The Michael Schumacher Career/Injury/Recovery Thread | Page 191 | FerrariChat

The Michael Schumacher Career/Injury/Recovery Thread

Discussion in 'F1' started by NürScud, Dec 29, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. And that again means what in regard to the price of pianos in New Zealand?

2. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

It has nothing to do with Pianos in New Zealand. We are not talking about pianos in New Zealand. We are talking about Michael Schumacher--a public figure, who loved the limelight. There is some relevance to the ways other families have handled tragedies when public figures are involved.

We who want more information are perfectly within our rights to see how others have handled similar situations for public figures and we--who want more information--are perfectly within our right to suggest that others have handled it in a manner more to our liking.

I don't know anyone on this thread who wishes to have more information who has gotten mad. We have been frustrated, but not mad. Those of you who want to claim some moral high ground about privacy seem the ones who are getting mad.

3. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Public persona privacy aside, this thread is now over three years old.

That's extremely bad for MS's prognosis.

Matt

4. 'Not even angry, let alone mad.

I'm still googling the "rights" regarding outsiders disrespecting how a family deals with their hardships. 'Can't find them, please direct me.....I do know of rights about privacy but public's rights about intrusion upon others rights??? I don't want to live there. ;)

5. Drive550PFB

Rossa Subscribed

Don't rely on google.

Pretty soon, we will have doctors who google symptoms of a disease before making a diagnosis, and lawyers who google some action to see how the law applies. No need to look at a Chem 7 or 20, or study about Younger abstention, when you have google. Heaven forbid somebody actually goes to medical school or law school to learn about a subject in depth. Why do that when we have google?

6. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    Some of these posts make me sick...what sanctimonious BS!

Lets face it--none of us here knew MS in real life...maybe he was a lousy person...who knows? We only know his public persona...the one he wanted us to see I might add.

How could some of you here say, "I love Michael"? Again, you never met him. Lets face it, he is a guy that drives cars REALLY fast and got rich and famous by doing it as well.

MS was my favorite F1 driver of all time but let's put it into perspective and stop the nonsense and idol worship.

7. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    There are no "rights" involved of course. How others have handled it is also irrelevant since there is no right or wrong in how you handle this situation - you just try to survive. Telling people how they feel is also quite childish - since you of course do not know. It's more a reflection of how you want to believe someone feels so that it helps you justify your position. You just expose what kind of person you are, or perhaps what kind of experience you lack, when you fail to realize the error of your position.

Just be empathetic for one second. Put yourself in their shoes. If you can actually do that (many can't) and you will realize you're very wrong.

Someone has lost a loved one - at least as they existed prior to the accident. If you actually care about that person, aside from the entertainment they provided you, then you will respect that highly and accept their right to handle it however they see fit without criticism from the peanut gallery.

8. Lookinup99

Lookinup99 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 24, 2016
    What a sad way for a vibrant,successful man to go out. I am sorry but I am in the camp where some kind of statement should have been made by Corinna;It does NOT have to be a detailed description but SOMETHING for his devoted followers to know about their hero called Schumi. I predict the only time we will hear something is when he passes from the internal hell he is in to a hopefully better place....

9. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I think some form of silent statement has been made by the Schumacher family.

Something like: "Move along, there is nothing for you to know!"

Most people understood it.

10. Drive550PFB

Rossa Subscribed

We live in a society that is peering into our private lives as never before in history. Log on to any computer and you will be given push-ads about hotels or even shoes. These push-ads are a result of an algorithm which defines you. Try this . . . search for brooks brothers shoes. Log off, and then log on to your computer again, and surf for a few minutes. You will see a brooks brothers ad in no time.

This intrusion is compounded when public figures decide to exploit their fame by selling products. Whether it is wearing a watch, or getting millions to wear a hat with a bank's name on it, or cigarette ads which are simply bar codes on the side of the car. All of these are used by public figures to influence the very choices we make. Every single day.

I have said, over and over, that the Family has EVERY RIGHT to handle this they way they want. But I have said that the fans, the consumers and the eyeballs--we who see the bar code on the side of the car, we who see the hat, we who see the patches on the uniform, we who see the commercials in print or on TV--we have every right to WANT to get information, and we have EVERY RIGHT TO EXPRESS our frustration at the lack of information.

If that defines me, then so be it. I am no less a person for expressing my feelings honestly, rather that the feigned outrage that many on this board seem to want to foist on people like me.

You guys use words like "helps you to justify your position," or "You just expose what kind of person you are, or perhaps what kind of experience you lack, when you fail to realize the error of your position."

You don't ****ing know me at all. And you stand here and moralize about me. Geez. Get off your high horse, and join those of us who understand reality.

Agreed.

Oh, and the statement that we should move along, there is nothing to see here. That is most often said when there is decidedly SOMETHING to see here, and those of authority are telling us to avert our eyes.

11. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    The family absolutely has the right to do whatever they want. I don't think anyone is denying that. BUT this entire situation has prompted me to have a long, serious discussion with my husband about how to handle things if something similar ever happened to me. No, I'm not MS famous, but millions of people have read my books and interact with me on social media. If something happens I want him to share with my readers exactly what, how, what the prognosis is and if there is any improvement or none. That's my choice. I want the people who supported my career to know.

