Off to join the French Resistance. / Off pour rejoindre la Résistance française. | FerrariChat

Off to join the French Resistance. / Off pour rejoindre la Résistance française.

Discussion in 'France' started by Jonny Law, Dec 1, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    Well I'm off to join the French Resistance for the holidays. Nerofer has recommended the Champs-Elysées for New Years Eve. Any other recommendations on what part of town to stay in or what activities to include. Will be there for both Christmas and New Years. Not renting a car so if Cars and Coffee is happening, it will be by cab or Uber. Merci!

Eh bien, je suis hors de rejoindre la Résistance française pour les vacances . Nerofer a recommandé les Champs-Elysées pour la Saint-Sylvestre . Toutes les autres recommandations sur quelle partie de la ville de rester ou quelles activités comprennent . Devrait -il y avoir à la fois Noël et Nouvel An . Ne sera pas la location d' une voiture si Voitures et Café qui se passe, il sera en taxi ou Uber . Merci!

(Je excuses à l'avance pour les erreurs gramical par Google:)

2. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Fantastic Jonny! Have a great time and I look forward to the pictures.

3. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    I wouldn't actually "recommend" the Champs-Elysées, but then I am a grumpy old fart; but this is the place where people actually gather for New Years Eve. You shouldn't have too many difficulties booking an hotel, as reservations are slightly less crowded than the previous years. Depending on your taste and budget, the choice of hotels is rather large, but again, Paris is small, so staying "generally in the center" you will never be very far from the main spots.
    I'll check with the friends if there is some cars and coffee scheduled for this period.
    Feel free to P.M me should you have any question. I hope we could meet for a lunch or a dinner, which will of course be on me

Rgds

4. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    Thanks, I would like to see a C&C while there, and lunch or dinner sounds great. I'm getting to that point myself. I don't mind watching the crowd, I would just rather not be in the crowd.

I found a rooftop apartment on AirBnB near Boulevard de Belleville and Rue de I'Orillon. What is your take on that part of town? It has a great 360* view of the city, but the street view shows a lot of graffiti which always makes me cautious.

5. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Jonny,
    When you return drop me a PM ok?

Gregg

6. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    Will do.

7. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    It is a part of the town inhabited mainly by « working class » people, so not the most prestigious quarters of Paris; people of mixed origins, etc…colorful, but not particularly unsafe or dangerous.
    I lived in worst quarters than that when I came to Paris. You would be near the “Belleville” metro station, so good connections with the central lines at République, Arts-et-métiers, Châtelet, Hôtel de ville. And about ten minutes from Joe Allen (restaurant of New York cooking…). If the building where the apartment is situated looks correct, as the apartment itself, I would not be afraid.

Rgds

8. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    A friend of mine from Paris described it as "animated", but it seems that location has been taken. He recommended the 7th Arrondissement. Pricier, but more centralized.

Random question. Were would be a good place to rent or purchase a cheap bike for the duration? My thought is this may be better then renting and parking a car. Unless you know anyone with a 2 CV for sale. That would make a good souvenir.

9. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    This could be a good option for you...Vélib' Bike Rentals - Paris

10. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    I've seen those around a lot. Will keep that in mind. Their hourly rate looks like it could get pricey over time. I see they have CraigsList there. Does it get widely used?

11. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    #11 Jonny Law, Dec 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    #12 nerofer, Dec 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. ONSilver

ONSilver Karting

May 26, 2008
    Oakville, Ontario
    Hi Nerofer, could this be at Thoiry perhaps? I keep hearing there's a car event there every month but have no other information. Would love to go sometime, as about half the year, on and off, I live in Jouars Pontchartrain, quite close by.

I'm still in the market to buy in France a 456 stick, or a Maserati Gt or Spyder (must have a manual gearbox, not cambiocorsa) - any pointers???

14. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Very cool pictures and the weather was very accommodating.

TX scofflaws could learn something from the pics as well.

15. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    I think it has rained three times since I have been here, and always light. Its usually sunny and not too cold for this time of year.

16. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Yes, Château de Thoiry; usually on the last sunday of each month, on the big parking lot nearby, 10:00 to 12:30, open to all sportscars and collector's cars.

Rgds

17. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    We even managed to mix culture, history and cooking by having dinner at "Le Procope" on Dec 30th; although with a working A/C it would have been slightly cooler, but the electricity short-cutted three times during dinner...
    Hope Jon is back home and well, it was a pleasure to enjoy his company.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caf%C3%A9_Procope

Rgds

18. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    Yes Bruno, I did make it back with no events. Other then customs seizing my coffee plant in Portland. I'll post some images this weekend.

19. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well...pity to have managed to being it so far as Portland, only to have the customs seizing it at arrival.

Rgds