ROYAL PURPLE GEARBOX 75/90 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

ROYAL PURPLE GEARBOX 75/90

Discussion in '348/355' started by 002LM, Apr 29, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Must agree!

2. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Answering my own question, I did find where Brian said that that the 348 syncros are iron:

3. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I guess that depends on how you view the use of the word "corrosion". Corrosion is a natural process, which converts a refined metal to a more stable form, such as its oxide, hydroxide, or sulfide.

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Yes it is a GL5 and has been suggested by a very trusted source as working well in the iron syncro transmissions. I have not tried it because despite my best efforts the importer for Agip in the USA seems to have no interest in selling it. I have no need to buy a couple of quart bottles and barrels just seem not to exist in the USA.

5. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    None of which surprises me. The 355 is the best shifting Ferrari ever made and seems to have little preference for oil that the old iron syncro cars had. The 355 has smaller gears than the prior cars which means the syncros have an easier job and the 355 has the best and most easily adjusted shifter, both internally and externally of any Ferrari made. The 360 went back to cables and it wasn't an inspired design. The adjustments have no turn buckles so only a relatively coarse adjustment is possible.

I have always told people the 355 shifts as well as the best the Japanese ever offered.

6. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    I find this info to be fascinating. It was a nice surprise when I bought my 355- I really have a blast driving this car- very analog, set up perfectly for heel and toe (as was the 360), and the shifting is great fun. The better shifting than the 360 was a nice surprise to me (I had never driven a 355 before I bought mine)..the best experience for me is driving with the top down wearing either with narrow shoes or even better...barefoot. 355+ Tubi + hyperflow + convertible + stick = Heaven (to me anyway :))

I never thought of it Rifledriver, but you are correct- the 355 is the best shifting Ferrari they ever made! Not that the 360 is bad, but given that the 360 and 430 are likely similar and the 355 is better than them or the prior Ferraris you are right. I hope the feel is the same when I switch to redline or whatever my mechanic will use- I'll have to discuss it with him at the next service.

7. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #82 Wade, May 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It's no wonder this is all so confusing!

I pulled this info from the various owners and workshop manuals, plus the vendor's tech sheets.

Right now the LS variant of FE escapes me (FE LS and/or FELS)

However, FE is a GL4 while FELS is a GL5 (according to the data plate on my car).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #83 Wade, May 3, 2016
  9. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Thanks for compiling and sharing that, Wade. Interesting to note that GL-5 is specified for the 355 in all of the sources you cite.

10. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #85 Wade, May 4, 2016
    Strangely enough, the spec tag on my car says GL5 but the owner's manual calls for GL4 (Agip SP FE SAE 75W90).

However, from the ENI website for their Agip SP FE SAE 75W90, "Warning: the product is not to be used in applications where API GL-5 performance is required."

11. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    The 348 has iron synchro's so not sure how that really applies ot the 355. Or am I mistaken?

I read that say you can use the GL4 or GL5 355.

As Brian said earlier...and as a product manager in previous life...someone paid Ferrari a lot of money to be the "lube if choice" (Shell in our case).

Was that he best option? Unlikely. Add some time for technology to grow and we have the fog that is today's options.

The only open question I have is the comment made earlier about GL5 having a higher "stickyness" to it and that it will literally wear out the syncro's as it is flushed away to allow the braking action of the syncro to the mating gear selected. Is that true? Dunno yet.

12. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    It only applies that, times have surely changed, and so has the technology. What was called for back then may not necessarily apply today.

Near as I can tell, GL4 and GL5 were merely recommendations.

However, the conversation/thread did mention both models (my apologies for intruding in on the 355 forum).

13. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

I have some Redline MTL that I will try this weekend in the 355.

14. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    GL5 is a problem in the iron syncro transmissions because its EP additive package that gets it to GL5 levels inhibit syncro operation by its very nature. That was a big topic in some of the information in the links given in the thread. That is the entire reason I quit using it some time ago in 308/328/348 transmissions.

jalberti likes this.
  15. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    I think what is meant here is that if the oil film between the synchro ring and the gear cone is tougher to squeeze out (so that the synchro ring can "bite" the cone and equilise the rotational speeds of the two), the engagement will be "crunchy" as it will ocur between the not fully equilised rotational speeds of the engaging splines which will cause wear primarily to the splines of the softer synchro ring but will also wear the splines of the gear "cog" (or whatever it's called).

16. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Um, no. Reread the material.

17. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I have a 348, and this is the one I use (GL-5):

Red Line Synthetic Oil - Gear Oil for Manual Transmissions - 75W90 NS GL-5 Gear Oil

Would you recommend I use this one insead (GL-4:

Red Line Synthetic Oil - Gear Oil for Manual Transmissions - MT-90 75W90 GL-4 Gear Oil

The GL-5 lists Ferrari as being a popular user, while the GL-4 makes no mention of Ferrari

18. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

And it never will for reasons I have stated several times.

19. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

Put in Redline ML in my 95 F 355 this morning. Shifted very smoothly but will see tomorrow how it is when cold. I had lightweight shockproof in it before which was good but sometimes 3rd gear crunched but seems gone with MTL. It is much thinner than shockproof so hopefully it's ok for the differential. I mixed in 1/2 liter of the lightweight with MTL. Don't know if that is good or bad.

20. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I must have missed that. I saw your post about not using GL-5 in the 308/328/348, which is why I asked your opinion of which of those two I listed that you suggest I run in my 348.

21. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    RP has both slip and non slip.....BUT like all the others, you are supposed to start with NON slip and add the appropriate amount of whale oil.

If you don't have a whale, I use the GM Positrac additive, they manufacture synthetically, since Ahab drowned.

But of course, Chevrolet Parts department cannot tell you how much, to put in a '70s Ferrari transaxle.
    Rifledriver can.....;)

22. 002LM

002LM Rookie

Apr 19, 2016
    The royal purple works amazing. Excellent shifting in all temps. Will not be changing it!

23. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

#98 F355Bob, Nov 6, 2016
    Having a major on my 95 . They took out the transaxle to look at 3rd gear syncro since I was having off and on grinding going fron 2nd to 3rd. 3rd gear syncro was good but syncro ring was worn and rounded. Kelly's-Moss a big Porsche race shop is doing the work. First thing they asked was I using Redline. I have use RL for 30000 mi and they said they used to use it in their race Porsches until had big failure rate. They urged me not to use it anymore.
    Take it for what is worth. Just adding to the confusion over gear oils.

24. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Yeah, that certainly adds to the confusion, Bob. Gee, thanks. ;)

What do Kelly-Moss recommend?

25. Robbe

Robbe Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2013
    The Netherlands
    Over here in Europe (The Netherlands) , a lot of these specific oils are not available.
    For instance the Mobil brand is rather big over here, but the Syntec 75w-90 is not available. Red line? no, sorry. Pennzoil? Never heard of...
    Any European oil expert that can point me towards a decent oil that actually IS available?