Tailor Made Shades of Grey F12Tdf | FerrariChat

Tailor Made Shades of Grey F12Tdf

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by icoburn, Oct 8, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. icoburn

icoburn Karting

Jun 14, 2012
    Franklin, TN
    Full Name:
    Ian Coburn
    My Tailor Made F12Tdf was delivered late this week. I have been spending as much time as possible enjoying it before the weather turns to torrential rain. I have been somewhat limited on time to capture quality pictures. There are a few floating around social media and reposted on fchat, with less than optimal quality and lighting conditions while the car was going through pre-delivery paint correction and protection film application. I bring this up because the paint is quite unique, I’m actually surprised that a grey paint can be so dynamic and have so much character, this is largely due to the triple-layer process. The Tailor Made team and Zanasi did an incredible job creating what I feel is a very special paint. Like many 3-layer paints the characteristics change greatly based on the lighting environment, which is why I love them; it seems like you are getting multiple paint jobs in one and certainly sometimes it feels like you are paying for it too LoL. It’s not for everyone, but to me the added value to the ownership experience is worth every penny.

In the pictures below, I’ve tried to capture some of the dynamics of the paint, which is not easy to do, it ranges from bright silver to almost gun-metal. (No filters or photo editing software used.) I have yet to see another Ferrari grey paint do this and I would argue it’s difficult to place it exactly in the color palette, but if I had to, its somewhere between Titanio and Grigio Ferro. That said, it is more of a true grey base tone than either of those colors.

A little insight on the design and selection; my wife and I went to our Tailor Made appointment in Maranello early June 2016 with a basic design idea; we wanted to be true to the aggressive styling of the F12Tdf but also bring in some of the classic styling of some of the 50-60s “golden era” GT cars. Color-wise we were considering a custom color and the front running idea was something similar to Grigio Fumo or one of our favorite colors Grigio Ferro, except with more grey in the base layer and a triple-layer process if possible. True to the Tailor Made experience, during the course of the conversation the team went into the archives and pulled out a prototype color they had been working on that we all agreed was a perfect fit, they also suggested another prototype color called Pure Metal Silver for the custom stripe. We went back and forth on the color name and couldn’t come up with something we liked, so we agreed to use Grigio Coburn. All the credit goes to the team at Ferrari for the creation of this beautiful color. The other exterior elements include brushed finish Cavallino on the wheel caps, front and rear bumper. The Ferrari script on the rear hatch in a matte version of Pure Metal Silver. We selected Diamond finished wheels, Aluminum calipers, Titanium Exhaust tips, all the available carbon fiber including the engine compartment and headlight buckets. The dealer installed the brushed titanium fuel door pre-delivery, at the time of our Tailor Made appointment it was not available.

For the interior, we used one of the standard racing seat designs and deviated the pattern on the backrest so it had a consecutive stripe down to the bucket. We added inserts to the outside of the seats in a Poltrona Frau light grey leather called pewter, which was also used on the central part of the seat stripe, passenger knee-pad stripe and boarder for the alcantara carpets. The seat inserts, lower dash, upper central tunnel, headliner, luggage straps and door handles were done in a Frau medium grey leather called Slate. The rest of the interior was covered in a smooth nero leather and the contrast stitching was done in a bright medium grey thread. Diamond stitching was added to the central tunnel and luggage shelf. The Tachometer color in aluminum. The interior trim details including the Ferrari script, air vent cowls, rings on the transmission control and cup holder ears were done in a matte version of Grigio Coburn. In addition to the standard matte carbon fiber interior trim, we added carbon fiber floor boards and carbon fiber rear shelf and bench.

I am thrilled with how the overall design turned out. For anyone who enjoys customizing their cars with almost unlimited options Tailor Made is nothing short of an incredible experience. I am very grateful for the Tailor Made teams ongoing creative help and guidance. I also feel so fortunate to work with Ferrari of Atlanta, who played an important role in the realizing to me what is a dream come true. I cannot praise them enough; the end-to-end experience has been exceptional. Everyone from the management team to the service depart are the best at what they do, they are pure class organization.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. icoburn

icoburn Karting

Jun 14, 2012
    Franklin, TN
    Full Name:
    Ian Coburn
  3. icoburn

icoburn Karting

Jun 14, 2012
    Franklin, TN
    Full Name:
    Ian Coburn
    [​IMG][/URL]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

bluesea, adci, Makuono and 17 others like this.
  4. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    Ian, it’s difficult to accurately capture the aesthetic details of most modern Ferraris in photos, but these pics do a great job. It’s a phenomenal design inside and out. I think the monochromatic design brief made the project even more difficult but you nailed it. Glad I got to sneak a peek before it left Ferrari of Atlanta. Congratulations on an amazing interpretation of the perfect classic 1960’s GT. Grigio Coburn is sick! I love the titanium gas cap, too. Fits the color palette perfectly.

