Punctured tire. Recoverable? | FerrariChat

Punctured tire. Recoverable?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by iPlane, May 23, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. iPlane

iPlane Karting

Jul 22, 2009
    Zürich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Hi people,

I need your wisdom here. About a week ago, I bought a set of the new super cool and shiny Michelin PS 4S.

Yesterday, I went to show them to a friend of mine, and we discovered that a small screw had "screwed" itself (not sure the pun is intended) in my still-deep-black-looking rear tire.

The damaged area is unfortunately the shoulder of the tire. I say unfortunately because it doesn't seem to be repairable, from what I've been reading around.

I have pulled the bugger out carefully by turning counter clockwise until it was out. It seems that the tip had been cone-shaped to a very sharp end... I have measured the length of metal that went to puncture the tire, and it amounts to 12mm (or about 0.47 inches in your language).

What's your take? Shall I trash the tire? Or do you think this can be repaired somehow? I fear the former will be the right thing to do...

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Is it leaking?

Shoulders are not typically considered repairable.

I hate taking chances with tires. When going fast it is one thing I really don't want to have any doubts about.

3. iPlane

iPlane Karting

Jul 22, 2009
    Zürich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Dammit, I swear I intended to mention that bit, but forgot in the end...

No, it's not leaking. But 12mm seem to me like a lot of millimetres :/ I am leaning towards the same opinion... taking chances aren't my thing!

4. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #4 Rifledriver, May 23, 2017
    Last edited: May 23, 2017
    If it did not puncture the tire it is not highly likely it caused a problem to the structure. Tire cord which creates that structure is essentially cloth. Pushing a pin through cloth doesn't hurt the cloth. The rubber does support the cloth and you have made a very small hole in that rubber.

Call the people at Michelin and get an opinion from an engineer, not a sales type. I suspect in an overabundance of caution they'll tell you to replace it but in my experience they are pretty straight about this stuff.

5. iPlane

iPlane Karting

Jul 22, 2009
    Zürich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Thanks Brian, that's probably the best option now.

I think I agree with you: I might be wrong, but I don't think the structure is compromised, since the screw was cone-shaped. I was afraid that due to the perforation, the rubber would've become thinner at that one spot, making it more prone to collapsing under excessive pressure (once tires are warmed up).

But if it's a matter of whether the internal cloth layer was damaged... I don't think that was the case.

Anyway, I'll check with Michelin. We'll see what they say. Thanks for the help!

6. krazykarguy

krazykarguy Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I'd love to see a picture of where the screw went in. You'd be surprised as to how far the tread extends before it's considered the shoulder.

If the screw did not cause a leak (spray the area with soapy water, check for bubbles), I'd chalk it up to good luck and continue running it...

7. iPlane

iPlane Karting

Jul 22, 2009
    Zürich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    I can take a photo tomorrow. It will speak for a thousand words.

I'll make sure I picture the actual screw next to it, so that you can notice its peculiar cone-like shape.

8. treue

treue Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Tom Treue
    You said "new" tires. Did they include road hazard protection? Ask the tire vendor.

That said, if the hole is not leaking (try soapy water on it. or spit) you might be OK.

Tom
    2007 F430F1 Coupé (Izzy)

9. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    When you are doing that, consider where it went in and at what angle. It is the thickest part of the tire and it may have been a long way from anything that counts. The shoulder is an important area but it is also very tough.

10. iPlane

iPlane Karting

Jul 22, 2009
    Zürich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Tire insurance was an option that unfortunately, I didn't tick :(

I will post a photo here tomorrow, and we'll see what you guys think about it. I am more and more inclined to believe that no damage occurred in the lower layers... just surface rubber damage.

I will also do the soap trick, though I am almost sure that the tire isn't leaking. I'll report back tomorrow again!

Thanks a lot for the help, guys!

11. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I don't know about over there but here in the US road hazard is a very cheap option when buying tires. It's usually very cheap or even included in the price of the tires. Well worth it here if for nothing else just the peace of mind. Especially with the price of tires lately.

12. treue

treue Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Tom Treue
    You still might consult the vendor. He just might be accommodating. If you even need some help with it, that is.

