Quality of build base Porsche 911 vrs California | FerrariChat

Quality of build base Porsche 911 vrs California

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by [email protected], Sep 22, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Russm535il@aol.com

May 10, 2015
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Full Name:
    Russell DeJulio
    #1 [email protected], Sep 22, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    I am a long time Porsche owner who just retired and have been thinking about purchasing a pre owned non turbo ( if possible) California . At 64 I do not have the need for speed I once did !! LOL

My current 911 is a base 325 HP 2006 997 coupe ( 6 speed OEM sport seats Porsche factory sport exhaust classic silver w black interior) I bought it pre owned when it was a year old from a Porsche dealer with only 8 K miles on the odometer my car now now has 40K .

The ONLY repairs other than regular service since 2007 have been a new ignition switch and a replacement Porsche sport muffler because the electronically controlled flap stopped working.

I love the California but am concerned in general but also due to a good friends' experiences with a 348 and a 355 in the 1990's with the well known service issues of those models. I have been told that modern Ferraris' are very well put together but thought I would pose the question here.

I contacted a Ferrari dealer who sponsors this site in FL and they are going to email me a factory rec. service schedule for routine service .Also I plan to speak with a neighbor who owns a 488 - he owned a 458 prior.

After such good luck with my 911 I would get a little crazy if I experienced constant repairs on a car.

Even after two Porsche club 2 day high performance driving events on the Mid Ohio race track and 40K miles my dealer told me that my car will need new rotors and brake pads in approx 900 miles ( they are the originals ! ) which I think is pretty amazing. Thank you all for helping out a " newbe" . I am heading to Barrett Jackson in a few weeks in Las Vegas and might see a Cali and wanted to do some research first. I would lean toward a certified car from a authorized dealer if I decide to buy but from what I have read some good opptys on F cars can be found at BJ Russ DeJulio Pittsburgh PA

2. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I can't compare them with facts, yet do know the 991 cab is stronger than the 997. I would guess the Cali T is far superior.

The Cali has some flex, it was to be a Maserati. Still better than your 997 I bet.

[email protected] likes this.
  3. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Having owned a 2006 997 cab (among numerous 911s, including a 991), you are going to be very happy with the power of the California, even if you don't need it : )

The best advice is to get a California with a warranty. The California 30 -- 2013-2014 -- is the more powerful and last of the normally aspirated Californias and you will love that car if it fits into your price range. I drove a 2012 and 2013 back to back and it was clear that I wanted the 2013 car, which is what I bought.

I drive mine quite a bit, bought it with 5000 miles and now am pushing toward 17,000 miles on it just over two years later. The car has been trouble free aside from a convertible top sensor that would beep and flash "roof failure" when the roof was fully up or down -- the roof itself operated fine. Took a few dealer visits to get that sorted but it's been 5000 trouble free miles since. As long as your battery is good, and you take care to keep it on the charger and let it complete the check cycle before you hit the start button, you should be fine. In my experience, a weak battery or hitting Start before the check cycle is done can lead to a torrent of weird error messages that will freak you out, but the car is fine. The warranty will cover any major failure.

Something like a 355 does not really compare with a modern car like the California -- the maintenance is much less -- in fact it's free for 7 years on a 2012 and up -- and the days of having to remove the engine to change the timing belts every few years are long gone.

Recently I looked at a 2015 911 Turbo S cabriolet ... drove it back to back with my California, and as much as I love 911s and even though the Turbo S is crazy fast and powerful, I could not part with the California for it -- so much of the visceral experience of driving the Ferrari is dialed out of the Porsche. So that would be my one caveat -- once you drive a Ferrari, the Porsche may seem a bit too refined for you. It's going to be hard to go back. My car has been up for sale but now I'm wondering why, I will probably hang onto it and see what the new Portofino is like.

Good luck with your search ... lots of helpful people here.

4. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
    ^^^ Good observations above.

I own a 2009 997.2 C2S and owned a 2011 California for a little less than 3 years and put 13K miles on it. It was trouble free and required only 2 annual maintenance visits. Other than lubricating the top once to address a creaking sound, only replacement of fluids, filters and rear tires was needed. I sold the California when I purchased my 458 Spider. Ideally, I would have kept the California, but needed to make room.

The driving experiences were very different in terms of sound and handling, which made for great entertainment. The California definitely attracted more attention than the PCar, which are common in my area.

I would be hesitant to buy a California at auction without the service records. While I would want a car that's been appropriately used so that any bedding issues have been sorted, I would want to know the car wasn't hooned. As they say, best to assess the seller to understand the provenance of the car.

If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to try to answer them.

Good luck with your search. That's part of the fun of the ownership experience.

5. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
    BTW I just remembered that a sales guy had sent me the maintenance schedule in 2010 when I was contemplating buying one. Here it is in case you don't hear back from your dealer.

Attached Files:

tomc and [email protected] like this.
  6. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I'm a huge fan of the Cali; if you're worrying about some $$$$ repair, get the extended warranty as Vic suggested. I have both a 2011 997.2S & a 2011 first gen Cali. Love them both. To me, they're different enough of a driving experience that driving them back to back makes me appreciate the other even more. A lot of people on F-chat like to throw shade on the Cali, but to me, it's a great first Ferrari, it's a great only Ferrari.

In 3.5 years and 36 K miles I've replaced a battery and the high pressure fuel pump on the Porsche. In 16 months and 10 K miles I've replaced the battery on the Cali.

F-chat lore seems to suggest the best defense against bugs and gremlins is to drive your F-car. A lot. Maybe true, maybe not, but you're gonna have a lotta smiles!

T

7. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    i can only bring my personal experi3nce. my California just turned 30k miles with not a single problem to date. and its plenty fast enough for me

8. Russm535il@aol.com

May 10, 2015
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Full Name:
    Russell DeJulio
    THANK YOU ALL for the very helpful information !

A local Porsche dealer has a California for sale I plan on driving it next week to see what it is like
    My last drive of a Ferrari was a 308 in 1987 !

I feel SO MUCH more confident now to hear your positive comments !

I was at my gym yesterday and when I came out a beautiful metallic gray California was parked next to me !
    In the 10 years that I have gone to the gym this was the first Ferrari that I had seen there FATE ???
    Best !!
    Russ

Brian L likes this.
  9. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^ It's fate! And, grey is an awesome color for a Cali. This thread has some awesome looking Calis, and I'm not just saying that because my ivory wonder is in there! ;) OK, I am saying that because my Cali is pictured there! But, definitely check out this thread, and the Cali picture thread, if you're still ruminating over color combos.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/best-color-for-california-t.537149/

T

10. Russm535il@aol.com

May 10, 2015
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Full Name:
    Russell DeJulio
    I like the design so much I almost don't care what the color is !! LOL ! Thank you for sending you have a beautiful car !

11. Russm535il@aol.com

May 10, 2015
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Full Name:
    Russell DeJulio
    I like the design so much I almost don't care what the color is !! LOL !

Thank you for sending you have a beautiful car !

12. OwenC

OwenC Karting

Aug 12, 2017
    I recently got a 2013 Cali 30 with HS package and initially, I was having issues and all sorts of weird computer errors appearing randomly. After 2 visits to the dealer, they realized that the battery was still the original one and after replacing it, so far all the errors have not come back.

I still have a 997.2 Turbo S and although much faster and sharper, as many have mentioned, driving an F-car is a totally different experience. The Cali is still fast yet more relaxed than my 997. And the V8 sound is completely different which gets you really excited to drive it especially since it has sports exhaust fitted.

(I'm curious, does Cali 30 with HS package all come with Ferrari sport exhaust? Or is it an option?)

But in terms of build quality, I feel that Porsche will be much more superior (as with other German brands) in the long run. Of course F-cars have very nice finishes and expensive finishing materials. But there are also strange issues that my other cars don't get such as sticky knobs/buttons, stains on the rear view mirror, loose screws (probably due to vibration), etc.

Overall though, the Cali has been a good Ferrari experience for me and probably opened my mind to other F-cars later on.

13. Russm535il@aol.com

May 10, 2015
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Full Name:
    Russell DeJulio
    Well guys my wife and I test drove the California yesterday!

Its a 2010 ( 12K miles) currently for sale at a Porsche dealer in Pittsburgh PA - The Auto Palace . If anyone is interested they are a GREAT dealer/ very nice staff and they have had the car for about 5 months so I believe that they are really motivated to deal on the $112 asking price.

The car is a BEAUTIFUL silver blue with yellow calipers . Some minor scrape on the front but something to be mentioned for a lower offer or I think easily fixed by a shop. Also some of the small led lights are rattling around in the enclosed headlights , The interior and balance of the car body looked perfect to me

The drive - the steering was fantastic the most direct I have experienced ,car integrity like a solid billet of steel , ceramic brakes excellent ( But I would not to want to replace the rotors ! $$$)

The exhaust was spine tingling and truly felt like a race car when driven with some revs but a little too loud for us after about 20 minutes ( I like my OEM Porsche sport exhaust which I can control from sport to comfort) The ride felt very much like my 911 . The F 1 box was great but I have only ever driven manual transmission cars since the age of 16 ( I am old Skool ) and I kept missing that third pedal .

I hate to say this but at 64 from a guy who had rwo crude MGB's and a BSA 70' 650 Lightening motorcycle in the early 1970's I think my sportiest days are over

I am sticking with my 997 911 and perhaps add a MB 350 coupe or Audi A6 for a daily driver. I also plan to drive the new 911 991 to see if it will give me both sport but w more cruising comfort for trips. I believe if I was 35 again the California would be in my garage now !!

The car is so pretty and looks like she needs a little love and a good home I hope that someone on the forum might consider taking a look .

My good friend said that his Maserati Gran Turismo is more of a GT than the California so I will drive that when going to NYC in a few weeks .
    Thank you again for all your helpful input you guys are really nice that's another reason why I wanted to like the car ! Best !! Russ