Restoring the suspension of my 90K mile 360 Spider - what to replace? | FerrariChat

Restoring the suspension of my 90K mile 360 Spider - what to replace?

Discussion in '360/430' started by dreamcarswest, Mar 10, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dreamcarswest

dreamcarswest Karting

Apr 4, 2007
    So, any recommendations on what suspension bits are likely to be worn beyond factory tolerance at this point?

This will be a gradual project over the next year given the expense of parts, but at this point I'm thinking:

1 - All bushings
    2 - ball joints
    3 - tie rods

4 - Shocks???

I have seen numerous posts saying the 360 shocks are bulletproof - but all moving parts are subject to wear, right? At SOME point even the 360's shocks could benefit from replacement yes? Every other car (E36 BMW M3, Infiniti QX56, Mercedes W11 E55 AMG) I have replaced shocks on at high mileage has immediately experienced noticeably better handling.

5 - Springs?? Mine is a euro - how can I check whether they are sagging beyond what they should?

6 - Transmission mounts were replaced around 70K miles, and I have to look through my records but I'm not sure the engine mounts ever were.

2. F456 V12

F456 V12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Coto de Caza
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Engine mounts

Ball joints

3. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Engine mounts, ball joints, bushings. Springs should be ok. Shocks only if they show signs of leaking but you probably will see some improvement if you change them anyway.

4. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    +1. Start here...

5. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Just changed my engine mounts at 29k....

6. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Uprated engine mounts help and visually inspect the rubber bushings on the shocks and the suspension arms. If they look rotted, you may want to have them changed out. I've also heard that the shocks and springs on these cars are near bulletproof. So unless you have an accident, chance are they are going to last the car. That being said. I just swapped my entire suspension out for one off a CS. :)

7. dreamcarswest

dreamcarswest Karting

Apr 4, 2007
    Thanks guys. 360Tom - how hard was that project? Which parts have to be hanged to get the CS geometry?

8. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Everything bolts right on with no problems. Even the suspension computer is a plug and play. I did all the work over two nights after work in the garage. It seemed intimidating at first but turned out to be quite straight forward. I have not had the car on the alignment rack yet. My TCU was out for a reflash so it's been killing me just seeing it sit in the garage. The suspension was removed straight off a CS, so it retained the same ride height. Camber may have to be adjusted to give it a little more. I should have the computer back in the next few days. I'll take some pics when I get it out.

9. F-Serge

F-Serge Formula 3

Aug 3, 2004
    UAE
    Full Name:
    Serge
    I would add anti roll bar bushes, wishbone bushes, have a look at the steering rack while you're in there - may be up for rebuild.

10. GaryR

GaryR Formula 3

Dec 11, 2006
    Valencia, Spain
    Full Name:
    Gary R.
    90,000 miles.... that's impossible!!! :D

11. dreamcarswest

dreamcarswest Karting

Apr 4, 2007
    I thought the car would explode into a pile of unicorn dust after 10K miles GaryR - but strangely it is still running just fine.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  12. dreamcarswest

dreamcarswest Karting

Apr 4, 2007
    Thanks for the feedback - I've always wondered how you know when your steering rack is shot. It doesn't seem to be an item people typically replace on cars.

13. rmarchjr

rmarchjr Formula Junior

May 21, 2012
    North east, USA
    At 90k- dump the springs - they are not the same rate as new and make the single biggest difference in the ride. high quality H&R can be found for $450.

14. 996cupracer

996cupracer Karting

Jan 12, 2006
    Westport, CT
    Love to see these cars enjoyed and worked on by owners. I laugh when I see 7 year old cars with 57 miles or even 2000 on the clock. Such a shame and waste. Why own them as the newer ones are a poor financial investment? Just to say you have one.....

15. 996cupracer

996cupracer Karting

Jan 12, 2006
    Westport, CT
    Agree with changing springs.

16. F-Serge

F-Serge Formula 3

Aug 3, 2004
    UAE
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Play in steering wheel is the first sign, ask me how I know.

17. NuorderSG

NuorderSG Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Tell me how? I have a 2008 F430 coupe and have some significant play in the steering wheel while the car is off, key out. What should I look at replacing? Any bump and the steering wheel jiggles like crazy. I've had the front ball joints replaced, wheels balanced, car aligned, Rossellis in SJ CA tells me tie rods are good. -still can't figure it out, so Ferrari of Silicon Valley is my next stop at my appt. on Oct 25, '17. Any tips /insights would be greatly appreciated. It's driving me nuts!!!

18. GG-33

GG-33 Karting

Apr 28, 2014
    Farnham, UK
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Will be interested to hear the outcome of this...I have a similar symptom. Though it might be the track rod ends?

19. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Jack each wheel off the ground and grab the wheel at 3 and 9 o clock-see if any play in it- then change the steering ball joints if needed. Similar on the back and their joints

20. F-Serge

F-Serge Formula 3

Aug 3, 2004
    UAE
    Full Name:
    Serge
    It's been over 2 years since I posted that, and in the end my car didn't need a steering rack rebuild. We did however replace pretty much everything else suspension-related: ball joints, track rod ends, shock bushes, ARB bushes, spring perches, rebuilt the shocks and reconditioned the springs, etc. etc. etc. Total bill was close to $15k.
    My mechanic was pretty certain the steering rack needs a rebuild based on the excessive play in the steering wheel, but once he pulled the suspension apart the rack turned out to be fine.

21. NuorderSG

NuorderSG Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

22. NuorderSG

NuorderSG Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Thank you for the quick reply on an old thread! Good to know, my car only had 10.8K miles when I got two months ago and have since put another 2K miles on it.

The forum in Ferrari Life had some chap "tightening" the nut located near the steering angle sensor slightly underneath the dash. It seemed to do the trick for him. I tried it, but that nut in my car is already as tight as ever and wouldn't budge at all (22 mm by the way).

So. I believe in my car it's a combination of what you experience + something in the upper part of the steering column: with an adjustable wrench, I immobilized the lower part of the steering column, and the steering wheel still had quite a bit of play in the section above the steering angle sensor....where there seems to be some sort of adjustable coupling. So the excess steering wheel movement is not entirely from the lower part of the steering column.

I will update once I get a firm diagnosis. In the meantime. I welcome any suggestions from the community.

23. NuorderSG

NuorderSG Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Update: the collared nut is 27mm. I was looking at the wrong nut!! In any case, I ended up tightening the nut about a 1/4 turn and most of the play disappeared. Laying down on the floorboard, looking up underneath the dash, I used a short-handled, open end wrench to turn the collared nut clockwise while holding the steering wheel with my left hand.

Though, as posted previously, the CST fault indicator turned "on," so I will need to go and get it reset at Rossellis next week. Thank you all for your input!!

24. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Does anyone make bushing kit?

25. Jaymie360

Jaymie360 Karting

Jun 3, 2017