Our First Prancing Pony | Page 9 | FerrariChat

Our First Prancing Pony

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by tomc, May 13, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Thanks. I've seen yours. The one with the two tone seats and interior. Yours is super sweet. I've seen avorio Calis on Google images. Overseas. Europe, I think. Jason (IT Guy) sent me a link to one for sale in Canada that was a near complete doppelganger. As I recall. So, it's small and select company we are in! I hope you're enjoying yours as much as we're enjoying ours.
    T

2. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Two firsts as we close out our first year of Cali ownership.

[​IMG]
    The view from the passenger seat. A first for me. Wife is driving. Doing a few loops of the back lot at Boardwalk Ferrari. I haven't been that nervous since I left her alone at Tiffany's with my credit card. It's part of my devious "We need a V12 Ferrari" master plan!

[​IMG]
    Same day. Another mileage milestone.

T

3. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Tom time passes fast and one year already gone. I had my Cali exactly for the same period but despite suggesting to my wife several times that she should drive de car she was afraid of what could happen and always refused so I never got the chance of contemplating the passenger seat view with her sitting on the left side but, my son, has given me that privilege. Curiously, I never get nervous if my wife is alone with a credit card shopping but I confess I would get very nervous if she was driving our Ferrari.

Since you mentioned a V12 master plan the only thing I can tell you is go ahead and don't even think twice because life is short. I'm 100% sure you won't regret it.

4. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^ My wife is a native Texan, while I grew up in NYC, so she's been driving a lot longer than I. She's a very good driver, so I'm not nervous giving her the keys. She drives all our cars - even now the Ferrari. But, being a Texan I suspect this would be her ideal ride!

[​IMG]

T

5. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    We took the Cali for an early morning drive the other day before it heat up too much. After 30 min or so, I pull over at a gas station. And, hand the keys to the wife!

FM 455 is a road over the Lake Ray Roberts dam. Nice & straight, a little bend in the middle. 3 miles long per Google Maps.
    [​IMG]

Wife: I won't go fast.
    Me: (sotto voce) Yes, dear.

A few seconds later after seeing how the Cali effortlessly accelerates, she decided to goose it on the straightaway.

Wife: Holy carp, we're doing #!@ (ssh, it's a secret, in case the popo are eavesdropping!).

Well, before you know it, Mrs. Lead Foot is hooning around rural Tejas like Chris Harris on a test drive. I think the Church of Ferrari has a new convert!

[​IMG]
    This car was a lot further away a few seconds before I snapped this.

T

Brian L likes this.
  6. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    Time for a second one.

7. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Wife agrees. V12 in next couple of years is the plan.

Summer has been mild thus far, by Dallas standards. That's officially over! No top down weather until October?!? ☹️

[​IMG]
    Topped out at 40 C (104 F) during my drive. Folks in Az, Persian Gulf states, etc. who drive their F-car in crazy hot places get my respect.

[​IMG]
    Thought this picture showed off the Cali's lines well. Fourth of July celebration with local FCA folks.

[​IMG]
    Random picture. Reputedly the tallest structure in Texas. Radio tower near Era, Texas. 2000 ft tall. Viewed from the Cali; early morning drive to beat the heat.

T

8. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
  9. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Tom the wife's agreement is always the first milestone in a new Ferrari project. Once their blessing is given what comes after is always easier. As you know the V12 carries a great part of Ferrari tradition and history and earlier or later is something unavoidable for anyone who wants to own this company cars. On a V12 you never get bored of feeling the acceleration and hearing the orchestral sound and you want always more.

40ºC is very hot for any standard and if it's also sunny with your Cali top down you will get roasted. I had no idea that a radio tower structure could have that length which is absolutely impressive.

PS- Putting miles on your Cali at this pace the V12 will have to be anticipated.

10. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^ Thank you, Mario. I took the Cali out for an early morning drive this past Sunday with the top down, for the first time in quite a while. It was a lovely 25 C. As I was driving solo, mannetino was set to Sport and flappy paddles were in use. Not much better than a convertible Ferrari driving experience. I wish Ferrari made a convertible V12 for the unwashed masses!

Today, back to 35 C, driving with the wife - mannetino on Comfort, Auto mode, top up, A.C. blasting! Still a pleasure though.

Hope you are well.

