Robert Kubica Is Back in F1 | Page 15 | FerrariChat

Robert Kubica Is Back in F1

Discussion in 'F1' started by Remy Zero, Jun 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    It's not all glory, Kubica wrecked a lot of cars in WRC...

Caracciola likes this.
  2. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    I've got my fingers crossed for him. I've been watching some of his pre-crash F1 drives and they are pretty impressive. When Sauber had the BMW engines he was very very fast. Sauber is a shadow of its former self...but if Williams doesn't pick up Kubica, I think Sauber should make him an offer. He might inspire them, and even drag them into the mid pack and away from being the back marker. Good luck Robert.

mcimino likes this.
  3. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Sauber? They will get Leclerc and Ericsson is pretty bullitt proof as long as his Tetra Pack mate calls the shots.

4. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    OCTOBER 18, 2017

Paddy Lowe not commenting on Kubica test

Paddy Lowe is remaining quiet about Robert Kubica's chances of joining Williams in 2018.

Recently, Pole Kubica followed up his Renault test duties with a run in Williams' 2014 car at Silverstone.

Along with team reserve Paul di Resta, he is reportedly in the running to replace Felipe Massa next year.

Now, it is reported that Kubica, who last raced in F1 in 2010 prior to injuring his arm, has again been testing, this time in Hungary.

Also present was di Resta.

Earlier, a Williams spokesman said the Silverstone test had been "successful", and now he is saying only that the action in Budapest was "productive".

When asked about who will be Lance Stroll's 2018 teammate, Williams technical boss and co-owner Lowe told Brazil's Globo: "I cannot comment on anything right now.

"All I can say - as everyone already knows - is that we have a few options."

Not long ago, Williams had returned as a force in F1, but in 2017 the British team has slumped to fifth overall behind Red Bull and Force India.

Lowe, who started work at Grove this year, said he is focused on taking Williams back to the front of the grid.

When asked if new engineers could be the answer, Lowe told Globo: "We are aware both of what is on the market and the need to strengthen in all areas.

"I have already made some changes in the way the 2018 project was conducted, and at the moment I am satisfied with what I can see," he added.

Lowe, who joined Williams from championship winners Mercedes, said he is enjoying his role at the once-great team.

"I love my job," he said.

"I've always been employed, but now I have the opportunity to look at the overall project in terms of getting Williams fighting for wins again, not as technical director but also as a partner."

Asked what Williams needs to do to start winning again, he answered: "You need great engineers, an efficient track team, and everything working from an operational point of view.

"When this happens, you get more investors and a better budget," Lowe added.

5. JStone414

JStone414 Formula 3

Sep 23, 2004
    Gotham
    Full Name:
    Roman Sionis
    Anyone else get the feeling that the tests are not going well?

6. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
  7. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Yes

8. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    What happened to Caracciola?

9. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  10. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    I have no fantasies about Kubica winning the wdc, but I think he could and would outperform a long list of current F1 drivers including both drivers at Haas, Torror Rosso, Sauber and Williams. I also think he could equal (and maybe better) the two Force India drivers, and the junior McLaren driver. As for Renault, we will have to see how well their two drivers do in the next few races. All of that said, I think there should at the very least be a seat for Kubica at a lot of teams. And down the road, if/when he gets tired or feels less competitive than wants driving in F1, (and if other forms of racing don't interest him) I could see him becoming involved in an F1 team in much the same way as Lauda and Prost. But I am hopping the best for him whatever happens.

11. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Looking at some Kubica pre-accident f1 YouTube videos, boy those engines sounded great back then. 18,000 rpm...screaming loud. Today's cars, with all the supposed improvements and hybrid power and energy recovery and DRS ********, etc...they sound like a cross between a food processor and a vacuum cleaner. Call it Formula E or whatever, but don't call it Formula One....that was for real cars.

daytona355 likes this.
  12. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    I don't think that's the fault of the engines, it's the rules around fuel consumption and the limits on engine components.

13. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    V6 turbos will never sound as great as the V8 and V10 monsters unleashed at full power, just not possible. Even in road cars, the 488GTB, which has its own unique very good sound and is a V8 turbo, is not a patch on its naturally aspirated sibling in its operatics.

375+ likes this.
  14. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  15. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  16. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    French TV (Canal +, broadcasting Brazil's qualis now) says he's very likely to get the seat at Williams.

17. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    Former F1 driver R.Doornbos and friend of Kubica tells a similar story.

One of the problems Kubica faced to get back into F1 was his insurance company. Many if not all F1 drivers have an insurance to cover for the loss of income due to death or permanent injury.

Kubica supposedly was payed millions of Euro`s by his insurance company when he crashed his F1 car years ago.

Restarting an F1 career means he has to repay those funds, story is this was one of the hurdles Kubica had to take to get back into F1.

18. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    He was paid millions when he crashed his F1 car or rally car?

tifoso2728 likes this.
  19. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    F1.

20. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    So was this the accident at Montreal?

21. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    yep

22. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Well he only missed one race, Vettel subbed for him at Indy(his debut). So Robert got millions from that crash but he continued to race in F1?

Bas likes this.
  23. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    No doubt Claire has already tapped up Crashtor, just in case he still can get hold of some oil money from Hugo and his gang :)

Money talks ...Di Resta probably can't bring any sponsor afaik.i think he could do good job but not in the same league as Kubica was (is?) .

Kvyat might have a bag of Roubles up his sleeve though.

24. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    It does not really add up, he drove again in F1 after that crash in 2007 - it's after his 2011 rally crash that he could not drive anymore.
    So 2007 is old news, if he had to pay something that should already have been done - apparently nothing prevented him to race in F1 after that crash.
    2011 could be a different story though.

Bas likes this.