Stolen 288 GTO's | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Stolen 288 GTO's

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by EdwardLovett, Oct 7, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robert W

Robert W Formula 3

Mar 13, 2005
    Oxford, UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Westall
    Kangxi - I agree that people have been unpleasant on this thread, which wrong.

The most annoying part of social media is when someone has a story but refuses to tell it.

Without the chassis numbers of the cars or the identity of EKA, you are simply saying "there is a really good story here and I'm not going to tell anyone any of the bits that make it interesting, I'm just going to tell you all that I know the story but am not going to share it"

As you clearly are not going to supply the details of the cars or who EKA is, I suggest the moderators remove the entire thread.

350MH83 likes this.
  2. Kangxi

Kangxi Rookie

Dec 16, 2016
    Thanks for your post Robert.

The events happened 26 years ago and the papers are no longer with me,lost long ago. There was no Internet back then,just phone,Fax and Telex.

I'd love to have the Chassis No. of the 288,that is the key.

I rang Talacrest yesterday but surprisingly the phone rang and rang. I was grasping at straws to see if they had records going back to 1989-90. I also rang a Director of Pitney Bowes and left my name and no. on his answerphone together with their Account reference no.

I can do no more. and I agree,pull the thread.

Just an old mans attempt at finishing a case.

3. thepinkumbrella

thepinkumbrella F1 Veteran

Feb 26, 2006
    United Kingdom
    I would be inclined to think your time frame is more 1988 based upon the prices you mention and that they are in pound sterling.

In June 1988 a 288 GTO was offered with an asking price of $475,000 (circa £265,000).
    That same car was offered for sale in February 1989 with an asking price of $1,500,000 (circa £880,000)

Not relevant to this thread but that same car was available in 2003 for $325,000 (circa £200,000)

Paul

4. bonneau13

bonneau13 Karting

Oct 18, 2009
    California
    While I agree I was harsh and my post maybe was necessary it’s about as unnecessary as yours. You won’t provide the name, you won’t really provide anything. You come back to say you’re shocked and disgusted and no one (police or whatever) cares and I’m sure people did care until you kept just tiptoeing around the truth. Again this is a place for discussion on Ferrari’s, not your disdain towards what happened toward you. I apologize

5. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I don't get why people ask things to be deleted. If you're not interested, quit visiting the thread. It will be ignored if there is no information of consequence, and life will move on.

Boomhauer likes this.
  6. Kangxi

Kangxi Rookie

Dec 16, 2016
    I came across the file log Today,just a Pitney Bowes Finance reference no. and the instruction was received in May 1991.

7. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    OLD thread, of course.
    However, a few questions remain: Where are 53775, 54779 and 55177 today?

Marcel Massini

8. Birel

Birel Formula 3

Sep 12, 2005
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Andrew Turner
    All that I can contribute, and maybe its old news anyway, is that 53775 was last seen in Osaka some years ago, with F40 seats installed.

9. Birel

Birel Formula 3

Sep 12, 2005
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Andrew Turner
    And having now gone through the thread from the start, yes its old news.

10. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #60 Marcel Massini, Mar 20, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2024
    288 GTO chassis #55177 was stolen in Cannes, France, on Friday, the 5th June 1987. At the time of theft it belonged to a Frenchman, Mr. J.-F. V., the GTO was a French version with yellow headlights. Since 1987 nobody has seen the car anywhere.
    Now, 37 years later, this car has turned up in Japan. The criminals had restamped the chassis number with a number of another 288 GTO which currently lives in USA. However, those who did the restamping did not know about the body number which allowed to identify the car in Japan and find out the real identity. The 288 has been in Japan with the same "owner" since 1991 until now but it is currently being shopped around by some obscure dealers.
    Below is the factory theft notice and the photo shows the stolen car in Japan, taken this week. It still has the yellow headlights.

Marcel Massini

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Acacg, Tenney, LVP488 and 7 others like this.
  11. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    I can see both sides, but I can't help but wonder if posting the Serial Number 55177 is claiming to be would help alert others to the situation.

12. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Good work Marcel, the saga of stolen Ferraris in Japan continues.

Marcel Massini likes this.
  13. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    The car found this week in Japan after 37 years uses the identity of another 288. The stolen vehicle has been semi-professionally restamped.
    Which means there are currently two 288's using the same number.
    The owner of the other 288 has been alerted/contacted. He cannot like the existence of a second car using the same ID (as his own 288).

Marcel Massini

joe sackey, msn, Prancing 12 and 2 others like this.
  14. msn

msn Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2011
    In such a connected world, not sure how they think they would be able to place such a car.. Will this be seized ? or carry on with the false chassis number..

15. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Unlikely it will be seized whilst it remains in Japan I think.

Marcel Massini likes this.
  16. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Since we’re talking about 30+ years time passing can’t 55177 be stamped again in its own number with a corrected title and sold on a bond assuming the original owner was made whole post theft via an insurance policy?

17. msn

msn Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2011
    I cannot see why not.. in the UK it would be classed as a write off.. Classed as a X.. but still a GTO

18. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    If that’s the case I’d be a buyer for the right price!

19633500GT likes this.
  19. msn

msn Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2011
  20. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Original owner of 55177 passed away some time ago.

Marcel Massini

21. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    That is not the car.
    Please note that at least 20 (twenty) units of the 288 GTO's were originally equipped with yellow headlights for France.

Marcel Massini

joe sackey and 19633500GT like this.
  22. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    That's a replacement tool kit, as you know from 57223, and as we have seen with every single-owner 288 GTO with properly preserved ancillaries, tool kits originally supplied with new 288 GTOs by the factory were not stickered.

What you are looking at is a Mondial tool kit from an era after 288 GTO production, as evidenced by the sticker which (if not obscured by the spanner) reads F 108 (the Mondial internal model designation), from the era when Ferrari stickered tool kits in the late 80s early 90s, noting that Mondial production went on till 1993.

Here's an example of a Mondial tool kit where the Mondial's F108 designation has been crossed out and the word GTO has been inserted for supply to a 288 GTO where the original tool kit went missing.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Marcel Massini, JAM1 and msn like this.