Thank you also for introducing Nathalie and me to the Tailor Made program. We thoroughly enjoyed our TM experience last month and look forward to returning next year when the new design center is open.

Hope the weather turns gorgeous again soon!

of2worlds and icoburn like this.
  5. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    Your new TDF is stunning!

6. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    Just wow! The way everything flows together from the exterior to the interior topped with the quilted leather is just amazing! Thanks for those incredible photos.

icoburn likes this.
  7. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Absolutely beautiful colour and spec. Quite possibly the nicest tdf I've seen. Congrats!

Do you know if Ferrari will produce a colour sample of Grigio Coburn for potential customers to look at or can it only be seen at the factory when doing TM?

8. icoburn

icoburn Karting

Jun 14, 2012
    Franklin, TN
    Full Name:
    Ian Coburn
    Thanks buddy. Cant wait to see your TM 812!

Bundy likes this.
  9. icoburn

icoburn Karting

Jun 14, 2012
    Franklin, TN
    Full Name:
    Ian Coburn
    Thank you!

10. icoburn

icoburn Karting

Jun 14, 2012
    Franklin, TN
    Full Name:
    Ian Coburn
    Thanks deltona! I am sure your could request it through your dealer. There is also a sample in the TM room.

11. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Unique and spectacular! Well done!

SV

icoburn likes this.
  12. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Congrats and thanks for the pictures, it's a great result.

icoburn likes this.
  13. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    Absolutely stunning! I am speechless at how good it turned out! I was going through the text while the pictures were loading, and wasnt sure about the interior from just the description... But then I looked at the pictures! It is truely a masterpiece, and the color, and color combination is just spot on! Well done, congratulations!

icoburn likes this.
  14. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    Your new TDF is stunning!

icoburn and of2worlds like this.
  15. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Congratulations epic result and nicest Grey tdf by a country mile, if not one of the nicest full stop!

16. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Stunning!
    Speechless. You and Traveller have the most beautiful F12tdf's in existence!

Bibendum and icoburn like this.
  17. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    So beautiful and tasteful!

icoburn likes this.
  18. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    You certainly challenged the talent at 'tailor made' with your design choices. They in return have delivered a masterpiece of Ferrari design with spectacular details.
    I somehow don't think this will be your last collaboration with 'tailor made'.
    Thank you for sharing your special tdF design here.
    CH

19. Melons

Melons Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2013
    Ian, It is truly outstanding, well done!!! That paint and the interior are matched perfect..

icoburn likes this.
  20. icoburn

icoburn Karting

Jun 14, 2012
    Franklin, TN
    Full Name:
    Ian Coburn
    Thanks everyone!

of2worlds likes this.
  21. Gullwing

Gullwing Karting

Aug 30, 2016
    Beautiful Grey, looks spectacular!

icoburn likes this.
  22. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    First of all, Congrats Ian, It was a pleasure to read and to watch. You're living your dream of creating your cars according to your tastes, and travelling with the wife to maranello to live a Tailor made session must be one of the most enjoyable experience for a Tifosi

@Bundy : Your statement according to wich it looks "Nothing" like Grigio Titanio is false, according to the father of the color himself, GC is clearly in that area even if Grigio Coburn is unique and has its own personnality.

Having seen those new pictures, more accurate than the others posted in the tdf thread, I don't say anymore it looks like GT. I say it CAN remember GT under some lightning

But it's false to say it looks nothing like GT.

bonneau13 and icoburn like this.
  23. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Congratulations your car is an overall preciosity and like (Deltona) Justin already mentioned certainly one of the nicest TDF's we've seen. I like Grigio and I'm used to contemplate this color in the sun and in the shade and to my eyes the Grigio of your TDF shown in the pictures is absolutely stunning .

24. Griffon83

Griffon83 Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2016
    Greece
    Full Name:
    Nassos
    Congratulations for your car Ian!

I LOVE the diamond stitching pattern on the central tunnel and the parcel shelf on any Ferrari, it gives that added "luxury" element you find on Bentleys.

Solid State and icoburn like this.
  25. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    #25 Bundy, Oct 9, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
    I’ve seen the car in person and see only minimal blue in it compared to GT. To my eyes, it’s a pretty pure gray. Ian and I actually discussed this by phone. As Ian said, the beauty of these triple layer paint is the way they transform in different lighting conditions. Hope you’re no longer disappointed after seeing better quality photos.

of2worlds likes this.