She's Finally here! | Page 3 | FerrariChat

She's Finally here!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by udalmia, Mar 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Red360Stradale

Red360Stradale Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Kris G
    How about some pics with the top down.

2. udalmia

udalmia Guest

Kris, as i posted earlier, there's a minor problem with the roof, I can take it down with some twitching but I'd rather not do it till it gets fixed

3. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    I believe two out of the three Enzos that have been wrecked, were kids driving daddy's car. I thought I new what I was doing when I got my first Mustang also. Wrecked that one. My next Supra, wrecked that one. Both my fault, not totaled. My sport bike, wrecked that one. Not my fault. I had ridden dirt bikes,raced go carts and four wheelers before driving a car. You just have to be faced with tons of situations, tons of times and you haven't been at 19, but most 19 year olds think they have.

4. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    He's so excited, he can't hold the camera steady!

:)

-Wayne

5. darryl189

darryl189 Rookie

Mar 17, 2004
    Love the ride udalmia, its my ultimate car. I will have one someday, gotta keep saving *wishes*.

6. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    Charlie: I'm not saying that statistics aren't on your side, nor that I wouldn't be concerned if this were my son. I'm just reserving judgement, or perhaps deferring to his dad's greater wisdom, since he presumably knows his kid, including his maturity, driving abilities, etc. I guess we've beaten this point to death!
    Ira

7. charliek

charliek Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Marlboro, New jersey
    Full Name:
    Charles Krop
    Ira,
    You are right, we have beaten this one to death. I guess I am so frustrated by this issue. I am a dentist and have lost several young patients due to this subject. One 18 yo girl's daddy bought her a new Corvette and she tried to beat a school bus at a light, one dead one paralyzed and living the rest of her life with this death on her head. I could go on and give you several more but my heart is aching. All of these kids did not earn the money and buy cars of there choice. It was THE parent using their judgment or lack thereof. Too many parents cant say no. I have no doubt that the father loves his son but may not be thinking about the consequences of making him happy, and giving him everything he wants because he can now afford to.

As far as Reggi age 18 who has driven all those exotics, where and how? Valet service at the local CC doesnt count as driving experience. Also just because you have gotten this far on luck, you still have NO experience which means miles on the odo over many years.Period

8. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    Your frustration is understandable, Charlie. I think we can ultimately agree though, that this is a matter that parents need to consider seriously, and that giving your kid whatever s/he wants just because s/he wants it is pretty short-sighted and potentially dangerous. I guess I'm hoping that our young friend here is as level-headed as he seems to be, and that his father knows him well enough to properly guage both his maturity and his abilities. Good luck to all.

9. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    It is entirely possible. Ive driven a GT4, 328, 575, Enzo, and a Gallardo at age 17/18. If I did it, anyone could have...

But beside that point, I think we all can agree that mathematically teenagers lack in years of driving experience...very true! However, that doesn't necessarily equate to making them all "bad" drivers. We don't know how this guy drives. He could be very very well trained like other teenagers I know of...I dont think anyone here should judge that based on an internet discussion. Yes there are lots of stupid teenagers behind the wheel...A lot of them live very near me! Along those same lines though, we have all seen adults with the years of experience we lack that just shouldnt be driving either...

I think of myself as a good driver for my age. What I am open enough to admit that I lack in experience, I think I make up for in general awareness and caution. Years of experience may tend to lead adults to feeling more "comfortable" on the road -- causing them to loose attention and quicker reflexes. Im mature enough to know my limits. I dont drive fast on public streets...dont show off to friends...dont think I abused the Ferraris when I drove them either. Ive had good teachers though...parents teach me how predict what other drivers are going to do. The Ferrari guys have taught me a lot about high performance driving, etc. Still have a lot to learn? Of course I do! Still lacking in experience? You bet! Everyone else here should admit that though...

My point is that being young, doesnt necessarily mean a certain person is a bad driver. Lacking in experience and being a good or bad driver do NOT go hand in hand necessarily. In some cases, sure...but not always. Like I said, there are a lot of horrible drivers out there in all age groups.

10. reggi914

reggi914 Rookie

Mar 12, 2004
    You sound angry, maybe alittle jelous? I do not work at a valet. I also have been racing and driving cars/karts since i was 9 (you also kart, correct?) I think that i do have experience and i do have many miles on the odo over many years. I have seen people who are 40 years young, driving a Ferrari who dont know the concept of driving a sports car, or any car for that matter. However age has a lot to do with being a "good driver" and i still have a lot to learn and i am very eager to learn.