T

11. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
  12. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    Oh dear lord no. Keep with half of Fleetwood Mac. On a serious note, and I have been following this thread, how would you feel about taking the Cali on extended trips like from Houston to Naples, FL for a couple of weeks? Would the ride in it kill the wife (not me)? I want a GT that I can do this with and the 458 would be miserable. Plus I can order the T the way I want. Thanks.

13. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

LOL. Actually, the whole gang - except Stevie - contributed to the album.

It depends on your back. I have a cranky back, and after 2+ hours sitting in the Cali, it gets crankier. Our Porsche 911 is comfier, we've done 12 hours easy in that. Longest journey we've taken in the Cali was 300+ miles, and so we stopped a couple of times, stretch the back, had a bite to eat, etc. Hop back in, good to go for another few hours. I'd definitely do it, we did Dallas to Key West in our pickup truck. It'd be awesome to do Houston to Naples in a drop top Ferrari!
    T

14. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    That is what I wanted to hear. I have owned Corvettes forever and have done Fl to WA numerous times but not with her. She would not survive from here to New Orleans in my ZR1 so I have not tried. Now that we have the means I want a Ferrari and the Cali fits what I want to do with it. Plus I think she will enjoy driving it which I want her to do. She has never driven any of my vettes over the last 15yrs since they are all sticks. Not that I didn't encourage her to learn.

15. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

My wife has started driving the Cali. It's quite easy to drive in auto, comfort mode, and also fun when you get on it with sport mode and the paddles. If you get the T, the consensus from the F-chat brain trust is that the Handling Speciale package is worth the price.
    T

16. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Took the Cali to a car show. Had a blast. Lots of positive comments from folks, especially about the avorio and ciocolatto color combo.
    T

17. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Nice angle your Cali looks great in the picture. Tom it doesn't matter how good pictures are but the truth is they never make justice to a car so it has to be seen in the metal. Today at 07.00 hours in the morning I was driving to go to work in my SUV and suddenly a black thing appeared from behind making a great sound. When it passed by my side I looked and recognized on the rear the plate number of my ex Cali and the car looked really beautiful from that elevated angle and people on the other cars they all looked so for a moment I felt a certain nostalgia. I just tell this story to mention the fact that the aspirated Cali with it's presence and great sound continuous turning heads.

18. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Wow, the same car. What are the odds! If the new owner enjoys it as much as you did, then they're in for a real treat.

Speaking of NA vs. turbo, the best chat I had at the car show was with a young man, who may have been 10 years old at the most. He asked me if my Cali was NA or turbo, when I told him turbo, he brightened up, and then proceeded to give me a lecture on why NA was better than turbo! :p It was like an F-chat thread. I encouraged him to work hard, get rich fast, and buy an F-car as soon as he could because NA Ferrari are becoming rarer!
    T

I.T. Guy likes this.
  19. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Rally with the local F-car club.

Always interesting how the avorio changes with the lighting, exposure, etc. The more white looking pic was taken by Michael, local car enthusiast; nice young man. Others are with my iPhone.

T

Attached Files:

20. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Tom no doubt your Cali is having a very intense social life in shows and rallies and that's a great way of having the car contemplated. Looking at the pictures it's really interesting how Avorio changes with light. On image 1454 the car looks really white like if the camera had a filter but on image 1445 goes back to pure Avorio.

21. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Hi Mario...1445 was taken with my iPhone. 1454 by Michael with a real camera.

Here are some pre-delivery pics, inside & I assume under artificial light, almost looks yellow, or butter cream as my wife says.

T

Attached Files:

22. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Took the Cali to a concorso a week ago. Bent Tree Country Club. Great facility. Lots of great cars - saw my first LaF Aperta. Looks like a space ship! Cars were judged on originality. We had to leave early, but apparently we won an award in the modern front engine V8 class! Woohoo!! Pretty amazing as there was a gorgeous Rosso Mugello Cali there. Man, that's an awesome color. Especially on a sunny day.

T

MDEL likes this.
  23. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Tom with so many nice Ferraris in that concorso an award is always good for the ego and makes total justice to the originality of your Cali color and combo. I believe there are not many around who look like yours.

24. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Thank you, Mario. We have gotten nothing but positive comments on the avorio/chocolate combination since we've owned it. I generally deflect the credit to my wife, who was initially more enthusiastic than I about the color scheme. Now, 17 months later, I love it...T

25. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Avia11 and MDEL like this.