The new Portofino | Page 14 | FerrariChat

The new Portofino

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Lee White, Aug 23, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    #326 MDEL, Aug 26, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Wonderful. From memory with two Muira V12's

3. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Ahahhahaahha Tim, great "connaisseur"……………..

4. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013

Spot on

5. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    #331 MDEL, Aug 26, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    After you mentioned the two Muira V12's marine engines the ones on picture below are the second version and the story goes more or less like this:

The Riva Aquarama standard engines where the GM's V8 but when Ferruccio Lamborghini ordered his first motorboat of this model in 1968 he equipped it with two Lamborghini V12's. While the pair of V12 Lamborghini motors produced significantly more power than the standard Aquarama’s GM the necessary torque just wasn’t in the right place, and so it was difficult to get the craft to come to plane properly. Riva was called to fit the V8s back into Lamborghini’s Aquarama not long after they’d been taken out. Afterwards and for a question of pride, Lamborghini reengineered the V12's to cope with the marine needs and they where put back again. When this Aquarama left Lamborghini’s possession in the late ‘80s the standard V8s once again were swapped in for the V12s.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    PS- Presently the Riva company is owned by the Ferretti Group and curiously Piero Ferrari the soon of Enzo owns 13% of this group shares.

7. Sir_Ferrari

Sir_Ferrari F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian B.
    Very beautiful car from this perspective! The more often I look at the pictures of the new Portofino and the more new pictures I see, the more I like it! Great design! Well done Ferrari!

8. Sir_Ferrari

Sir_Ferrari F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian B.
  9. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
  10. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
  11. juliei

juliei Formula Junior
    Owner

Apr 5, 2009
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Julie I.
    Do you have to be on someone's "important" list to get one? I absolutely fell in love with it at first site in my inbox--the name, the design, all of it. I wonder if it has that beautiful luggage shelf like the Maranello? Wouldn't that be lovely in the quilted leather? I want a TDF blue one with cuoio interior and custom quilted seats. First new Ferrari in a long time that has me drooling. Ottimo lavoro, Ferrari!

12. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    im pretty sure you can get on the list.

13. Bitcoin

Bitcoin Rookie

Aug 27, 2017
    Welp, thanks for ruining the California T by making it look like a corvette. DISGUSTING. I was seriously considering my first Ferrari but now I know I'm getting a Huracan.

14. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    The Cali was never "the fastest car", neither within the Ferrari model hierarchy nor against its direct competitor. And yet it is the most successful Ferrari model ever.

Pure performance is overestimated, a car must finally convince in its entirety.

It is like in golfing. With the "best" driver in the bag has not played anyone better and you have not necessarily more fun at the game, it only satisfies the ego. ;)

15. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Surely a car must be satisfying to drive, but it cannot be left behind competition performance-wise. Can you imagine Ferrari launching a 300 BHP car in this time and age?

16. kevinof

kevinof Rookie

Jul 26, 2015
    The California was/is FAST. The numbers speak for themselves but that's not what a GT is about. I never drove mine on a track, never reached it's 190mph+ top speed, and rarely broke the 3.4ish seconds from a standing start.

What I did do was put the roof down, turn off the (crappy) audio system and hit the back roads and mountains around Europe , throw it into the corners, dab the accelerator and get instant response, and listen to the wonderful orchestra coming from the back end! fantastic driving.

That's what a GT car is about and this new Portofino will get great. All the best bits from the Cal T plus much better looks and interior.

What's not to like?

17. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Quite a first post!

Dont sit on the fence, you should have the courage of your convictions to say what you think.

The rather dreary Corvette comparisons are rehashed with the launch of every new front engined Ferrari.

18. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Interesting. It may not have worked but just look at the engine bay.

I wonder if that turned out to have been the very early days of Lamborghini marine power or whether that was a later development?.

19. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    +!

20. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #346 uhn2000, Aug 27, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    Haha awesome first post, it's got something that looks similar to a Camero or Corvette but I think it's just the rims more then anything. Plus I find these new ferrari designs dont photograph well - the flesh definitely makes a huge difference.

Oh and btw I think a Lambo Huracan has nothing on a CaliTHS but that's not for this thread. Hehe.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

21. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Tim according to what I could find out the story of the Lamborghini Aquarama had an happy ending like this:

Lamborghini kept his Aquarama until 1989 before selling it. The new owner presumably a German, worried about the size of the bills for future repairs on the unique engines, and he ended up replacing the V12s with the standard GM-based Aquarama V8 units, giving the dual V12's to the Lamborghini museum. Afterwards the boat was abandoned and was in very bad condition and eventually, a Dutch Riva collector found it in 2010 and handed it over to Riva World in Uithoorn in the Netherlands, to be restored. One of the two original engines from the Riva can still be seen in the Ferruccio Lamborghini Museum in Italy, but unfortunately wasn’t available for sale for this restoration project. Two other V12 car engines were bought, one of which in the US, and converted so they would be fully suitable for use in a boat. Thanks to the Ferruccio Lamborghini Museum they were allowed to disassemble and re-create various original parts of the original engine in the museum. The restored Riva Aquarama (pictures I published) was finished in 2013 and sports two Lamborghini 4.0 V12 with six twin Weber carburetors punching 350 bhp, making for a top speed of 48 knots (55 mph, 89 km/h) compared to the 40 knots (46 mph, 74 km/h) of V8 Aquaramas. After restoration, the Aquarama was taken to Italy and shown its creator, Carlo Riva on Lago d’Iseo, where it was built.

22. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    He was never considering a Cali T anyway. Who cross shops a Cali to a Lambo anyway. I think it was just a dig to get a reaction.

23. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    only real competitor to porto is the db11. and thats not even a hard top convt.

maybe an amg 63 is close. porsche turbo cab? none of the mid engine macs or lambos compare. new bmw 8 series might compare.

in the end, porto will be the sportiest gt car on market which makes it best to me

24. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    This over a DB11 all day. These newer cars make a DBS look better all the time thought