11. charliek

charliek Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Marlboro, New jersey
    Full Name:
    Charles Krop
    I am not angry, I am concerned as I stated before, jealous, why would you think that? Because I dont want to see another young life lost or ruined? I am not trying to insult you or anyone else just enlighten. You should to go out and take a survey of your age drivers, see how many of them think they are bad drivers. I will bet you none of them. They all think they are great, as I did when I was your age. You are correct not every "older" person is a great driver. But you will find from statistics that even the "bad" older drivers get in less accidents than the younger driver. As a previous poster stated, track miles on karts are not the same as road miles. If you can get a Ferrari on the road and keep it on the posted speed limit I applaud you, I dont think most can. Obvously the older drivers have the same problem, and plenty of them get in trouble too. However, I still believe they are less likely. Experience counts in every arena. I only continue this post because of CONCERN, not jealousy, anger, resentment etc. etc. Not until you gain the maturity that comes with growing up will you understand my concern.
    I am a father and love my and all kids, that is my only incentive. PLEASE, whatever you drive, and wherever you go, take your time and think about what you are doing, there are lives at stake.
    Charlie

12. reggi914

reggi914 Rookie

Mar 12, 2004
    Very well said Charlie. Everything you said is 100% correct.

13. charliek

charliek Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Marlboro, New jersey
    Full Name:
    Charles Krop
    Thank you Regg, if I got through and made you think a little maybe all that typing was worth it. Now, it you are ever on an east coast drive I would be happy to let you drive my 512 BBi ( with me in it of course, but that goes for adult drivers too) I guess I may need to give my son a chance.

14. kenster888

kenster888 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Massachusetts
    I would like to know how much is the insurance for a 19 year old driving a 360. And which company would insure you?

15. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Just for fun I thought I would add to this thread.

IMHO this guys father is a fool. Sorry to say it this way, but quite simply you are not doing right by your children if you simply give them everything they want.

No matter how old a person is their first car should be a safe and simple car. They will have accidents as they learn how to drive, thus give them a cheap car so they learn to appreciate how to drive and how much things cost. Giving a child such an expensive car does not demonstrate values and thus this child will mature taking everything for granted and not appreciating the true value of objects and things.

To get back to the driving. It has nothing to do with age, but is simply how many miles you have survived on the road. The advantage more mature people have is they can think ... without excitement and hormones getting in the way.

Thus I do not care if this young man has spent every day of his life in a go-kart and can control a vehicle as well or better than Schumacher, driving on the road is completely different. I have been trying to explain this to my 2 step sons who are getting closer and closer to the license getting age. They quite often say, I could drive this car ... and I always say driving is easy, but staying alive is another thing. Not sure if they get it, but lets face it controlling a car under normal driving conditions is not hard.

Missing that drunk person who walked out in front of you, etc. is hard, as is controlling a vehicle perfectly in a 4 wheel drift right on the ragged edge.

In this fathers position I would have bought him maybe a mint 240z Datsun (or something like that, maybe even a nice 308 Ferrari?) and a few entries to some sort of circuit racing days so he could learn about speed away from the power poles and kerbs ... and girls, etc. Heaps safer to have a loose on the race track.

I've been there and done that, and I drove like an idiot for my first 5 years. Track racing added a level of understanding and maturity to my driving, and DID mean that I slowed down on the road and made me a safer driver. Now 36 I hardly ever speed (like I used to ;)) but still like to test a corner or too on the way home from work.

I will not be buying my sons a brand new Ferrari for them. They will get far more satisfaction out of earning one for themselves.

Pete
    ps: drive safe young man.

16. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    To regi914 and udalmia, I have two sons around your age. They are both very bright, responsible and talented kids but they are kids( well really young men) and prone to some of the lack of experience type judgement that comes with the territory. However, having read the posts and been so amazed that many of the drivers at Sebring this weekend were not even 20 years old, and reading all of the pros and cons professed here, I am inclined to rethink some of my concerns.
    You both seem very bright, respectful and level headed, like my own sons, yet I have not let them drive alone in any of my high horsepower cars without me in the car. The real fear is not the car, of course, but the driver. But as someone pointed out early in the thread, I had many escapades early in my adult life, and in fact owned a 400+hp car at 17. I am blessed to be here writing this, and I know it. I think a lot of the concerns expressed here are really folks just trying to protect you both, and often from personal memories of the many incidents that could have "gone south" so easily.
    It is so important to have experience and the paradox is its hard to come by without the years. Since your Dad is so willing and relaxed about it, I would suggest he buy you a good driving school session, and maybe even attend with you. I always love to see the father son driving teams sharing the experience. Anyway, I wish you both the best and please, be ever so careful driving these very high performance cars. And don't be swayed by your friends who might not have the same level of maturity and composure that you both seem to have. Keep the rubber on the road. John

17. Westworld

Westworld Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2004
    I wanted to agree with this topic. If I ever get into the position of having a nice bank account in my life and have kids, the only kid I would provide for them is shelter, food, educational support (college tutition, ect) clothing (and I don't mean the "ferrari-level clothing"), guidance and love. If they wanted a car, I would tell them I see these rich kids who have their parnets buy them toys and that around, all cocky and think they are big shots, but I always wonder about how they'll be in 10-15 years at the high school renioun. I'm young, 20, and look at launching my own business after college. I know I can do well, and will, and hopefully when the time comes, after busting my butt and doing whatever it is make a nice living, ect. I can go down to the dealership and pick up that nice brand-new red Ferrari, and feel what a sense of accomplishment, and that I worked for this. I would want my children, down the road, to be productive, hard working individuals with a sense on reality. I do not want them be like the Hilton sisters.