Skip Barber Racing School Chapter 11 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Skip Barber Racing School Chapter 11

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by the_stig, May 22, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    I'm sorry to hear Skippy is going under. Anything that helps expand the sport and increase participation is good for racing. Skippy acted as a great feeder to get people exposed to racing and into the sport. Hopefully the other schools like Lucas can pick up the vacuum and more.

2. PAlspach

PAlspach Rookie

Oct 25, 2016
    Pennsylvania
    Full Name:
    Paul Alspach
    People looking for schools on the east coast can also check out the Bertil Roos Racing School. They were Skippy's biggest competitor for years even though they lacked in Skippy's size. Their main school is of course a formula car program but they also offer a Performance Driving Clinic course that offers a ton of seat time. When I attended this course, I was able to get hours of track time (minus time coming into pits to check on my car), and the instructors get very in depth with driving critique. They may be small, but they are certainly a school worth checking out.

3. netman

netman Formula 3

Jun 17, 2008
    OC SoCal
    I did the course back in the 90's at limerock. It was a good time. Shame to see it end

4. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I did Bertil Roos in 2001 - was a blast. Dennis Macchio is a great guy, and I had some good coaches (Guy Cosmo and Andrew Prendeville).

5. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Interesting. Skip Barber keeps records dating back to 2002. So they have a record of my 2-day Advanced Class, but not my 3-day Beginners. I'm going to get a copy while I can. For $25.

Matt

6. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    I'm doing Roos in July:)

7. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I posted here in 2015 that Skip Barber was in trouble. Hope someone comes to the rescue as it was a lot of fun for me back in the 1990s.

8. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    So I guess I should consider myself lucky to have my certificate/diploma from back in February, 1979, albeit in somewhat faded condition! 🏎

moran1856 likes this.
  9. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    how are the schools organized ... I would think each location would be a stand alone franchise... allowing for a location to fold without affecting the entire organization

10. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    That would make sense, but that's not the case.

Matt

11. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    I'm hate to ask it, but is it a dying sport/business like golf? Will the next generation, and the next generation support it?

12. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    It's good enough, but you need to generally have a major manufacturer and a tire deal to make it work.

Level Up in the Midwest was just announced (Miatas with the BEST ex-Skippy instructors), Lucas Oil (with more very, very good ex-SBRS instructors) with formula cars, Dennis Macchio runs an excellent program with open wheels and the option of certains schools in your own car! Ron Fellows in Nevada, Allen Berg at Laguna Seca, SimRaceWay at Sears Point, Bondurant in Arizona. No shortage of good ones...

Even SBRS is still operating with a skeleton crew consisting of Terry Earwood, Divina Galica and a few other really good long-time instructors.

13. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Awesome - good luck!

14. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    the school is NOT out of business and operating as best they can... yet ... a chapter 11 filing is asking the courts for time to reorganize their finances and get them under control

there is no reason to stop using them, other than to pay as you use them, buying package deals and paying upfront puts unused advance payment at risk

15. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    I'm doing them in July too, doing the 2 day highway class with my teenage son.

I did a number of Skip programs at Limerock so I'm curious to see how they compare.

16. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
  17. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
  18. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Wow - lots of deferred maintenance and neglected vehicles on that list.

19. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!

I think scrapers pay about 5 cents a pound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  21. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    every time I went to Road Atlanta there was a back lot behind the Skippy building full of demolished Miatas...some school cars, some racing series cars. easily $500k of destroyed inventory. made me wonder how they survived. I guess we have the answer.

22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    ha, funniest is Skip himself got out long time ago probably selling for nice profit and now he will benefit from the asset sell because of owning Lime Rock. Does he not own any of the Barber track?

23. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Sorry to see this, but it's not a surprise, and the real "brain trust" of the operation is in the instructors, anyway.

So, as previously stated, I hope they all land on their feet.

CW

24. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Barber in Alabama? no, that was developed by George Barber, no relation.