QV Backfire | FerrariChat

QV Backfire

Discussion in '308/328' started by jsa330, Nov 5, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Yesterday, I had the 308 out for a ride. Car started up and was running normally. Outside temperature was around 65F, and at the time of the incident, the guages showed water and oil as fully warmed up.

I pulled up at a stop sign and while waiting for traffic to clear, the engine started to die. As I gave it some gas, the idle speed returned to the normal 900 RPM, and this was accompanied by a loud backfire...it sounded like a .22 caliber shot.

Once I got going again, the same thing happened about five minutes later, but that was the last time. I stopped for the usual Shell 93 octane, stopped again at the supermarket, then went home and put it up for the night.

After a search, I read through some threads regarding backfiring. Most of these had to do with carbed 308s. My old 330 2+2 backfired from time to time and I thought nothing of it.

I'd very much appreciate some ideas and insights...forewarned is forearmed.

2. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    I had a backfire w/ my Datsun 240Z (V8) once that scared the crap out of me. Happened the same way at a stop light. Sounded more like a 44 magnum or black powder canon - not 22 pop tho. Never has happened again so must have been a weird hiccup or something.

3. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    That IS loud.

Hopefully, mine falls into the category of weird noises that happen once or twice then never again.

4. Scudjockey

Scudjockey Karting

Aug 28, 2010
    Suffolk, UK
    Full Name:
    John Marshall
    Big back fires are the result of intermittent ignition. The spark stops but the carb keeps feeding fuel mixture in, which passes through the engine and into the exhaust system. Then the ignition kicks back in and lights up the accumulation. A really big bang can damage the exhaust. You probably need to look at the connections in the ignition circuit. Good luck.

5. FF8929

FF8929 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2008
    Livonia, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Fred Flynn
    Are you talking about "backfire" (through the induction system), or "afterfire" (through the exhaust system)?

6. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    My car is an injected '83 QV. Keeping that in mind and the sound it made, I'd guess it's coming through the exhaust. It didn't sound muffled, like it was coming from the engine compartment.

I appreciate the responses!

7. FF8929

FF8929 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2008
    Livonia, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Fred Flynn
    +1, but to be anal, it's properly called "afterfire".

8. speedy

speedy Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2005
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    James Gardner
    My old '83 Euro 308 had a similar problem. It would run rough and die sometimes at idle with an occasional backfire. I checked all the spark plug extensions and wires, replaced 4 fuel injectors and still the same thing. Eventually I replaced the old battery and took it out for a drive. It drove great until I pulled into my home. It started sputtering again and so on.... It turns out that the alternator wasn't charging sufficiently. After I had the alternator rebuilt it ran like a champ.

Good luck

- James

9. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    James,

Where did you get your alternator rebuilt? I'm also in Dallas

For now, I'm going to just drive and wait to see if it happens again. If it does, I'll further investigate; if not, just chalk it up to bad gas.

10. speedy

speedy Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2005
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    James Gardner
    I took it to American Armature & Generator in downtown Dallas. They have since moved to Celina I believe. Really small mom and pop outfit that does fantastic work. They have done lots of Ferrari alternators over the years.

11. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I remember them...they rebuilt my 330 2+2's alternator when it fried out. Nice folks.

We took the 308 out for a ride this evening and sure enough, it backfired several times at low RPM and then nearly died. We barely got through a busy intersection in east Dallas