New England vacation suggestions | FerrariChat

New England vacation suggestions

Discussion in 'New England' started by Rory J, Sep 29, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 30, 2006
    Hi all... I'm from California, but wanted to get some advice here on a trip.

Wife and I are heading to the New England area for a week of vacation in October. We're picking up a new Range Rover Sport SVR after flying in to Newark and doing a driving tour. Heading to the White Mountains area for a couple days, remainder of the week based out of Portsmouth, NH and then Boston, MA (a couple days each). Particularly interested in suggestions in White Mountains area and day trips from Portsmouth (is it worth seeing Portland, Maine?).

First significant amount of time for both of us in the area and I know a week isn't enough to see much. Activities don't need to be car-related.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Anthony James

Anthony James Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2012
    Essex
    Ahhh it will be leaf peeping time in October. Hopefully you will be going earlier then later in October to catch the fantastic foliage. Boston doesn’t experience that amassing experience like the White Mountains in October. Travel early in the morning, and very late in the evening, as it will get crowded with Leaf Peepers.

For Portsmouth NH you must stop in MOXI for a bite. Tapas with a twist.

Head north up RT 16 toward the Conway NH area. I personally like Jackson, NH with the covered bridge and Pumpkin People. The kancamagus highway is a MUST. Don’t miss that. Stop in the Mount Washington Hotel for a drink and a view, and in Conway get to the White Mountain Hotel for Sunday brunch and SPECTACULAR view.

Enjoy!

3. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    I know absolutely nothing about the area except that my son was in this past July with my sister & family for a week in Ogunquit ME and he absolutely loved it, a very well established area he said. Since then I heard others talk about it similarly...

Rory J likes this.
  4. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 30, 2006
    Yep, we definitely planned this trip in part for the leaves. Thanks for the tips! I'm guessing most natives hate the tourism this time of year and aren't inclined to assist me. I've lived in some touristy areas myself, but acknowledged that some of these communities would die without money from tourism.

5. jmaienza

jmaienza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #5 jmaienza, Oct 2, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    White Mountains
    The Kancamangus Highway is good, but very crowded. Bear Notch Road is a road that heads north from the Kancamangus and goes to Bartlett, NH. Great road and much less traveled. Once in Bartlett, head west on Rt 302 and go through Crawford Notch. Great views of the mountains on each side. Check out the Mt. Washington Hotel. (old grand hotel) You will now be on the western side of the White Mountains on the Interstate 93 side. If you have the time you can head further west and go to Sugar Hill and Franconia. Incredible views from Sugar Hill and Polly's Pancakes is there. Great place and fabulous pancakes. Go back down Sugar Hill and take Interstate 93 south, which becomes a parkway and goes through Franconia Notch State park, (where the old man used to be). Literally mountains and cliffs on both sides. From there you can go to Lincoln and take the rest of the Kancamangus to Conway which is on the east side of the White Mountains.

Portsmouth area.

Lots of good restaurants in Portsmouth. If you want fried seafood and clams, try Bob's Clam Shack in Kittery, Maine (which is just north of Portsmouth). Kitty also has an abundance of outlets i you want to shop.

Enjoy your trip and get off the beaten path.

6. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Cape Cod!
    A bit south of your plans but, the Cape in October is my favorite time of year to visit. Tourist crowds gone. Beautiful empty beaches. Classic New England. About an hours drive south of Boston(depending on traffic) to bridge. Truro and Provincetown are a must see.

7. DocRogers

DocRogers Karting

Oct 11, 2015
    Maine
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Portsmouth is our local city, 12 miles from my house. Have breakfast at the Friendly Toast on Congress Street, dinner at Cava on Commercial Alley or Martingale Wharf on Bow Street. Driving the shore road (Route 1A) along the NH coast and on into southern Maine is pretty. If you're going to drive through the whites, stop in Jackson, NH. Take a hike to Arethusa Falls in Crawford Notch. Drive the Mount Washington Auto Road. If you get up to Portland, take a Casco Bay Lines tour on one of their ferries. There's a lot to do.

8. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 30, 2006
    Thanks to everyone for the thoughtful suggestions.... taking them all into consideration! Wife had her purse stolen the other day, so we're on a tear to make sure she has proper ID just to fly.

9. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    From Portsmouth take Rte. 1A all the way up to Portland. In a few spots you have to zig onto Rte. 1 and then zag back onto 1A. Portland is nice along the waterfront. DiMillio's is good for seafood. In Portsmouth go to Massimo's for Italian.

In Boston you can walk the freedom trail or take a duck boat tour. The Museum of Fine Arts is excellent. Too many good restaurants to mention.

10. LNtoast

LNtoast Karting

Jul 11, 2013
    Last of the season - Herb Chambers Cars & Coffee
    Sunday, October 8th, 7AM-10AM

Herb Chambers Ford of Westborough

310 Turnpike Road, Route 9,

Westborough, MA 01581

11. barchetta

barchetta Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
  12. DocRogers

DocRogers Karting

Oct 11, 2015
    Maine
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    +1 on the Cliff House. Haven't stayed there but we've eaten in the restaurant several times. Good food, fantastic view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Anthony James

Anthony James Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2012
    Essex
    Rory, How was your trip?