Spare tire location? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Spare tire location?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by tomc, Dec 26, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    #26 MDEL, Jan 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    No, I don't think so.

The jack and tire wrench are not cheap tools so the factory would not supply free tools... If you buy the spare wheel you get the tools, if not, you don't need them. However the older Cali does appear to have a different tool tray to the one found in my 2013 (and probably in your 2014) Cali30. I suspect the factory modified the tool tray to make it more compact and easier to access with the spare wheel bracket in place.

Compared to the list of tools in the newer tool tray in my 2013 car (see below), the old tool kit has a few extra items like wrenches and cutting pliers, which are arguably not needed to repair or replace a flat tire. It looks like the factory saved some space... AND SMALL CHANGE!

The older tool tray cover is not hinged and is bigger.

3. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #28 4th_gear, Jan 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hello Mario, Feliz Ano Novo! :D You are good with your Internet searches!

Yes, the Ferrari catalogue listing for the Cali does not show the red wheel bag, perhaps because it would not work if the spare wheel is mounted on the optional spare wheel bracket as the bracket would need to use fastening straps to the floorpan, and get in the way of the bag.

IMO, downsides to screwing the spare wheel to the aluminium floorpan instead of using the bracket are that the leather tool bag would need to be secured in some other fashion and that a single screw hole for the tie rod may wear over time, as the aluminium floorpan is probably not reinforced for that function - leather straps also have an elastic quality so they probably cushion the stresses. It's also unfortunate the floorpan of the older Cali has the big tool tray cover in the way, making it difficult to mount the spare wheel in an easier to reach location.

Finally, to add information about the spare wheel leather tool bag, there is apparently at least one tool bag on sale for $848 USD on eBay. I wonder what the chances are this came out of a used 599? :rolleyes: At any rate, here are some photos I scraped off the listing. Since the Cali and 458 spare wheel kit also applies to the 599, this is likely a universal item for Fcars that use the same wheel lugs.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. OwenC

OwenC Karting

Aug 12, 2017
    My Cali 30 actually came with a spare wheel. Also a leather bag with the jack. Will take some photos in case anyone is still interested.

But I'm contemplating whether to just remove it as it virtually fills up most of the small boot space. I'm not even sure I'd want to change the tire in case needed as I've been reading about the sensative ceramic brakes.

Thinking to just carry a Slime or Fix-a-Flat repair kit instead.

5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I would be interested! :) For the Cali, this seems to be unicorn territory!
    T

6. OwenC

OwenC Karting

Aug 12, 2017
    Strange right? :)

Plus Ferrari technician said that full size wheels won't even fit the boot.

7. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    That's what I would have guessed. I guess they expect you to leave the perished tire & wheel by the side of the road, or send you butler to retrieve it!
    T

MDEL likes this.
  8. mobinakhtar

mobinakhtar Karting

Jan 28, 2015
    Hah for those unfortunate times when you have a spare but no place to store your full-size tire, use these cheap tire storage bags and put it on the rear seat

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1311.R2.TR6.TRC0.A0.H0.Xtire+bag+.TRS0&_nkw=tire+storage+bag&_sacat=0

there are several on ebay around $24 for a set of 4. I guess people use them for storing winter/summer tires. Just search for tire storage bags. I have been meaning to get some because I store spares for my boat trailers and they always leave a mark on my garage floor or nearby wall.

9. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^ I've seen those, but will the tires fit in the rear seat of a Cali?
    T

10. mobinakhtar

mobinakhtar Karting

Jan 28, 2015
    Yes :) I measured it. fits on passenger side perfectly. You an even seat-belt it.

11. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Tom this Porsche Carrera 4 carries the emergency wheel on the back seat. In the case of the Cali I would be surprised if the 20 inches wheel fits in the back seat but the only way to find out is to measure like mobinakhtar did.

12. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Thanks, Mo! Thanks, Mario!

I I have 19" wheels, so maybe I need to get some of those bags for my next road trip.

T

13. mobinakhtar

mobinakhtar Karting

Jan 28, 2015
    ^ Once you get the bag, fill the bag with pillows and put it on back seat to see how it will fit with roof closed (Open roof, put in tire bag- close roof). You might want to also keep a small tarp in trunk so you can place it on road, then place bag on it while putting the flat tire in the bag) no use putting dirty or wet bag on that supple leather.

14. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    What's the consensus here? Do most (non DD) just get a spare or just roll the dice and call a tow truck if needed?

15. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Download the Ferrari Roadside app, get AAA premium, and pray to the motoring gods. That's my plan! Thus far, the last of my three part plan seems to be working.
    T

16. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Sounds like a plan Tom! Thank you for being a faithful responder to my newbie questions too. So skip the spare and get the wheel hangers that 4th_gear and DK308 discussed earlier in this thread.

17. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Yep, don't worry, be happy. You own a Ferrari!
    T