The sad part about this is that while MS was my favorite driver and I love what he brought to Ferrari and the sport, I rarely think about him anymore and I'm guessing that's the case with most. And people can keep trotting out Senna all they want and claim it's the same, but it's not. Senna died and more importantly, he died on the track. That's what keeps him in the forefront of peoples' minds.

12. "You don't ****ing know me at all."

Some of us do. We've read enough of your posts.

Sunracer likes this.
  13. Drive550PFB

Rossa Subscribed

See? I keep saying that those of you who are in the camp of Michael worship have this streak of anger running through your veins.

Why don't you ask me about Piano prices again?

14. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    dude is fascinated with piano prices. :rolleyes:

daytona355 likes this.
  15. It's apparent you didn't quite get the reference to the price of pianos in New Zealand, eh?
    It was a rhetorical question.

No anger in these veins; 'just a pitiful chuckle whilst observing the source of the anger... "You don't ****ing know me at all." 'Rather defensive sounding...

One feeling entitled to others personal information is revealing. "Rights are good, as long as they suit my desires and I can dictate them.", eh? ;)

Enuff on this.

16. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City

Jana is one of the very female posters here...take it easy and give her a bit of respect for that!

17. #4767 lorenzobandini, Feb 12, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    I was taught very young to have respect for anyone 'til they do something to deserve losing it. Having to resort to such language is a reason for me to lose some... ;)

(edit: What has this to do with Jana?)

18. Drive550PFB

Rossa Subscribed

Oh, I got the reference to the piano prices, but I do not accept the premise of your rhetorical question. In fact we are 3 years into this thread and you are raising a rhetorical question about relevance?

Once again, you show shallowness in your posts. And I guess I have to point it out, but notice how I phrased that--shallowness in your post. I didn't call you shallow, I called your post shallow. Maybe you can see the difference. Maybe not.

Let's see . . . Flash and I disagree on just about everything on F-Chat, and we have had, probably, a thousand responses to each other. And despite that experience, I would never presume to know Flash beyond his posts. You and I have gone back and forth less than a dozen times, and you presume to know me. And to me that is just plain ridiculous.

Oh, and about "resorting to such language?" What language. There are four asterisks in that word. There is no language there. If I had wanted to resort to "such language" I could have easily circumvented the profanity filter.

Finally, I do not believe I am entitled to the personal information of others. If you conclude that you have not understood a single thing I have written. I believe that Michael's family is entitled to keep all matters private. I have said over and over that I believe that they have not handled this well, but they are certainly within their rights.

I have said this often. Have you even read my posts? You claim to have, because you claim to know me. But you fail to understand my posts on rights. Perhaps, that was rhetorical on your part, too.

Now, please, enough with the personal insults.

19. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    #4769 intrepidcva11, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    As an F1 fan in general and a Ferrari tifoso in particular since the 1950s, for many months after Michael's accident I was on this thread regularly and scanned the car mags and the sports pages of daily newspapers for news about his condition. I have a small background as a volunteer in medical care, president and Board chairman of a very large geriatric institution in New York City. After perhaps six months I concluded that Michael's prognosis was very bad indeed and stopped referring to the thread, coming back maybe every six months, though I think this is my first visit in over a year.

While I agree fully that Corinna has a right to do what she wishes since it is clear that she can afford to keep him on life support indefinitely, in my mind and perhaps more important in my heart Michael actually died in the hospital before being transported home. Corinna virtually acknowledged that by commenting in summer 2015 when she sold his jet and chalet in the French Alps that he will never enjoy them.

That being true, at least in my mind, this will be my last visit to the thread. Until the news arrives that Corinna has authorized the ending of life support.

20. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Let's not forget that MS actually died on the chopper to the hospital and had to be revived

21. Andrew D.

Andrew D. F1 Rookie

Jul 6, 2008
    Goodwood Ontario
    Full Name:
    Andrew D.
    They also treated a pneumonia one month after his accident to prevent him dying again. That's when you need good medical advice to do the right thing.

22. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Andrew, at that point I'm inclined to believe that the physicians did not yet know enough to conclude that his condition was hopeless. But this is all conjecture and I'm past that.

Out.

23. Andrew D.

Andrew D. F1 Rookie

Jul 6, 2008
    Goodwood Ontario
    Full Name:
    Andrew D.
    So am I. Just feel so sorry for this situation.

24. Drive550PFB

Rossa Subscribed

I believe that they knew it, but because he was famous, and because his wife had virtually limitless money, they gave her a choice and she made the choice. Not the choice we made when we had to decide to remove my dad from life support for much the same condition, but a choice nevertheless.

I still miss my dad, two and a half years later. But no one in the family regrets our choice. He had an active bleed in his brain and he had softball-sized pool of blood in his head; and he was on blood thinners. We could have taken heroic and expensive acts, and his chance of recovering fully was about one in a hundred thousand, if that.

25. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    My mom past away when I was 17 in 1984....3yrs battleing acute lymphocetic leukemia(terminal)....I understand this all too well. She suffered mentally, physically, and soul-fally and was not the same person. I sympathize and emphathize with mercy-killing. I GET IT. Until you go through it as a person/family, you really don't get it.