Thanks Brexit! | FerrariChat

Thanks Brexit!

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by irvinest, Oct 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. irvinest

irvinest Karting

Sep 13, 2014
    UK
    Got a call from my dealer today list prices in GBp going up for 2 cars I have on order for next year for any cars delivered after 1/1/18 - 488 spider from list of £204k to £219k, and list on the 812SF up £10k to £262k.

Special thanks to the fall in the value of GBP from our Brexit voting population.

2. odf911

odf911 Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    London UK (Chelsea)
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Wait until Boris becomes MP ...

3. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    So if the exchange rate goes the other way, your price will go down?

I'd check the detail in your contract regarding currency fluctuation and if it's mentioned what % change in rate triggers a change in price.

4. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    First off if it is currency, I'd want to understand why the rise on the cheaper car is 50% more than the V12?

I'd also ring and ask other dealers what the score is.

5. irvinest

irvinest Karting

Sep 13, 2014
    UK
    This isn't a dealer specific thing, these are Ferrari U.K. List price changes, as with most manufacturers list prices go one way. I suppose I rationalize the 488 price going up more than the 812 as it was set longer ago, as opposed to 812 whose price was released mid last year?
    Since June last year Euro/gbp rates have fallen from 1.30 to 1.115 so the best part of 15%, looking at it that way and given almost all of Ferrari costs are euro based then the price increase put forward don't maintain the margin for them.
    In the event that sterling will rise will we see a price cut ? Not a chance I would say, but then a stronger sterling I am afraid seems a differnent reality to the one we are living in for the next few years.

We also haven't talked yet about the changes on list prices of options which will surely change as well from 1/1/18.

6. irvinest

irvinest Karting

Sep 13, 2014
    UK
    At the risk of taking this topic off a pricing discussion and into the realms of politics. Boris as PM please god save me the man is a buffoon, who goes jogging in £200 a pair Vilbrequinn swimming shorts - answer Boris this week - way to keep in touch with the man in the street Boris.

Sadly I think May will soldier on as the Tories don't have a plan B. And a Tory civil war could leave the way open for Comrade Corbyn, god help gbp if that happens.

7. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    He already is. MP for Uxbridge and South Ruislip. :)

8. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Dream on: two years ago in the uk BMW put their prices up despite the exchange rate going in their favour

One or two super-Ferrari models have been sold new in Euros globally but as for the man in the street no chance

9. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    Just wait another year and you will be paying import duty on them too.

Gullwing likes this.
  10. odf911

odf911 Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    London UK (Chelsea)
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Yes indeed, i meant PM!

11. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    ....and I will vouch they will still probably cost the same as the UK is still an important market.....
    What does a 488 GTB cost in the US? Are they really 10% (the WTO tariff on cars) more than the UK....I thought they cost about the same?

There's a thread on PH about the rise but says it is global 7% increase. If that's the case Brexit has even more to answer for

OP...Enjoy those cars in good health.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    If that happens then sterling will be worthless and our country the laughing stock of the world. Total ****wit

13. StickBreitling

StickBreitling Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2012
    Might have to start stocking up on spare parts in case customs taxes come into force

14. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

The rate of exchange has nothing to do with it. Prices are going up the same amount in the USA next year.

15. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    3 % in EU according to this post so they are punishing us !

16. MaseratiMike

MaseratiMike Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The problem is some companies like to use Brexit as the excuse for raising prices or redundancies, cost of ingredients and will make it more difficult to trade etc..

A lot of it is complete BS, a lot of these redundancies or price hikes in some areas were planned in advance. Considering Brexit hasn't actually happened yet....

17. willfinch36

willfinch36 Rookie

Dec 16, 2014
    United Kingdom
    Quite!!!!

18. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    The GBP falling by 20% as a result of the vote, and a loss of business confidence has though.

19. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    It's a real shame they can't announce an outline of their plans, and where it might likely lead, and then have a second referendum on whether those terms are acceptable. Course, asking for common sense from the fake Iron Lady or as likely as Corbin passing his 11+ (for those US readers, that's a test that in the 50's was applied to children of 11 to see if they were worth sending to high school or not, or were they too thick!)

20. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    As an outsider with some insider knowledge of the English political system. I believe we focus on negatives too much. In 1976 Canada made a law that radio and television must contain a certain amount of Canadian content. Here in BC our local broadcasters since there wasn't many Canadian TV sitcoms. Basically said we are "British" Columbia and therefore British television is Canadian content. So I grew up in the 1970's with On The Buses, Till Death, etc... In my teens Red Dwarf and even Doctor Who. I even watched Keeping Up Appearances. I didn't buy Judi Dench as M because of Time Goes By....... France, Germany, and Italy don't have the greatest track record when we let them run Europe! As far back as 44BC. Friends Roman's Countrymen, for I have come to bury Caesar not too praise him! I fear appeasement of the European Union won't lead to another finest hour: "Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves that, if the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, 'This was their finest hour'." House of Commons, 18 June 1940 Winston Churchill......................those that don't learn from history are doomed too repeat it! history has proven a strong Great Britain the world is a better place.

MalcQV likes this.
  21. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    Well, I agree with you (which might be a first), except that Corbyn must've passed his 11+ because he went to the same Grammar School as me ... although about 10 years before me.

22. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    He cheated off someone else Patrick! Hes thicker than custard

23. odf911

odf911 Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    London UK (Chelsea)
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Unfortunately, the British public was misled as there is nothing to negociate, the UK red line (immigration) is also the EU red line (freedom of movement), anything else is Boris banter, political hot wind and in the end wasted public money. What the EU now needs is enough budget certainty to bridge to the next budget cycle and for that they need the UK to pay what they perceive as committed contributions. Once this is out of the way, the UK should leave and take their destiny in their own hands. WTO tariffs that is. My prediction is that the economy will tank - 2007 all over again, possibly worse - but the UK is resilient and resourceful so it will probably 'only' take 6 to 8 years to recover somehow. This is will of the people and sooner they own it, the better ...

24. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Christ, you're cheerful! Haha. Won't tank, we need a strong leader to get in there, tell the Eu what we want, and what they are going to get, and screw their money unless we get a good deal. Why are we so scared. If it has to be, it has to be. I'd prefer to stay in, so maybe time someone stood up and offered the option

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

25. odf911

odf911 Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    London UK (Chelsea)
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    The UK vote was an emotional vote and so is the EU response. More importantly, the EU cannot afford to give the UK what they want and the situation in Catalonia has made things a lot worse ... so you are right what has to be has to be. As to the large sum of money at the center of the debate, it may end up into a legal fight but I don't believe so as it would be quite damaging for all parties. On this last point, I think a settlement will be reached ...