Poll: How many with 456M have replaced accumulators? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Poll: How many with 456M have replaced accumulators?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Amalfi Dream, Sep 27, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    Jason, the accumulators and the light are not talking to each other.
    If the light stays on it means one or more actuators are not working.

2. Andrew D.

Andrew D. F1 Rookie

Jul 6, 2008
    Goodwood Ontario
    Full Name:
    Andrew D.
    Taz, my suspension seems to have only one setting,hard. I have bought the accumulators,any special issue replacing. ?system need bleeding?

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Andrew- Should not need bleeding. If you bought the BMW accumulators, you will need some washers because the holes are slightly larger.

4. dencap

dencap Karting

Sep 29, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Caponigro
    After approx. 20 miles the suspension light extinguished. Now at about 200 miles still no suspension light.

The new accumulators are providing a much better ride.

Dennis

5. Andrew D.

Andrew D. F1 Rookie

Jul 6, 2008
    Goodwood Ontario
    Full Name:
    Andrew D.
    Thans Taz,your the best.

6. Somersett

Somersett Rookie

Sep 30, 2015
    England
    Replaced mine with the BMW units. Car rides and handles great. Having had Citroens and Rolls/Bentleys with similar spheres they progressively lose gas
    and need recharging or replacing every 15 years or their function is impaired.

7. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    I also replaced mine with BMW units at about 15 years mainly out of unknown history, from Classic Maserati experience 10 years on older type units New units have better rubber compounds

8. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Also did mine earlier this year. Used the BMW ones, sourced online, manufactured by Febi Bilstein. Having spent many years in a past life working on Mercedes, I replaced a ton of them on the TD and TE wagons and the 560SELs.

If you were to cut one open, you'd see a diaphragm inside. On one side is nitrogen and on the other side is the pressurized oil (ATF in our case). When the diaphragm ruptures, the spheres lose their ability to act as a springing medium and then in turn hammer on the shocks causing, in some instances, the blowout as shown above. I had to put one used shock on a friend's '97 GTA because his split just like the one in the photo.

Case in point, if the arse end of your 456 isn't nice and 'floaty' it's time to change spheres ASAP!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat