The new Portofino | Page 15 | FerrariChat

The new Portofino

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Lee White, Aug 23, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    +1. Interestingly, rather like the Lusso, Ferrari has two market segments almost to themselves. I'm not surprised about my dealers order book, and that's before we even see the car in the flesh.

2. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    No one who has any idea of what they like seriously cross shops a front engine hard top grand touring car with a mid engine fabric top sports car.

you are either trolling or have no idea what you like

LMFAO

But the Cali nor the Port are 300 BHP are they ? So why make the ridiculous comparison. Theres a term for that logical fallacy but Ill spare you.

As far as 0-60, do you understand that on the street, a difference of a half second is meaningless ?

As far as 1:4 mile, do you understand that on the street, a difference of a full second is meaningless ?

As far as top speed, do you understand that on the street, anything over 100 mph is meaningless ?

3. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Next time read more carefully before defending a position that noone went against. All I was saying is that performance does matter and that's why Ferrari ups the ante with every new model. They could have stayed at 400 horses, which are plenty, but they haven't.

Anything over 100 meaningless? That's funny...

4. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Well to me the new Portofino shows what id consider the natural progression of the CaliT. Most of the changes look to me like they tweeked the design a bit. Its certainly not a huge deviation from the predecessor, but is enough to make it a different car. To me this can only be a good thing, as im going to guess the price of the older Cali's may come down as deliveries for the Porto get closer. Heck yesterday I saw the first Factory certified preowned Cali for under 100k that i have ever seen.

As far as the California and California T, I honestly enjoyed driving both cars. There were things I liked and disliked about both models, However the one key component was my wife liked riding in them, where she didnt like the F430. I liked it better then the Maserati Granturismo and the DB9. It took a few weeks for the california to really grow on me as im not a huge convertable fan, however once seeing and driving the cars in person i was hooked, and i didnt mind putting the top down.

5. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    AMG GT C roster

6. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    #356 635CSI, Aug 27, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    I have a funny story that may give you hope.
    I have a friend who is a sucessful poet.
    He was contacted by Ferrari and commissioned to write a poem which will accompany a film to be made of the 70th celebrations.
    He included various model names in the words, initially including "California" which he dropped from a second or third draft. Maybe it's hard to rhyme something with California, I to have to warn ya ! Anyway the Factory asked him to put the word right back into the poem.
    Would they do that if it mainly referred to a soon to be defunct model?
    Sounds to me that they want to keep the name "out there".
    The poem is called "red". Listen out for it soon.

7. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    You missed my point...

You used the word 'satisfying' which is 100% subjective. Its meaningless which was my point.

8. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Good pick-up.

One of the issues with the prior Cali tail lights were due to being mounted on the trunk lid which is a moving panel for stowage of the hardtop. As such, the rules meant that the light could not be a turn signal or brake light.

In fact I was pulled over and given a warning by an officer for not signaling that I was changing lanes. Nevermind the fact that I was moving to a right turn in lane to a building and not making a turn in traffic. Also I did use my signal. When I mentioned that I had signaled, the officer got testy saying that he knows what he saw. I told him that the tail lights dont work as signal lights and he seemed perplexed. I turning on my signal again and asked him to look at the lower bumper region. He didnt say anything and got into his car and drove off.

By moving the rear light to the side, they are now turn signal and brake lights.

Some Cali owners complained that they were afraid of being rear ended since the uppper lights didnt have brake light function. Some FChatters wanted to do some custon custom work to adapt them to perform as brake and turn lights.

Some are also wondering why the Portofino didn't adopt the quad rear lights--812 style.
    On the 812 the inner lights are the brake lights. So if they existed on the Portofino, they would be basically decorative. Nothing wrong with that though. Perhaps we will see the quad light design on a future Portofino based model.

9. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I doubt you will see different lights on this generation. I think they did a great job and I don't think it competes with an AMG GT. That is meant as AMG's sports car. Not a GT. This is Ferrari's GT convertible. I would agree its useful to see what else is out there- but I have to tell you at least for me, Ferrari really does stand alone. I'm really excited to see this car in person.

10. mickpucc

mickpucc Karting

Aug 6, 2010
    Pa
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo M
    If you have a check book you can get one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    As a consumer, I compare AMG GT/C roaster to the Portofino.

12. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    amg gt convertible might be a good comparo to portofino. a sports car amg would still be less sports biased than a gt ferrari

13. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Does an amg/GT convertible have a back seat? Thought it was a 2 seater .

14. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    pretty sure its 2 seater.

15. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I think I saw 2 "seats" in the back.

16. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Yup, neighbor has coupe it's a 2 seater.

17. FFantastic

FFantastic Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    UK Riviera
    Difficult to compare any MB amg with a Ferrari as they are coming at the joy of driving from the other end of the aguement.

One is scalpel sharp in its responses and requires finesse to extract the best whereas the other celebrates in brutal performance but like all bullies finds it difficult to control its temperament,

18. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Only a two seater for sure. Only direct competition would be Porsche Tubo convertible, but those rear seats I think are even worse. For me, and I suspect many, a no brainer.

19. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Sorry I misunderstood I thought you were saying Portofino is only a two seater.

20. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

I find the back seats on my 911 more useful than my Cali, but maybe that's a generational thing: first gen Cali versus 997.2S Porsche.
    T

21. ferrarip4

ferrarip4 Formula 3

May 8, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Chanh Lê Huy
  22. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Its a 2 seater. You can compare a Bentley also if you like.

23. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Is this an opaque red?

If so is it a new color--perhaps the new model launch color?

Not a fan of it.

24. monsoreto

monsoreto Rookie

Mar 10, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Pasquale Franzé
    It is called Rosso Portofino and it's more of a satin paint i guess.

25. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I think Ferrari are really struggling to keep on finding new reds to accompany each model launch and this is the result.