13. patknapp14

patknapp14 Karting

Aug 24, 2016
    Menasha, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Patrick Knapp
    I have had sidewall punctures and chunks "vulcanized" on some of my off-road tires. This was done by local heavy tire shops (18 Wheeler and construction equipment). While this was for off-road only tires that will never see the freeway, or speeds in excess of 40 mph, it may be an option for you to obtain that "peace of mind."

14. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    I know that the cost of a new tire will hurt a little, but in the long run it is cheap insurance that you will not end up on the side of the road or worse.
    Tires are pretty much the most important part of the car. They are what stop the car, make it turn and go. Replace it and you will have peace of mind.

15. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    A picture of the where the screw was in the tire would help.

16. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I don't like going triple digit speeds on tires I don't have a very high degree of faith in. And on a motorcycle my tolerance is much lower that that.

On the other hand I do have a pretty high degree of faith in Michelins tire engineers if he can talk to one. Not sure that is even possible.

17. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Sidewall damage? Buy a new one. Tragedy happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. iPlane

iPlane Karting

Jul 22, 2009
    Zürich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    #18 iPlane, May 25, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    As promised, here's a picture of the hole, and the offending screw. It wasn't stuck all the way in, though... it was about 12mm total. What do you guys think?

The garage where I mounted the wheels said: if it doesn't leak air, there's nothing to worry about. I fear that's a very simplistic assessment, though...

Anyway, opinions?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. krazykarguy

krazykarguy Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Your garage/mechanic is correct. That screw was wholly in the tread block, and not in the sidewall at all.

The tread of a tire is formed via pressure from an air-pressurized bladder inside of the carcass of the tire. The bladder presses the raw rubber tire into a mold to make the tire tread as tremendous heat is applied to vulcanize the rubber compound. The greatest portion of the vulcanized tread compound ends up EXACTLY where your screw went in.

I work in the tire industry here in the US, and have seen tires made, and know that this is one of the strongest parts of a tire. If that hole is not leaking air, there is absolutely no catastrophic damage to the tire.

If, for some reason, you feel compelled to replace the tire, by all means do it - but in my humble opinion, it's fine. Judging from the condition of the head of the screw, you were not even driving on it very long...

20. iPlane

iPlane Karting

Jul 22, 2009
    Zürich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Thanks for the feedback, it's comforting to get a second positive opinion from someone working in the industry.

I just got scared after reading about how tire shoulder damages are considered "non-repairable".

Anyway, thanks a lot for your opinions! Funny how I feel much more comfortable asking here than asking my garage :p

21. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I just threw one away that was just like this on a tire with less than 1000 miles But mine was leaking air and you could see the slight hole on inside.

Sometimes I drive my car fairly fast so even though it was a rear tire I did not trust it.

For me it comes down to how much you trust it and how fast you go. I also have an after market tpms but that woukd do nothing if it blew at high speed.

I think this is more of a personal choice made with some expertise factored in from the experts above.

22. MassaFan

MassaFan Karting

Nov 10, 2007
    Not realy a expert on tyres and would never give a ok on the most importand safety part of a car. But to me I have two questions ins mind.

1. Is it worth to take a gamble with driving a tyre I may have a safety problem on a car like a Ferrari going maybe up to 300 km/h?
    2. I spend a hugh amount of money for the car, for service, for looks and start to save my money on safety issues?

I for myself would be answering both questions with no and would by a new tire. The only thing that is connected between you/your car and the road you don't want to leave are those tires, for me to importend to just go... ah it will be ok... thoughts

23. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    That's nothing to worry about.
    When I owned a vette with goodyear f1 tires (I had the tire warranty).....hit some glass and cut a slice at the outside edge of the tread about 1/2 inch long.....looked pretty nasty but it didn't leak.
    Took it in for inspection at goodyear under warranty and they told me the same thing.....the edge of the tire is the strongest part of the tire and not to worry about it.

Drove the tires till they wore out with no issues.

24. iPlane

iPlane Karting

Jul 22, 2009
    Zürich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Thanks for all the comments and opinions. I took the tire for inspection to another garage, and they said the same thing: That screw did not damage in any way the structural integrity of the tire.

Most of you seem to think the same way, so I will mount the tires back tomorrow. Again, thanks for the input!

25. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    AND the abysmal condition of our roads...