Saw model Ferrari , what's it made of, is their process I can get them made singley | FerrariChat

Saw model Ferrari , what's it made of, is their process I can get them made singley

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by bitzman, Oct 4, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    At the Palos Verdes concours (not actually in PV) the South Bay Ferrari hospitality booth
    had this model on display. I felt its surface, kind of gritty like not dried cement. It was attached to a plastic base but somehow I was able to photograph the bottom. Seemed like the traditional Ferrari logo font style but near as I can make out it says FONDARIA.

QUESTIONS
    1.( How much are these?

2.)what's the material?

3. In the process, whatever it's called, if I want to try one, can I just take a clay model or is it going to take a model impervious to high temperatures?

I last played with clay oh, 50 years ago, I am hoping the modern age has a quicker method I can go in with my clay model and they can reproduce it. I don't want 3D modeling if that's expensive, I am talking some low cost process where you could make one at a time.

By the way the reason I like this model is precisely because it is not painted, and glossy and all that. I think if a Doctor, or lawyer or Indian Chief (can we still say that?) had it in his office it wouldn't be as distracting as a colorful model, and less toy like, more honoring the original clay modeler's work than if it had the whole paint and chrome deal.

2. Dincenzo

Dincenzo Formula 3

Oct 11, 2005
    Columbia, SC
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    I know nothing about this model but Krylon makes several different sprays that could give you the same effect
    on a diecast model. I wouldn't opt for something really nice, but maybe one of those on ebay from China. I have
    done similar in the past. Certainly worth $20 bucks to try!

3. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    I am certain that was 3D printed.
    There was a similar model, very limited production, of the new Ford GT last year in cooperation with Forza.

4. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Looks a lot like a rough 3D print.

5. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I thought 3D printed objects were relatively smooth. This was deliberately sandy to the feel like the sand would stick on your fingers. But as I say for a really sophisticated office, the normal exotic car model looks too cheap, like a child's toy, so I liked this one that allowed you to admire the form without trying to sell you on the color, glitz, stripes, etc. Only the base of red plastic looked cheap, if I owned it I would put a slab of marble underneath it. Anyhow I'll try to give a model that look and post the results

6. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck

There are numerous types of material, machines and levels of quality available. The smooth pieces are the better higher resolution prints which are also more expensive to have made. The rough sand-like printed parts are easier to make since they are not hi-res, and more of the low end facilities have that level of equipment.

7. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    What do you think their cost per unit was, minus the base? I haven't heard anybody say what the retail price is yet? I think everything in an official Ferrari dealership has to be approved by Ferrari now....

8. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Ford retail their 3D printed models between about $40 and $230. The $40 models are quite small but are similar in detail to the one you've pictured. Their $230 model is more detailed but still has a similar stone cast sort of finish to it.