting

Apr 29, 2012
    Maitland, FL
    Full Name:
    Alex H.
    If anyone is interested in a model of Thomassima III, Hot Wheels made one. I think it was introduced in 2000, so it should be fairly easy to find on ebay or some other website that deals in miniature cars.

11. LamboRider

LamboRider Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2011
    Great photos, Thank you

12. Sempre_gilles

Sempre_gilles Formula 3

Jul 11, 2003
    Full Name:
    AdK
    Is it possible to repost these scans of Arjan de Roos? The Dutch version of Octane magazine recently had an article on Tom Meade which sparkled my interest...

13. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
  14. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    I'm floored. That is just SICK!

15. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Wow ! look forward to seeing it in Monterey this year.