No LaFerrari Aperta? | FerrariChat

No LaFerrari Aperta?

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by joe sackey, Jun 15, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Az458

Az458 Karting

Apr 24, 2015
    Many many reasons why. Maybe it's because he doesn't own everything he advertises or the Fake 250 Lusso he claims is a Competition car which has been proven wrong. Or the Laferrari car ferrari was not pleased with him buying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    u saying the cars dont belong to him?

3. Az458

Az458 Karting

Apr 24, 2015

There is evidence to support that most of the cars titles are in China

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    what does that mean?

5. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    It may differ to others' opinions, but I can definitely see how some are turned off by his social media persona. Rarely, just rarely, someone will strike a nerve with a comment on a post and he'll turn around creating a new post about "the haters", and how he dictates what will be posted. Add in the additional comments about how, if people DM him apologizing, he will unblock them.

In other words, when the article says he has a "Look at me!" lifestyle, they're probably referring to fact that he comes off as having a massive ego about himself; a few of his IG posts detailing his humbleness come off more as... maybe a bit gloating?

A recent thing I noticed surrounded the P1 GTR in his stable. He made 2 posts about it being street legal and showcasing it doing so that did give off an impression he owned the car, which in turn, likely resulted him not particularly enjoying a couple folks pointing out who the car belonged to (or last belong to) as their comments were deleted/critiqued. The last time I witnessed this was after Jay Leno showcased his Huayra; David really didn't enjoy people pointing out the fact that he came across as having been the one responsible for how the car turned out looking like the Tricolore and I seem to recall her former owner (Salomondrin?) even having a comment about David's posts regarding the car.

Of course, I have a feeling saying things like, "you have to buy a few other cars that you don’t want,” or "try to find a way around Ferrari’s 18-month sales prohibition", most likely don't help the cause either.

I have no doubt he'll eventually get one and post about it. Just needs to tone down his approach a little.

6. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Speaking of DM where did DM18 go? Luca gave him a LaFerrari allocation and he had his (GTO or Daytona) in a Ferrari museum display and he got each new model that came out to...

7. Monako

Monako Karting

Sep 23, 2007
    Canada
    According to article he was not granted an allocation for a Laf .

"Lee even wrangled a limited-run LaFerrari after the company didn’t sell him one directly.

Left off the list for the $1.4-million hardtop, Lee commissioned a car contact to find him a used one — and to try to find a way around Ferrari’s 18-month sales prohibition.

One owner was in line for one of the first LaFerraris in North America but was about to go through a divorce. Not wanting the yet-to-be-delivered vehicle to be part of the settlement, Lee said, the owner agreed to transfer possession to Lee but delay the paperwork so that, technically, they could both abide by Ferrari’s rule.

Lee confessed that he paid “much, much more” than $1.4-million, but insisted that was less than the car is currently worth.

“The market value is $4 million now,” he said. “My investment is sound.” (Six months later, he estimated the car’s value at more than $5 million.)

But he incurred the company’s wrath, when Ferrari reps spotted him driving it at a Pebble Beach event. They made him agree not sell it for at least 18 months."

8. BaronM69

BaronM69 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2005
    Washington DC / FR
  9. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I believe Doug M (DM18) is still around although I think his interests shifted a bit, however, let's try and avoid any confusion and keep this thread on-topic please.

Thanks.

No, of2worlds was talking about this FChatter http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/members/18461.html who has nothing to do with the Los Angeles article that is the subject of this thread.

Back on track.

10. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    It appears that way according to the graph.

4/11/17 - 332.79K followers
    4/12/17 - 749.98K followers

Unless he was tagged in someone's post who has a lot of reach, or social blade recorded some sort of mistake, 400K+ followers in 24 hours seems very suspect.

11. Monako

Monako Karting

Sep 23, 2007
    Canada
  12. faykau

faykau Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2013
    but what's the benefit of buying ig followers?
    please forgive my ignorance.

13. faykau

faykau Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2013
    so does that mean he and the other party co-own this specific car?

to be fair i find his internet persona to be fairly common among other limited edition collectors these days. if he seems too 'show-boaty' then more than a dozen of those (including some of the members here and some of the 'infamous' youtubers and facebook 'celebrities') are at least on par in that respect.

14. Monako

Monako Karting

Sep 23, 2007
    Canada
    No benefits whatsoever beside being a poser trying to appear more popular that you are.

15. Monako

Monako Karting

Sep 23, 2007
    Canada
    I'm assuming until the 18 months sale prohibition had expired.

16. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    #18 Bas, Jun 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
    More followers = bigger audience = advertising products for higher rate.

-

Something is off about Lee. Someone said something about his ''humbleness'' coming off as gloating, and I agree. Many of such individuals post pic of car collection and write underneath it ''be humble'' or such shallow bull****. idiots will claim ''oh look Mr so and so is so humble'' because they're idiots who think being humble is just saying it.

I'm yet to figure out what the end goal is of putting ones' insane collection out for the world to see. It can't be money, even the top rate advertising is peanuts to what these guys earn. The hassle of being ''famous'' is far worse than the pay of to ''share'' these cars through social media. And the age old reason for ''inspiring others''...spare me the bull****.

Curiously in the LA times article it's claimed he's 'invested heavily racing for Ferrari'', but there's no evidence to that.

17. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    His "passion" does seem a bit forced. It doesnt come off as genuine. As if everything he does is calculated towards one goal.

But still, even if he doesnt own all of the cars and needs to buy some in the 2nd market, the fact that he makes his collection so available for all to see and that he does drive some of them is pretty cool. Much better than some of the approved Ferrari colllectors that never drive their cars.

18. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    #20 wildcat326, Jun 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
    He's certainly guilty of being a self-promoter, but then again if everyone looking to be a showboat were denied a Ferrari, there would be about six people at my local club meets, and factory sales would plummet dramatically. I fail to see how a company that sells $3,000 cup holders and launches cars with videos showing them wave surfing would think that the buyers to whom that marketing appeals are low-profile studies in humility. There is nothing subtle about a Ferrari, even if you're the world's most humble person. If there's any truth to the rumor that Wynn lost a dealer franchise for selling his LaF, Lee probably was punished for procuring his outside the proper channels. What the article didn't mention is that the gentleman who sold Lee his LaF will NEVER get a new limited edition allocation again. No doubt the factory values him as a noted collector and loyal customer, but no customer escapes their wrath for breaking the allocation/flipping rules.

19. faykau

faykau Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2013
    it is really weird for anyone to ever consider him as 'humble' from the first place knowing how much he loves to show off his collection in his ****ty little mall parking lot.
    could be a chinese (confuciucs) thingy to try to be 'humble' in front of people but i agree he is not afraid of showing his face next to famous people and nice things. again i think his 'showmanship' is not uncommon in today's world we live in.

and if i recall correctly he sells expensive watches? ha i don't see him advertises anything anywhere on his ig but that he could be promoting his business by showing off his colorful and luxurious life? i just don't think people who have the money to buy what he is selling give a shxt about ig but i could be wrong.

20. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Least deserving Laf Aperta owner? Chris Evans, Gordon Ramsey?

21. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Why would Gordon be least deserving? I've read he's a genuine Ferrari enthusiast and has bought his share of cars from the factory.

22. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Ramsay has made his way up from original 550 Maranello owner to the Lafs...20 years.

23. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Yes you are wrong. A lot of his clientele is on IG doing the same thing that he does. Either to promote themselve, just to show off what they have or what they do. So he could easily show whatever new watch he wants to sell on his IG and it would quickly show up on his friends IG.