Thinking of upgrading from a MT 360 - Any advice on which model to choose? | FerrariChat

Thinking of upgrading from a MT 360 - Any advice on which model to choose?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by KILOCHARLIE, Oct 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KILOCHARLIE

KILOCHARLIE Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2012
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    KC
    I've had my manual 360 for 5 years now and used her as my daily for the first few years. Despite how much fun I've had with her, she's now more of a weekend/summer car and I feel like a change so wondering what people opinions are on what to change to.

I'm looking for something I can use daily, something thats on the lower end of the market (£100k ish price wise) and most importantly something that will hold its value and not likely to drop dramatically.

A few dealers I have spoken to all say 430 but I would prefer to keep my car over a 430 as for all the effort of selling, sourcing a new car and sorting any issues that that might entail, I would rather keep my car. I know I'm most likely going to have to have an F1 within my budget too although I have accepted this now and made peace with it.

I'm thinking either 599, bottom end 458 or if I manage to find one, a manual 612.

Does anyone have any feedback on these choices, specifically how they think values will hold/decrease on these over say 3 years? Or if there's any other model or even manufacturers worth considering?

I'm guessing a 599 will be a safer financial bet over a 458 as they are still relatively new and more likely to depreciate within the next 3 years?

2. lencap

lencap Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2003
    Raleigh, NC
    Greeting -

You face an interesting decision, one that I did as well. After much uncertainty and angst I decided that having an exotic car for a daily driver wasn't a good idea. That led me to consider other brands, Porsche being at the top of the list. But, after another round of angst I realized that many of the same issues related to Ferrari related to Porsche as well.

So I went in an entirely different direction, and bought a new 2017 Mustang GT. Yeah, I know what you're thinking: "A Mustang! He wasn't really a Ferrari guy - how can he buy a Mustang?" I felt the same way initially, but 435 HP/400 TQ, easy to drive, and making wonderful sounds with a smile on my face all the time, I've come to very much enjoy my new ride. Before you rule anything out, take a test ride with an open mind and you may be surprised.

By the way with year end incentives you can buy a brand new Mustang GT manual transmission car out the door for less than the price of Miata!

You can read about my experience here: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/why-i-bought-a-mustang-gt.560219/#post-145574793

3. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

4. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    599, 458 and 612 are very different cars...all fantastic in their way.

For your £100k budget you wouldn't get a good 458.

You could get a decent, miley, non HGTE 599.

Wouldn't get a manual 612, if that matters.

Could get a decent miley 430 manual.

And you could get a decent 550 (all manual).

These a such different cars to drive, the 430 and 458 build on your 360. The 599 is a hyper V12, 612 is a great V12 if you need four seats, 550 has a different vibe, as a Maranello. As a driving experience, the V8s have a more immediate thrill, the V12s will seem less exciting at first but they arguably have more to give. And they are definitely better constructed.

599s have dipped a lot, but on the other hand 458s are in demand. And the 2+2s have always held their value less well.

ultimately nobody except you can answer the question of whether Picasso or Matisse or Monet is better - like these cars, it's personal.

But if it were me, for one Ferrari, for £100k, I'd be pretty tempted by a 599. Unless I wanted a manual..

5. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    599 as a daily driver ?
    Yeah give me some of that !

But in all practicality a 997 turbo manual is a better choice.

Wont lose a penny but a 599 still has a ways to go.

Or Aston Martin DBS manual ? Good investment IMO.

6. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Get a 550

7. KILOCHARLIE

Oct 14, 2012
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    KC
    Great replies, I've ruled out a 550/575 really unless it would be a no brainer financially, as I'd like it to be used daily it's probably better I go something newer than my 360.

I did test drive a 599 a few months ago and was a bit surprised to how I expected it. Was expecting it to feel a lot faster and also a lot larger than it actually felt. I was impressed but I'm glad you mention other brands too which is something I'm tempted by until f12's or FF's are better priced in years to come. Still it remains my primary choice I think.

997 turbo sounds good from a practicality point of view but I assumed that prices would only depreciate with something like that? Grateful for any advice.

Themaven; how come you wouldn't consider a manual 612? I think it would be ideal for me if I could find one.

I like the dbs idea too, although again I have no knowledge on values and would only assume it would depreciate a fortune of a few years? My car was only supposed to fulfil a childhood dream for a couple of years and cost me £15k at a minimum but I've loved the experience so much and values have held (and even increased) so much I'll never return to a "normal" car because its simply a no brainer. I'm just cautious as I don't want to make a bad decision and end up regretting it.

Thanks for anymore advice.

8. KILOCHARLIE

Oct 14, 2012
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    KC
    Also thanks for the mustang gt advice. Love the thinking outside the box but already scared about leaving the prancing horse brand so probably not for me.

Also I have my first child on its way, due February. Not that it influences my choice much as my girlfriend has a family friendly car and I have a range rover as a daily, 911TT or 612 MT obviously have their ever so slight appeal for the handful of times they may be useful.

9. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    997 tt.
    Or an Audi rs7.

Something practical but will still let the 360mt be a special occasion to drive.

10. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    How about a nice c6 corvette

11. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Regarding the manual 612's, you wouldn't be able to afford one on that budget. The last manual 456M that I saw, sold for nearly twice what the average 456M goes for, and it was a stripper: No shields, no painted calipers, and no Daytonas. I imagine a manual 612 would be way outside, but I've never actually seen one for sale in the US. I heard there was one for sale in Switzerland for a huge premium, though. It would be an amazing car to have.

Interestingly, I chose a 360 stick over an F1/a 612 because I think 612's are still going to depreciate more, especially the late OTO's.

12. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    KC, I like the 612, but unless you need four seats you don't need to deal with the extra weight and size. And as George says, you wouldn't get one within that budget, and who knows if it will hold its value, 2+2 Ferraris are fickle in the market.

For a daily driver a 997 TT manual is a good car, less exciting than the Ferraris...or a Vanquish or 09 DBS but Astons are fragile..you could also get a 991.1 TT. What about a Vantage V12 or V12S manual? Or a Gallardo Performante or other post 2011 model - they are fun.

It's a brave person who would predict the market now. 996 TTS manual is the last Turbo S with a manual - will that help values? But you could in any case get a 430 manual, maybe with miles but decent, for your price.

Try a Conti GT V8 S. They are similar in style to a FF, more refined, cheaper, and can be convertibles. Much more wieldy than the V10 Conti. Slightly older V10 M6 or same era Alpina B6S are monsters also...

Lots of choice! Good luck.

13. lamborarijason

lamborarijason Karting

Sep 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I too daily drove 6spd gated manual 360 for a few years. 599 and 458 are great choices. 599 more GT and 458 more sporty.

14. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I have a MT 360 but it has only been 2 years. I love the car and my previous was an F355 which was my 'hero' car. The 360 for me proved to be a better car and I do love how it looks now. Odd in that when it came out I was not a fan.
    Next year due to finances maturing I was thinking I could possibly (at a stretch) swap the 360 (Manual in the UK also returns a good value) for a 458. However I think I might swap our Alfa Spider for a Maserati 4200 and just swap my DD Merc for something smaller.

My point is the 360 is great car, maybe for the daily chores get something in between (sporting wise) your RR and a 360. A Mustang GT sounds good :)
    Mustang was my favourite car as a child and I will have to itch that scratch one day.

15. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David

You wont go wrong with a manual 997TT. They have hit bottom for the last couple of years. 997.2TT better. The very last manual TT.

IMO the manual DBS is also the last of its kind. Values have stabilised. DONT get an automatic.

Yes the 599 is cool.
    But it still has a lot of depreciation left to go.

If not losing money is the prime goal get the 997TT or DBS in manual.

16. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Where was the manettino set ?