Official 308 GTB/GTS Market Thread | Page 102 | FerrariChat

Official 308 GTB/GTS Market Thread

Discussion in '308/328' started by vaccarella, Jan 21, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    Cool Story! Do you think that it's worth more than market value because of that??

My 308 was bought new by a banker who scammed millions of dollars from clients then spent 2 years on the run before he was caught and put in prison.

2. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    It's not steve McQueen but may have a very small bump in value.
    I had Malcom Forbes Diablo painted in a one of one green from the factory and it did not give any value.
    However, in today's Lamborghini market, it might yield more(if it were not destroyed in a freak storm at Russo and steel years ago.

3. jdamon

jdamon Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2015
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Jeff

Thanks! Sounds like it was a nice car :). Did it have a recent respray, how was the paint?

4. jdamon

jdamon Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2015
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Forgot to say, love the color (of your old 308)!

Your dealer friend is asking a good sum!

5. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    No respray
    Which dealer?

6. jdamon

jdamon Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2015
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Jeff
  7. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    Yes old listing

I bought for less than his listing

8. jdamon

jdamon Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2015
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    It's funny how long the listings are available sometimes. There is a shop local to me that hasn't updated their website since 2008, and there a ads from that time still up. One of those old listings, a blue/blue 83' 308 QV just sold on BaT 2 weeks ago, the price was a bit different this time around!

9. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    I would never put my car on BAT
    based on the bids the audience does not appreciate Ferraris or Lamborghinis.
    But, a FJ60 and the crown goes wild

10. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    #2535 Hannibal308, Sep 2, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    of2worlds likes this.
  11. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    Great pick up

The market seems to be getting worse
    To sell, great to buy

12. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Congrats on a great buy! I love the black / red combo and am a true believer of the 76/77 US cars. Here is an excerpt from and link to the eBay listing for further information:

This 1977 Ferrari 308 GTB comes to RB Collection freshly out of long-term storage. It is a very sound and solid example that, with minor sorting and service, will make an enjoyable and rewarding driver or a very sound basis for a straightforward restoration. It is a low mileage car, just 34,491 miles from new, that was enjoyed regularly and carefully until the passing of the most recent owner. RB Collection’s team has carefully gone through the car to get it running and driving, and while it is in need of a major service, we are very pleased to report that it feels very solid on the road, with that distinct “Good Bones” feel about it.

The GTB has become very sought after in recent years, as enthusiasts have come to prefer its cleaner and purer lines over the open-topped GTS. As such, values have increased for early examples as they are quite rare. This car adds another layer of desirability in its attractive black on red color combination, and excellent original TRX wheels (a set of period correct BBS alloys will also be included). The body is largely straight and sound with no serious corrosion to be found. There are a few ripples and dings here and there, and the paint is thin in some areas, but it is very original and still presentable should someone choose to enjoy it as a driver.

Red leather upholstery remains in excellent original condition, showing only slight wear on the bolsters but no rips, tears or damage. The leather covered dash is also excellent, showing the car was kept indoors, avoiding sun damage to the delicate leather coverings. Original HVAC controls in the console remain in excellent order, with no fading or wear to speak of, backing up the low original mileage. Door panels and carpets are good, with overmats protecting the original carpeting. Overall, the cockpit is very serviceable, and with minimal effort can be brought to a very good standard. The only deviation from stock is the fitment of an aftermarket stereo system.
    Ferrari’s sweet 3.0 liter V8 engine presents in good, tidy original condition. The engine runs well, and appears fundamentally sound however, a major service is highly recommended prior to using on the road. RB Collection can arrange for that service work to be performed by our own in-house experts prior to delivery. While no previous service history is known, we have performed a 110 point inspection and found the car to be in sound, original order. The sale includes all original books in the leather wallet, and the original zippered vinyl cover for the trunk still works perfectly.
    The Ferrari 308 GTB is a rapidly appreciating classic, and with its kart-like handling and sonorous V8 engine, it is one of the best driver’s cars of the era. This example represents an excellent opportunity to acquire a rapidly appreciating classic Ferrari at a very reasonable cost of entry. With minimal effort, this highly original 308 would make a fine choice for an enthusiast to enjoy on the road, or an excellent basis to return to as-new condition.

