Spiders rule! | FerrariChat

Spiders rule!

Discussion in '348/355' started by johnk..., Oct 15, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #1 johnk..., Oct 15, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
    I know that the belief here is the 355 Berlinetta is the car to own but history and recent price moves suggest otherwise. Check it out. I know that you will all say that these Hagerty prices are nonsense but I for one disagree. In fact, the numbers between 2010 and 2013, which was the period I was shopping form my 355, are in very good agreement with what I saw: good Berlinettas were in the 40-50k range and good sipders were running around 55-60k. The numbers show that except for the period from 2013 to the beginning of 2016, spider values have been on a par with or exceeded that of Berlinettas. To back this up I also checked 2017 auction sales. With the exception the 1999 model year, the average price spiders sold for a auctions around the world exceed that of Berlinettas. So, it looks to me that except for that period of B craziness, the old saying, "When the top goes down, the price goes up", still holds.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Reported by a totally unbiased spider owner. :D

drbob101, baschul and surfwolf like this.
  2. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    John, You have my vote!
    F355 spider & 360 spider.

ssnowball likes this.
  3. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I can't speak for everyone by my choice wasn't based on current or future values. That being said I hope your right and berlinetta values tank hard so I can grab another one cheap :D

taz355 and Dave rocks like this.
  4. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    John - those values follow the window sticker prices. I believe a spider cost more new than a GTB, that's why you see that trend. And yes, Hagerty is useless and a joke ;)

Regarding the auctions - people don't need to sell GTB's or GTS's at auction :D

taz355 and FCOnyx like this.
  5. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Dave rocks likes this.
  6. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    BTW Happy National Grump day

7. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I wasn't suggesting the "B" prices are tanking. All are coming down is this soft market, but the observation was that spider prices have caught up with the Bs.

Someone is selling then at auction otherwise there would be any results to report. :rolleyes:

8. Mmckee

Mmckee Formula 3
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2016
    Alta Loma, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Here was/is never any question. I'm with you 100%.

9. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Drop tops were always more than hardtop anythings. I'm not sure why the b is even desirable unless you want a stiffer chassis for racing. There was a time even well done top cuts like the strauman TR's brought more money than the hardtop TRs. Then there is just looks. 355s look good with or without the top. 360s and mondials look best topless. The 550 barchetta not so much. Only its rarity adds value.

10. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Drop tops were always more than hardtop anythings. I'm not sure why the b is even desirable unless you want a stiffer chassis for racing. There was a time even well done top cuts like the strauman TR's brought more money than the hardtop TRs. Then there is just looks. 355s look good with or without the top. 360s and mondials look best topless. The 550 barchetta not so much. Only its rarity adds value.

11. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    For me it's chassis rigidity (which still isn't great compared to new cars but still, best of the 3 in that regard), looks (love the buttresses, back window and smooth top) and weight.

Just my opinion. If everyone liked the same thing they wouldn't have made 3 versions.

A comparative car in pricing would be the 993 Porsche. Coupe brings more money than targa and cabriolet.

12. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky

And the Hagerty prices show that, 993 coupe valued higher than cab.

13. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Yes. I wasn't using it as an example to support berlinetta values, just that "top goes down price goes up and drop tops are more than hardtop anythings" isn't a universal truth.

14. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Yes, not a universal truth. But, I am using the 993 Hagerty values to support my belief that Haggerty isn't in la la land when it comes to evaluations, and for the 355 in particular. The numbers may be off a little but the trends are correct. And the trend for the 355 is that spider values have risen to, at least, match those of the Bs. And Hagerty shows the 308 GTB QV at higher value that the GTS QV which is also consistent with the real market. So, I'll stick to my comment in my original post. There was a period where 355 Bs took off well above the spiders, but that period has ended and now spiders rule. Frankly, for me it just comes down to which version of the car, be it 911, 355 or 308, is better looking. 911 cabs just don't look very good, nor does a 308 GTS compared to the GTB. But, for me, the 355 spider with top down, which is all that matters, is way sexier that a 355 B or GTS.

15. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Agreed on the 911 and 308.
    IMO 355 spider with top down looks like there's a big fluffly couch behind the front seats. Not as bad as the 993 with the top down but the 360 for example is much cleaner.

Will state again for the record this is only my opinion before anyone loses their mind :D

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Well, if you are going to include the 360 and 430, IMO they both look better as a coupe. The roof line integrates better with the rear quarters and deemphasizes the bulbous rear end of those cars (and also detracts from the looks of the 458 and 488 IMO). The 355 rear is slim and trim. As for the big fluffy couch, hey, I'm a retired, 70 year old man that likes to veg in front of the TV. A big fluffy couch looks really good to me, along with my big fluffy comforter to keep me warm. :)

And on last thing, the best looking car in your post is obviously the 308 GTB.

17. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    LMAO! :D

I would say toss up betwen 308 gtb and 355 berlinetta. Both are gorgeous

18. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Has a Spider and it cost me a lot ore than the coupe would have. Later, wanted the cage for track days. Both nice. Figures Spiders are worth more on average. they should be. However, use is more limited.