The " AMMO " Videos | FerrariChat

The " AMMO " Videos

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by msdesignltd, Jul 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Good information thanks for posting.

2. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    #4 carguyjohn350, Jul 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    obbob likes this.
  3. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GukJTehoHP4[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WW7Ol0g078&t=5s[/ame]

4. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I don't really care to subscribe to any YouTube channels but his is one of only a couple I subscribe to (Marques Brownlee and Jay Leno Garage being the other two). His videos are very well edited and informative. It's refreshing when most car related content involve people holding their cameras like selfies and playing the same license-free crap background music.

Keep it up Larry!

5. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Yea, Larry is humble and honest.
    Never self absorbed or bragging.
    Eats lives breathes , detailing!

goose22b likes this.
  6. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    I've always wondered if he has looked into dry ice blasting for restoring and detailing car interiors, undercarriage, and engine bays. It's an interesting thing, but doesn't seem to be used much in the US for cars...I've only see it used for historic buildings here in town.

7. mvaldezf60

mvaldezf60 Karting

Feb 16, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    His videos are very helpful and have always proved effective when put into practice.

8. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    He's supposedly one of the best people out there, and his videos are pretty good!

9. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    #11 Dave rocks, Jul 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
    In part, I think his videos are good and informative, however, I think he talks way too much :)

Also, he does make a fair amount of mistakes, or should I say he misspeaks. The one that comes to mind is when he is buffing a 95 355 (a member here's car) and goes on to say it has a clear coat and he is getting color on the buffing pad. The car in question is 100% single stage.

Here it is. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=of_dYnl60Kk

The level of cutting in this video is seriously damaging to the paint as these cars just don't have much material. Ask me how I know....

10. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Yeah, it makes sense there is red on the pad as it's single stage and not base/clear where the pad shouldn't pick up color...unless you tear through the clear lol.

How can you tell he took down too much or just in general if someone does without measuring the paint thickness itself?

11. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    355's in general don't have a lot of paint - single stage 355's are very thin. About enough for one paint correction at best. "Mowing" it down is just not a good idea.

12. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    +1
    The video that comes to mind for me is his key scratch repair.
    He's passionate, but not omniscient.

13. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    You mean the mercedes G wagon
    He should have discarded that one
    It was bad to say the least

14. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    I agree...I knew which one he was talking about too without giving the specifics of the G. I'm surprised he has a clip of it in his intro to each video...

15. Todd Helme

Todd Helme Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2007
    Oviedo Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd Helme
    "The level of cutting in this video is seriously damaging to the paint as these cars just don't have much material. Ask me how I know...."

I have probably polished upwards of 20 F355's, and the paint readings on the cars are all over the place... Usually you are around 3.5 mils of color on the doors, fenders, the engine cover can vary from 2.5-4 depending on where you measure, and the bonnets are all over the place... A lot of these cars have one or two panels which have been repainted at some point, and these can have 8-10 mils of total build.

Also, you can remove 90% or more of scratches and remove less than .1 mils of paint.

16. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I have and use a paint meter and I can tell you on single stage, 3.5 mils (.0035) is about as thin as it will get before seeing the base primer bleed through.

I won't machine Polish anything less than 6 mils again. Remember, the readings are total thickness and not just color coat.

17. Todd Helme

Apr 2, 2007
    Oviedo Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd Helme

There are a lot of cars whose total thickness is less than 3.5 mils, from etcher up to the top of the clear coat.

Ultrasonic paint gauges measure different layers of paint, not just total thickness.

Color change will occur on most colors (depending on the contrast between the primer and the color coat) at around 1.2-1.4 mils, with exception being a bright color like red on a white or black primer - then you might see color change around 1.6-1.8 mils.

18. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I've measured alot of cars. My colleagues Suburu is the thinest I've ever seen at 4 mils.

I own a single stage 355 and sold one. Very familiar with the readings and I know for certain anything below 3.5 mils is game over.

Your prior post you reference .1 mils which is .0001". No disrespect, but that is nothing - do you realize how small that is? For those who don't, a human hair is .003". So, .1mil is 30 times smaller. Most scratches in single stage will be much greater than that. If they were only that deep, you would not need a machine to remove them.

19. Todd Helme

Apr 2, 2007
    Oviedo Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd Helme

20. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Todd - obviously you are a pro at this but I too have experience. My reference to owning the car was not a qualification other than having polished it. I know from experience, below 3.5 mils on THAT car was all that was left. And, being a mechanical engineer, machine shop owner and painter, I'm pretty accustom to dealing with numbers in .0001" which is nothing ;)

I have another just like it in the garage that will be getting a bare metal respray, so if you want a test bed, come on by :)

21. IRdetail

IRdetail Rookie

Aug 14, 2017
    Brentwood, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff McGoveran
    Todd is one of THE top guys in the industry. His experience level is off the charts.