Rough idle but RPM's are steady @ 1100 | FerrariChat

Rough idle but RPM's are steady @ 1100

Discussion in '348/355' started by FSM348, Oct 9, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    First off, my hat is off to Ernie for helping me with my process of bringing this wonderful car to an eventual top running 348. So far it has been hella fun to drive but still has some sorting out.

I've got a 91 348 that had a few codes when I bought it. Replaced both temp sensors under the plenum, replaced both 02 sensors, and replaced all the bits in the flywheel as well as the tripple seals and the o ring that caused the flywheel to chew up everything inside of itself.

So, I did the relearn procedure and after driving it all the CEL codes have remained gone!! Even better, the car doen't idle at nearly 2k RPM like it did before. It will start cold and idle at about 1500-1600 rpm and once it warms up it will drop right to about1100 rpm and stay there. The rpms stay nice and steady but the idle isn't exactly what I would call perfectly smooth. There is a slight shaking/rumbling when sitting at idle and when I accelerate it feel like it gets a little bit worse and then seams get better as the RPM climbs above 3500+. I was wondering if it could be a cam sensor or crank sensor but wouldn't that throw a code? The cats are gutted (test pipes on the way) and the CAT ecu's are disconnected. The exhaust is straight piped althought that will change in the future.

The engine is leaking a lot of oil from what I assume to be either the cam seal or the cam cover seal? I will probably drop it over winter to check out. It had a major service in april of 2016 but sat for a while after and I suspect the seals dried up in that time. I did a leakdown and compression test on it with the motor warm (unfortunately I took too long to setup and the engine was not a driving temperature) but the cylinders were around 195 psi with no more than 9-10 psi difference across all 8. The leakdown was something like 6-8% across all cylinders so the engine checks out and it has good acceleration on the street for being an underpowered and heavy car. Side note: I don't care how many cars will beat a 348, the experience is worth all the eccentricities this car has to offer. What a fun driving car!

For full disclosure, I will say that there is a little gear whine which is why I'm dropping the tranny to check if the ring nuts are loose and if the bearings are okay. There were no bits of teeth in the fluid when I changed it to Redline 75-90ns and the inspection plate had no debris of any klind in it. The visible gears looked okay except for a slight bit of wear.

I don't see how the gear whine would cause any idle issues but perhaps may have something to do with the very slight vibration on acceleration.

2. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    Possibly one (or both) of your ignition coils on the way out. How's the condition of your spark plugs and the plug wires?

3. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    I replaced all 8 spark plugs with the NGK plugs recommended on the forum. It is possible the Magnecore wires need replaced but they "appear" ok. Anyway to check the ignition coils?

4. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    When I get the gearbox back in the car I might try spraying a fine mist of water over the wires and see if any arcing occurs.

5. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    I put in brand new Magnecor wires in my 348 a few months ago (no issues yet) but I was not impressed by the quality, especially the connectors. I then soon bough another set for standby (Eurospares) which appear to be the same as what a German company ("OKP Parts & Engineering for Italian Cars") are selling, excellent quality (could be made in Germany).

As for ignition coils, you can get them cheap if you search for Bosch 0 221 503 407. Also see the attached cross-reference.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    Yup, I might as well replace the coils then. Heck, thats cheaper than my miata!

I will look into the plug wires you mentioned. I agree on the magnecore attention to detail not being superb. The length of the plug ends were not very precise and left gaps in the round seal that rests on the valve covers. I had to repair one of the wires due to the end pulling off so that could be part of the issue as well...

7. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    all model years of the F355 uses the same coils.

8. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Wondering if your MAF's need service or replacement. Also, check for vacuum leaks especially in the EGR system tubing. Probably not it, but faulty O2 sensors can give you this symptom too.

9. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    I second what others are saying. I had similar problems with my 355. Each thing I did made the engine a little smoother. Plugs, wires, connectors on fuel injectors, cleaned MAF, checked for vacuum leaks, etc.