Scheduled maintenance? | FerrariChat

Scheduled maintenance?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by miami355, Oct 3, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. miami355

miami355 Karting

Sep 2, 2006
    Miami, FL
    What is the scheduled maintenance on a 400i? Is there a recommended timing chain replacement interval?

DMG
    Miami, FL

2. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    According to the the 400i Workshop Manual, the tension of the timing chain should be controlled every 5,000km and if need be restored with the tensioner. After 50,000km, or when the push rod is not long enough for correct tensioning, the chain should be replaced.

On a practical note I had the engine overhauled on my 365 GT4 2+2 at around 90,000km and the opportunity of having the engine out was used to replace the timing chain. We realised that several timing pinions had teeth worn-out (some broken as well). All pinions were replaced with new ones.

3. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
  4. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    Follow the factory suggestion of 50,000 KM. I did not and went to 52,000 miles and found the chain had worn a grove in the timing chest, the valve guides were really shot, and much more. Yeah pull the heads and do the chain and guides water pump, etc. on a 400 if you want to drive one that runs right and is not eating itself up.

5. Temerian

Temerian Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 17, 2014
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Rick Temerian
    Just pulled the engine on mine at 96,000 KM to do the timing chain and water pump and anything else we can find. I will post some photos soon.