Titan Theme

13. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    Thanks, Chris! I'm two years into the resto on my Dry Sump '77, so I'm hoping to major this one and drive it until my other one is done. I'll let every one know how it goes.

14. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Congratulations and well bought! Surprised by the price for such a nice car, 77 year even!

15. Yoric

Yoric Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2005
    Full Name:
    Yoric
    Congratulations on your black/red 308 GTB.
    I think that the market is settling at a reasonable level, one at which most of us can afford to stop dreaming and start buying. When a dealer, at an auction such as eBay, sells a Berlinetta in the mid $50K's, or when private sellers are willing to let theirs go in different enough venues such as BAT, CL or Auto Trader, for between $50K and $60K then it's time to consider owning one these beautiful old Ferraris. My preference is for an early 2-valve carbureted GTB but to each his/her own. I expect that more and more come on the market as the fall and winter seasons approach and thus everyone who is serious about adding one to their collection will be successful.
    Today I will place a WTB in the classified section and hope that such a car as I described above shows up in a PM or an email <[email protected]> to me in the near future. Good luck and good hunting.

16. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    Agreed. GTBs are just gorgeous cars. They will not be cheap forever. This last year has seen a healthy pull back from the dumb speculatory highs of 2015-16, but prices are still up 75-100% from 3-4 years ago. This is a great time to buy. I think these cars will start creeping up again over the next few years and possibly take off again at some point for another doubling. They are just great and people know it.

17. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Average auction sales for a 77 GTB this years is around $73k with a high of $83k. At $54k I would have to assume the car is in need.

18. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    It's important to understand the condition of cars being sold. I think that major difference between today's market and that of two years ago is that Buyers are paying closer attention to condition / needs and pricing is set accordingly. Mid $50ks is the lowest I've seen for an early GTB and the write up seems honest about the condition mechanically and cosmetically, including the fact that it had been in storage for many years. The highest end has pulled back a bit, but cars at top quality level still demand a commensurate premium. Serviced, driver level early GTBs have been consistently trading in the $70-80k range. Expect pricing to go up from there for 1 and 2 condition cars, dry sump cars, rare and desirable colors, etc.

Actually this is the high for a U.S. GTB for 2017:

http://www.goodingco.com/vehicle/1978-ferrari-308-gtb-3/

Dry sumps and glass cars have traded for more of course.

19. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    You are both exactly right about condition being of prime importance. At $54K I either got a good deal, or I'll be spending a great deal to get her right. What attracted me to the car is that it is in very original condition, right down to XWXs, hoses, clamps, everything. It's missing it's smog junk and has an aftermarket stereo setup which will go right into the curbside bin. If I'm lucky, the miles are spot on and the interior looks right for a cared for 30-40K mile car. I'll let you all know. And...had I not been a bidder, it would have gone for $44K or so...so deals (maybe) are still around.

20. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Great buy Hannibal. I would pull the heads once your other car is back together. My guides were worn to the limit with 36k miles.

21. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    That's good advice. Replacing the valves and guides are a good asset preservation move!

Looks like all she needs is new sneakers (XWXs in the mail) and a major. I'm sure other stuff will crop up during the major and I'll find still more as I shake her down over the next few months.

of2worlds likes this.
  22. wards70

wards70 Karting

Feb 27, 2005
    Coto de Caza, CA
    Full Name:
    Ward Prickett
  23. Yoric

Yoric Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2005
    Full Name:
    Yoric
  24. Yoric

Yoric Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2005
    Full Name:
    Yoric
    Wait, $169,900? I only want to buy one!

25. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Very nice car, this reminds me of the time the Dino's started to go north,in 5 years this might seem like a steal.