Robert Kubica Is Back in F1 | Page 13 | FerrariChat

Robert Kubica Is Back in F1

Discussion in 'F1' started by Remy Zero, Jun 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I couldn't disagree more. Palmer is one of the worst if not the worst driver of the current grid.

Why aren't you impressed with Kubica's testing times? They were phenomenal and over an entire race distance.

2. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    It is Team Stroll now, no doubt.

As for Massa (and you know I can't stand him) I do think his best option would be to stay: They pay well, he got nothing better to do and he is no danger for Stroll Jr. so daddy likes him too.

I'd love to see Kubica get the seat but apparently he is too much of a threat to babystroller. Too bad. The kid might actually learn something, but no.

3. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    I am not discussing if Kubica is or isn't more talented than Massa. The point is that Kubica NOW does not show any clear edge over Massa: (1) he has a handicap thus he is a risky bet (2) he does not have experience with the new cars and therefore won't help with the development as much as Massa

I briefly met Felipe on the Thursday before the Italian GP and I got the impression that, not sure if correct, he was not motivated at all. Seems like Williams just got him to act as a tutor to Lance.

4. rotaryrocket7

rotaryrocket7 Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2011
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Kubica is the best choice on the market, i would have rather seen him at Renualt rather than Sainz, but Williams would be wise to pick him up.

5. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Remember, Felipe had retired. Everything is a bonus for him, now. I would like to see Kubica in a Williams next year, I think it would be interesting. Di Resta would be a step backward...

6. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    If Werewolf gets kicked out of Sauber maybe Merc will slot him in at Williams, or is he too young for Martini?

7. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

+1 Williams face some uncertainty it seems. The amount of influence by Stroll is apparent. I would not want to be there. Kubica is well liked and reguarded by FA. That is saying something and Robert is held in good stand by LH. Stroll would benefit from his influence without a doubt!

8. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Looks like Robert will be competing for the Williams seat with more than di Resta...also the drivers from Sauber. And Alonzo has also not yet announced so there is still some silly left in the season.

9. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Anything but Palmer!!!!

10. Caracciola

Caracciola Karting
    BANNED

I am sick to hear speculations about Kubica.

11. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    They want a younger driver for the future i think ..to me looks like Werewolf will come out on top,he has not done anything spectacular with Sauber ,but managed to pick up some points with a pretty useless car,his team mate Ericsson is still struggling big time in F1 ..maybe his time is up?

12. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  13. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    About time!!!

14. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Williams needs a second driver who is of legal drinking age. This is a stipulation by sponsor Martini.

tifosi12 likes this.
  15. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    I heard about that ,but have yet to see a link confirming it.

16. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    I wonder if he will wear the Martini badging @ COTA. He did'nt at Suzuka this past weekend.

17. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  18. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    OCTOBER 10, 2017

Kubica will not race Toro Rosso in Austin says Rosberg

Co-manager Nico Rosberg has counted Robert Kubica out of the running for a one-off debut in Austin next weekend.

Toro Rosso is looking for a one-off replacement for Pierre Gasly, who during the US grand prix weekend will be in Japan fighting for the Super Formula title.

Pole Kubica is looking to return to F1 after a seven-season absence due to a permanent arm injury. He has tested for Renault this year and is now in the running to replace Felipe Massa at Williams in 2018.

But Germany's Auto Motor und Sport said the 32-year-old's management, including the reigning world champion Rosberg, is not pushing for the Gasly seat.

Reportedly, one of the reasons is that when Kubica does return, he would have to give back a lifetime insurance payout he received for being permanently unable to race in F1 -- even if that comeback is for one race only.

And Rosberg said Toro Rosso's one-race opportunity would be too great a risk for Kubica.

"If you are thrown into deep water in a strange car without a test, you can only lose," said the German. "It is better to keep going for the Williams opportunity."

19. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  20. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    I hear the Preacher has been knockin on doors, recently...

21. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    For the life of me I don't understand why he doesn't get the 2nd Williams seat. I just don't get it.

If it is papa Stroller refusing a real competitor to his son, I could at least understand that argument. But based purely on performance Kubica deserves that seat. Massa and DiResta are useless.

PS: I'm still shaking my head over the poor performance of DiResta in Hungary yet NBC thought he was great.

22. Caracciola

Caracciola Karting
    BANNED

With the ban on testing, anyone who has a one-off drive after several years away has very little chance to rea-adapt to F1, and we cannot expect startling performance in these conditions.

23. Caracciola

Caracciola Karting
    BANNED

I don't think the sponsors like Kubica, and they play a big part in who will be selected.

24. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    His testing results in Hungary were awesome.

25. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I don't believe this for a minute. He is the ultimate comeback kid/feelgood story.

Just for the record: I'm not a Kubica fan. Don't care for the guy but his testing results were outstanding and the alternatives (DiResta and Massa) are not worth the seat. Nor is Babystroller but he at least pays for it. Well his dad does, but you get my point.

Sheesh I wish Bas Jaski were here. He'd set the record straight on the performance of Kubica. I'm just not enthusiastic enough to go digging. But I don't understand the cold shoulder he gets.

375+ likes this.