Superformance Bushings Install | FerrariChat

Superformance Bushings Install

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Gossimer, Sep 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gossimer

Gossimer Rookie

May 5, 2013
    Melbourne, FL
    Hello,

I have a 1988 Mondial 3.2 and I am replacing the suspension bushings. I ordered the Bushing kit from Superformance but I have a few questions they were not able to assist with.

1. When I removed the bushings there were no tac welds as in previous year cars. All 16 bushings were the same, but the kit received from superformance there are 8 of one and 8 of another, not all the same. What is the difference?

2. There are 4 rubber bumpers included, but my car only had 2, where do the other 2 go?

3. What are the four small rubbers and the two other small pieces for?

4. Does anyone have an easy install guide?

I appreciate any assistance and thank you in advance.

Attached Files:

2. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    My first guess:
    The small ones look like injector rubbers, which surround the injectors, but only 4 and not 8... ?
    The dark red ones are for the torsion bars (front & rear)

Not really customer friendly if they can't explain what it's for

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    That "kit" looks like it is only for the rear, and they (wrongly) sent 4 of the red rubber roll bar bushings. The part number 103170 is correct for the rear A-Arm bushings (and a Mondial 3.2 does use 16 of those at the rear) -- could just be two different manufacturers, or different batches, for the visual difference, or some front A-Arm bushings got mislabled. All those parts are shown here in the SPC (the little stuff is for the roll bar drop links - items 18 and 21):

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v6-v8/mondial-group/mondial-3-2/rear-suspension-wishbones.html

Was the "kit" advertised as being for "front and rear" or "rear only"?

4. Gossimer

Gossimer Rookie

May 5, 2013
    Melbourne, FL
    The kit is for rear only. It looks like I have the 2 D rubbers for the rear and got 2 for the front, I will just save them for the future. Yes, I see where the 4 small ones for the drop links and I think I will just put 2 black bushings and 2 of the other bushings on each A Arm and put the black ones closest to the engine.

5. RoVer6881

RoVer6881 Rookie

Nov 14, 2018
    Belgium
    1 As you look on their website you can see that they have a set but they also sell each bushing seperate. The 'black' bushings are the hard type while the other are the softer type. I'm not sure where the black ones need to be placed.
    2 The 4 bumpers (I assume the red ones) are for your antiroll bar. There should be 2 sets with different internal diameters. It depends on the year the were made. There is a larger diameter anti roll bar and a smaler one. They don't know witch one you have so they provide both. You can toss the other 2 because you won't ever use them.
    3 The 4 small rubbers go on to the linkage between the anti roll bar and your suspension. The light grey 'figure 8 piece'
    The 2 other small pieces should be the bushings for the shock absorber.
    4 No manual here but if you got one , let me know! Or if you have expercience with placing the set on your car I would be glad to hear about it.

hope this helps a bit.

6. AndruL

AndruL Karting

Apr 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    AndruL
    Hi, any update or advice you can give us on this job? TIA.

7. 85QVEuro

85QVEuro Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2021
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Joe
    So 20 years later, I am installing new bushings in my front and rear control arms (85 Mondial Euro) and bought the standard kit from Superformance. All the front bushings are "yellow" and they went in fine. For the back, eight of the bushings are yellow and eight are black yet they all have the same part number on the bag and all are identical in size. I checked this morning with Superformance and they referenced the photos from their website and indeed, half of the rear bushings are yellow and the other half are black. I asked them for where the black ones should be used and where the yellow ones should be used but have not heard back. Has anyone solved this dilemma in the past 20 years? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer....

8. 85QVEuro

85QVEuro Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2021
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Just curious if you determined the proper locations for the black rear bushings - I just bought the same set from superformance and they gave me eight yellow and eight black rear bushings. I e-mailed them to ask about where the different colors go, but no response yet. Thanks

9. 85QVEuro

85QVEuro Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2021
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Joe
    UPDATE - Superformance was very helpful and responded that the hard (black) bushings go on the outside of the rear A arms (hub side)

10. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Other thing...the inner bushings are spot welded, the outer not....

11. 85QVEuro

85QVEuro Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2021
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Joe
    thanks - any good ideas on welding the bushings on powder coated arms? I assume a small area of powder coating has to be ground off where the welds go?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Yes, a small dent have to be removed for welding. Just 2 small spots are needed for each bushing.