Real world 308 pricing in canada | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Real world 308 pricing in canada

Discussion in 'Canada' started by tbakowsky, Mar 28, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I imported my 328 four years ago. Unless the importation rules have changed, for a car the age of a 308/328, you should be able to apply for a refund of duty (about 6%, as I recall) provided the car is essentially stock and being imported for your own use. I had to pay the duty at the border upon importation and then apply for the refund. Took about two weeks.
    FWIW, I had no issues and nothing but courtesy from both the US authorities and the Canadian authorities. Being a NEXUS member might have helped but probably not as much as doing my best to have the paperwork correct and complete and being courteous with those I dealt with.

2. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
    The Duty is refundable on cars coming into Canada? I have not heard this before

3. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #28 SpyderGT, Apr 27, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    Not all cars. Must be "manufactured more than 25 years prior to the date of importation" and it "must conform to its original appearance and configuration which existed at the time of manufacture". Applies to duty only, not to GST, PST, HST. Canadian Border Services Agency, Memorandum D10-15-20, interpretation of tariff item 9966.00.00. D10-15-20 - Interpretation of Tariff Item 9966.00.00

I understood that the policy applied only to vehicles being imported for personal use and not for vehicles imported for resale but, in re-reading the memorandum today, I'm not certain of that.

I learned of the policy from a former F-Chatter who imported a 308QV.

4. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    When importing into Canada there are 3 main timelines to consider:

1. Less than 15 years old:
    - Must be imported through RIV procedures
    - Cars must originate from North America and be on the RIV permissible list to be imported
    - Requires recall clearance letter supplied by Canadian or US dealer
    - Some manufacturers have additional hurdles to maintain warranty coverage in Canada
    - 6.1% import duty on vehicles manufactured outside of NAFTA countries. Note that the duty technically includes partial parts origin as shown on the original window sticker which breaks down origin in % of NAFTA and non NAFTA countries. You are only on the hook for the non NAFTA countries.

2. Over 15 years but less than 25 years (based on month and year of manufacture)

- NO RIV
    - 6.1% import duty on cars manufactured outside of NAFTA countries
    - Worldwide importations allowed including cars never destined for North America (this is why you see so many Japanese market right hand drive cars in Canada)

3. 25 years and older

- NO RIV
    - No duties regardless of country of manufacture

In all instances PST/GST/HST (as applicable to province) is applied to the sales invoice price of the car once converted to Canadian from the selling currency. If the price does not 'seem' right the government reserves the right to determine a value and charge you tax on that value.

Obviously 308's and 328's fall under the 3rd category and are by far the easiest of the cars to import. The procedure is very simple however the weak Canadian dollar certainly penalizes foreign imports and isolates the prices in Canada.

5. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Thanks for consolidating. Unless there has been a change, even on cars over 25 years, I believe the buyer will have to pay the duty and apply (with photos) for consideration under the duty exemption memorandum and refund. I don't believe that the duty will be waived at the border. I asked about having it waived but it wasn't possible when I imported my 328. Application and refund.

6. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
    Thank You Guys for the clarification, I did not realize there was the "3rd" catagory

7. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    A little while ago, imported into Ontario a 66 vette. Easy process. Towed on trailer from Long Island . Faxed my form to the USA fax number (give a minimum of 48 hours from time of faxing to
    Time of crossing). Crossed at Detroit (car inspection open 24/7 whereas other crossings have limited hours). USA side checked vin, stamped form, out in 20 minutes. Took form to Canadian customs. Paid the hst. Out in 1/2 hour only because the custom guys kept
    On calling their buddies to
    Take a look at it. Later paid the pst at service Ontario when I registered after getting safety done.

8. Sustain26

Sustain26 Rookie

Oct 3, 2013
    Montreal
    Another twist: JDM cars are illegal in QC since the start of 2017, I believe, unless they were previously plated.

As for Ferraris and other exotics, they are no longer cars but 'objects of value', esp. the $28 millions ones sold at auction. But the "cheaper" ones are examples of old school sporty driving in a stylish manner; the most recent Mazda 6 sedan comes close to emulating that era, e.g. a red one I saw.