Moving to US this year. Convert or sell 458? | FerrariChat

Moving to US this year. Convert or sell 458?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Joker, Apr 19, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Joker

Joker Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2004
    Who knows
    Full Name:
    Christian
    #1 Joker, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    As subject says - we have our embassy appointment in May, so in all likelyhood we are moving to LA some time late this year. However, I just took delivery of my 458 not 5 months ago, and is a bit reluctant to part with it since I really like it.

My main problem in selling it and getting a new one is mainly that I'll start so far back at the queue at any dealer that I might as well forget it completely, and I hate an off-the-shelf red/tan one.

I'm aware it'll be out-of-warranty in the US, but I can live with that. When it comes to selling I can always ship it back to Europe.

Soo - anyone have any experience in converting a 458 to US standards? Whats involved? Any idea of cost? Has anyone done this?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. jpohl402

jpohl402 Formula Junior

don't know the answer to your question but wanted to say - gorgeous car!
    where are you currently located?

3. CarreraCaballo

CarreraCaballo Karting

Apr 5, 2011
    Full Name:
    Y.F.A
    #3 CarreraCaballo, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
    There used to be a company called AMERISPEC that converted NON-US-SPEC cars into US-SPEC cars, but I can't find their link on google. Maybe the company no longer exists!

The whole conversion thing is pricy, might cost you more than 50,000 US$ incl. customs and conversion, since a Euro Spec car must meet US and in your case Californian Safety and Emission Standards and Regulations. The EPA part is the really expensive part, since the car has to be tested by EPA emission engineers!

I do not know if European cars have a stricter emission grade than US cars, but as far as I know, US cars have reinforced front and rear bumpers, and an extra crash beam in their doors that euro cars don't have, and these parts have to be changed or even welded (I wouldn't weld anything in a street car) ! ! !

Do your homework and research the whole thing on:

www.customs.gov
    http://www.dot.gov/
    http://www.epa.gov/

My advise - Enjoy your current car and sell it before you move! It is a 458, they are building them everyday. When you are in California, then you can order a new one. Or if you are definitely moving and without any doubt, then start ordering your new US-Spec 458 Italia now :D
    REMEMBER that for the used Euro or GBP price you will be getting a brand new US car, thanks to currency exchange rates (Euro/USD or GBP/USD) ! ! ! :)

The conversion is simply not worth the hassle ;)

Finally, amazingly beautiful car, the colors are perfectly in harmony :)

By judging the size of his front plate, I would say: "Switzerland" . . . !?!

Greetz,

Joseph

4. Joker

Joker Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2004
    Who knows
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I'm in the UK - but its a Euro car. Its just a stick-on plate in front - only thing I thought fitted properly there. ;)

Thanks for the advice - at that cost, I agree - not worth it unfortunately. Thanks for the pointers - I'll start researching it a bit.

5. CarreraCaballo

CarreraCaballo Karting

Apr 5, 2011
    Full Name:
    Y.F.A
    I nearly tipped on the UK . . . Because of your brick house, but well the LHD mislead me . . . LOL

Greetz,

Joseph :D :D :D

6. CarreraCaballo

CarreraCaballo Karting

Apr 5, 2011
    Full Name:
    Y.F.A
    #6 CarreraCaballo, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  7. tuonoR

tuonoR Formula Junior

Apr 22, 2006
    I suspect a conversion would also result in meaningful depreciation.

You have until year end, so consider contacting a southern cal dealer now and getting a soft order in the system. I suspect you'll get a indication of a potential delivery around year-end. Backlogs seem to be alot shorter than they were for the F430.

8. shawsan

shawsan Formula 3

Jul 2, 2004
    Vancouver, Canada
    My advice is sell it and save yourself a ton of potential headaches -- transport costs and damage, conversion delays and costs, skeptical buyers when you plan to sell. You don't want your dream car to turn into a nightmare car.

9. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Amazing car mate!! :):)

Have you thought about storing the car till you return 'home'? :):)

10. bonzieknight45

Apr 20, 2011
    nice car man!! my kind of configuration except for the two tone exterior paint and i want carbon fiber seats instead of the standard one. but definitely a very nice car and enjoy it first before moving here in the states.

11. deepsea

deepsea Rookie

Apr 8, 2007
    Baltimore
    you can bring it to the USA for 1 year on your passport and then have to send it out. Rules may even be more loose if you are a diplomat.

12. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    #12 leead1, Apr 22, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
    I have some experience but it is dated.

The Eurpoean cars have a lower selling price in the USA. They also smoke a little on our gas. The cars should be alittle quicker but on the two I drove could not tell the difference.

Some of the body parts cannot be purchased in the states. The doors were the big problem.

These comments where based on a 360 and later the 430. I decided on the US spec cars on these and the 458.

The modification at the time 2002 were $25,000 US dollars. It was considered to be unreliable by most Ferrari people at the time.

This may have changed now. Maybe the body part specs between Europe and the USA have come together.

If interested I can call my dealer or if you prefer give you a name and phone number at the dealer.

Lee

13. Joker

Joker Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2004
    Who knows
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Unless I missed something this is only for nonresidents. We're moving, so will become residents.

Lee - thanks for the info. I'm in talks with my dealer over here about how to solve it - we're also trying to find out what the actual difference is nowadays. I'll sent you a PM if I need your dealer contact - thanks for the offer.

I'm also going to try to contact a LA based dealer to get an idea of how long a wait I'll be looking at there.