Probably my dumbest mistake yet....need advice | FerrariChat

Probably my dumbest mistake yet....need advice

Discussion in '308/328' started by boatr2001, Oct 12, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boatr2001

boatr2001 Karting

Oct 3, 2006
    Rockford,IL
    Good evening suspension gurus, I need a little advice. I've had my 84 308 for about a dozen years now, and in that time I've had my hands in every crevasse from replacing Hoses to pulling the motor to split it from the transmission to repair inner timing bearings- with nary a problem. So today, in the midst of one of the easiest tasks- wheel bearing replacement, I managed to screw up the threads on the front pass side spindle.
    UGHH...I'm an idiot....
    Anyways, I've found a M22 x 1.5 (I believe that's the correct thread) left hand die, but for fear of doing irreversible damage, have decided to pull the spindle and have a machinist true the threads (there's no damage on the "load bearing" portion of the thread.
    So,
    My questions are- is there any spring pressure left in the assembly when fully lifted off the ground?
    - also, not wanting to damage the ball joints I'm considering removing the stub with the ball joints still connected. Thoughts?

I figured that I would probably screw myself someday, I just wish that it was doing something heroic....not wheel bearings....

Thanks so much in advance!!
    Greg

2. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    #2 wildcat326, Oct 13, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    The shock won't blast you in the face on disassembly, if that's what you're wondering. It's a coupled unit with the spring, which is held captive between spring perches. It is under an inch or so of compression, which shouldn't be a problem on disassembly, and won't violently recoil. You may need to jack up the hub a bit on reassembly, in order to get the various bolt holes to align.

If possible, I'd try to disconnect the spindle from the ball joints. If you look closely, the ball joints are shimmed into the control arms with thin metal shims, and the number and thickness of shims can differ from side to side and top to bottom. They tend to act as a sort of sacrificial anode and corrode from splashing over time, and it's a PITA to keep track of their placement/thickness, and to reinstall. Use a little pb blaster on the castle nut and pin, and try to loosen at that point. You can source new pins. Unless you're planning to replace the ball joints anyway, in which case go ahead and disconnect at the control arms.

thorn, boatr2001 and eyeman1234 like this.
  3. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    At full suspension drop, there's no pressure from the shock. Just remove the bolt through bottom shock eyes to remove the ball joint. There's no need to touch the top bolt.

+1 on noting which shims go where when removing the ball joints from the wishbones to avoid needing a realignment afterwards.

The ball joints can be popped off the steering knuckle with a hydraulic jack once off knuckle is off the car. Just ensure to protect the threaded ends of each ball joint with a bolt before forcing apart with the jack.

Regards
    David

thorn, boatr2001 and eyeman1234 like this.
  4. boatr2001

boatr2001 Karting

Oct 3, 2006
    Rockford,IL
    Thanks gentlemen, that's exactly the helpful information I was hoping to receive!
    Thanks,

Greg