Post your best lap times! | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Post your best lap times!

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by Ky1e, Jan 9, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pfl

pfl Karting

Jan 7, 2013
    That was great driving. Where are you based out of? I'm in SoCal and would love to see more of your videos. Any at BW, WSIR, Fontana?

2. pfl

pfl Karting

Jan 7, 2013

I did the South+North palm in a stock 458 in 1.22.xx range. Do you have any times of that config in the 488?

3. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
  4. treynor

treynor Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Ben
    The rumble strips can upset your traction as you go over them, but it's quite normal to get two wheels onto them at the apex, and to straddle them on corner exit if there's nothing preventing you from doing so and the traction is there. In F1 as I recall the rule is that you cannot get all 4 wheels outside the rumble strips, and you'll see drivers go right up the edge of that in places where it improves the laptime.

The lap record for South Palm on its own is 1:09, and North Palm is closer to 1:00 on its own, so... did you mean 2:22, which would be similar to the best lap of 2:19 in this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9w1at1Rrus

5. pfl

pfl Karting

Jan 7, 2013

You're correct. That's me doing 2:19. I had forgotten that session.

6. treynor

treynor Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Ah so :) I haven't run the 488 on the North+South combined track yet. I had my 458CH out there last year and IIRC ran 2:11; here's a 2:12 lap with a bit of traffic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gPd3_RaHPM

7. pfl

pfl Karting

Jan 7, 2013

Let me know when you're going again. :)

8. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    UPDATED TIMES

McLaren GT4
    Lime ROCK 57.4
    COTA 1:20.9
    SEBRING 2:13
    DAYTONA 1:56

2011 Porsche Cayman R Track car 3.8L Pirellis:
    Sebring 2.17
    VIR 1.59.25 (Cayman PCA track record GTB3)
    Road Atlanta 1:30.45 (Cayman track record by over 1 second)
    Road America 2.21
    Watkins Glen 2:00 In the Cayman
    Daytona 1:58.1 (PCA Cayman track record GT3 class)

Ferrari 458 Spider Street car on street tires:
    Sebring 2:22
    PBIR 1:25

9. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    OK, now you're just showing off.

So how was Mosport? Didn't see you on camera much. Coverage was focused much more on the Cadillacs.

10. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    i think kyles accomplishments are amazing but it does make me think of the old question re whether or not race drivers are athletes. kyle started out few yrs ago as novice hpde in a street car and is now a competitive race driver. see similar things with the celebrities who go into racing. dempsey, garner, mcqueen, etc. could they have done this in any other sport? basketball, baseball, football, hockey? tennis? golf? swimming? i dont think so. is it possible that most people who are reasonably coordinated can reach similar levels with proper coaching, equipment, time, and money? not sure. is race car driving a sport?

11. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Don't know if "anyone" could do it. There are a few skills involved that you either have or you don't. Coordination, yes, but also a certain level of situational awareness that I'm not convinced can be taught, no matter the time and resources.

There are definitely people out there that could not do it, and should not try. And many of them can be found at various car club track days.

FCat360 likes this.
  12. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    #137 Ky1e, Jun 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    The McLaren had major issues. It needed a new transmission wiring harness. it wasnt shifting correctly and sometime wouldnt shift at all so we were screwed in day 1, then couldnt even make it to the grid for the rest of the weekend.

I think to be a good race car driver you need to have innate car control and bravado first, then the things you mentioned are required to develop those skills to a higher level. Most people have their natural level (think of a growth curve for an infant) and stay somewhat on that curve. I dont think coaching, equipment, time or money can make an average racer a great racer. A lot of it is natural but the talent does need to be developed just like any other sport.

The thing is there are fewer participants in racing than most other sports like football, soccer, baseball basketball, tennis, golf, etc so it is relatively easier due to less competition.

13. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    good point re number participants.

Im sure theres only a few people who can become a winning racer but I just wonder if most car people could be brought to the level of a backmarker.

14. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Please don't take this too negatively, but a good race driver needs to have little or no attachment to the car they are driving. I've driven at 9/10ths and that last 1/10th would have involved doing things with my car that were flat out unnecessary IMO. I can live with that. Of course, if you want to wring the very most out of the car, then go for it.

15. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Did 2.11 at the glen yesterday in the exige v6 on 3 day old yokos around 10 heat cycles. Thats 8 secs faster than I did in the elise.
    Still learning the car and calibrating the brain. Maybe for me there is another 5 secs in it.
    Two places to go faster for sure the bus stop and carousel.
    I remain impressed with Lotus great performance for a turn key, just change the fluids and go car.

One thing i noticed compared to the elise, its all a lot more physical, the cornering g's and braking, heavier steering all contribute.

16. rmarchjr

rmarchjr Formula Junior

May 21, 2012
    North east, USA
    Lime Rock Park - 2008 Scuderia
    59.5 - P zero DH slicks w 26 cycles & 195# passenger

17. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    26 heat cycles! Wow, that's amazing. They must have pretty poor grip grip. With stickers you could probably do 2 seconds faster at a short track like Lime Rock, 3-4 seconds faster at longer tracks.

When I did PCA or track days I would switch tires after 5 heat cycles (7 at most) because lap times would drop off so much after 5 cycles (couple seconds). I'd find it more expensive to drive on tires that old because my chance of crashing would go up due to pushing for good lap times on poor tires and sliding too much. Some of my friends would stretch it to 10-12 but generally would be sliding around alot after 7 cycles, but I've never heard of 26 heat cycles. To put it in perspective, in IMSA on Continentals, we are generally 2 seconds slower 40 minutes into a race due to the tires falling off.

18. rmarchjr

rmarchjr Formula Junior

May 21, 2012
    North east, USA
    Ky1e- Yes, I agree. I was 3 seconds faster on stickers vs these tires at Summit point main. But the price was right!! I use two of my 458 CH friends take offs (known history, no offs, no damage). I routinely use the Pzero to 35 cycles- they do get pretty sporty. That lap at lime rock was using some counter steering and/or pedaling through nearly every corner. It was not in any type of competition just an open track day, competing against myself. Purely for fun and enjoyment of this magnificent Scud. It was also my 1st time at Lime Rock. I don't feel that the used up slick is anymore dangerous then a new one in a non competitive environment, it just forces me to be very sensitive to the slip angle and adjust speed accordingly. They are still wonderfully predictable, just with a lot less mechanical grip.

We are truly blessed to be able to push these very special cars to there limits on track!!!!!!!! Please keep posting your times, I love having a goal to shoot for!

19. chrisbinsb

chrisbinsb F1 Rookie

Oct 20, 2011
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Chris B
    Laguna Seca in my stock '03 BMW Z4 3.0 on Pilot Supersports - shaved a couple seconds off my previous best time at 1:54.8.

https://youtu.be/HUFsFY0XtMY

20. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    2.11 at the glen, exige V6 with 12 heat cycle tires.
    Thats a lot faster than I went in the elise which was 2.19, but then the exige is a much more capable car.

Fresher rubber and more practice, because I need to break 2.10 and then 2.08.

21. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

How about Pittsburgh to Chicago to Pittsburgh in 13 hours flat!

22. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

How about Brevard, NC to Pittsburgh - 500 miles in 7 1/2 hours!

23. treynor

treynor Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Mont Tremblant: 1:36.5, 40 min into a 1-hour race stint in my 488GT3

24. treynor

treynor Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name: