Roof Failure - Stuck Down | FerrariChat

Roof Failure - Stuck Down

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by cab2u, Jul 8, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cab2u

cab2u Karting

Nov 19, 2003
    NYC
    I have a 2011 and started have some roof failure errors. They fixed themselves but not this time. The roof is down and I cannot close it. I have tried all of the tricks and nothing works. Any ideas?

2. cab2u

cab2u Karting

Nov 19, 2003
    NYC
    I finally cleared the "roof failure" after opening and closing the windows a bunch of times. Now when I try to close the roof the windows go down a couple of inches and it now says "obstacle detected" and won't close. Any advice?

3. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    If your car is too close to something at the rear of the car, the parking sensors will not let the trunk open up and inhibit roof operation in order to avoid having the trunk hit something.
    Have you tried driving the car to an open area and then operating the roof?

4. cab2u

cab2u Karting

Nov 19, 2003
    NYC
    You are correct. Didn't realize that. Got the roof closed.
    Thanks for everyone's help. I freakin love this car.

5. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    You are not alone. I know someone that just bought a Cali and the dealer had no idea that the rear parking sensors will stop the top and everything from moving! The other day I was putting mine down and some flowers near the car would blow in the wind toward the car, stopping it. I pulled a foot forward and all was well.

JohnInItaly likes this.
  6. cab2u

cab2u Karting

Nov 19, 2003
    NYC
    I brought the car in for the constant roof failure errors. They said that they recalibrated it. It worked for a day, and now it will not fully open. It gets to where the trunk is opened all the way, but then stops. Sounds like a motor is still running but will not go any further.

7. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    You need to have someone who is smart and has experience with the California roof to use a diagnostic tool in order to diagnose the cause of the failure. It is either a problem with a sensor, causing the roof ECU to not know what position one part of the roof is in. So it goes into failure mode rather than having parts of the roof run into one and other.

Or it is a hydraulic issue, where the pump is not making enough pressure (due to low fluid level, leakage, etc.)to move the pieces of the roof, which is why you hear the pump running, but nothing is happening.
    Either one of these will be recorded in the fault memory of the roof ECU.

8. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    I went through some roof failure issues with my top but it was eventually determined to be a bad sensor, and it has been fine for more than a year now. Mine would generate "roof failure" warnings on bumpy roads even with the roof closed, but it always opened and closed correctly, with a couple of exceptions. However, on the couple of occasions when mine would stop midway, it just stopped dead, with no sounds of pumps or motors running ... this is because the bad sensor was generating an "implausible roof position" error ... and when that happens, the car stops moving the roof to avoid damaging any thing.

If the roof is still trying to close, that sounds more like a mechanical failure to me. In the trunk of the car, there is an access panel on the wall (driver's side) ... if you remove that, that is where the hydraulic pump is located and you can see if there are any leaks there.

If your dealer can't figure it out, email Ferrari customer service, that will get Italy involved and that's what ultimately led to having my problem solved, as the factory told the local dealer what to do step by step until they located the bad sensor and had it repaired.

JohnInItaly likes this.
  9. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    You have a sensor problem. Don't keep running the motor or it will overheat and you will get an error on that. It's probably going to need to have full diagnostics run and a sensor replaced, maybe more than one. They tried adjusting/calibrating my new top and then had to replace a sensor. The cost for replacing the sensor was $475 including parts but zero to me since it was under warranty. I looked on the invoice to see what they were billing FNA so I guess this is what you are looking at.

10. cab2u

cab2u Karting

Nov 19, 2003
    NYC
    The are replacing a couple of sensors. I have the power warranty, which i believe covers it.

11. OwenC

OwenC Karting

Aug 12, 2017
    Had a roof issue recently... after raising the roof, trunk got stuck as it was in a half open half closed position. Read the owner's handbook but there was no manual release. It was an awkward and tense moment but finally, I held down the trunk release of the key while using my other hand to lift up the trunk.

Brought the car to the dealer and they found out the one of the trunk cover's screws at the right side was loose and it sort of created a gap causing that issue. Luckily, the screw was still intact and didn't fall off.

In case anyone has this issue, hopefully my experience can help

12. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Good news is on the Portofino you will be able to experience your roof failures while the car is rolling! :D