Miami Marine Stadium Preservation & Restoration | FerrariChat

Miami Marine Stadium Preservation & Restoration

Discussion in 'Florida' started by BartonWorkman, Jul 22, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    #1 BartonWorkman, Jul 22, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Looks as though the preservation and restoration of Miami Marine Stadium has gotten
    some wind in its sails again.

Received this petition link from ACT Productions regarding the preservation and restoration of
    the Miami Marine Stadium.

This historic structure served as the home to the incredible Unlimited Hydroplane races for
    years until Hurricane Andrew caused some structural issues. The site was a popular concert
    venue as well.

Today, it sits intact but covered in graffiti surrounded by the new parking lot area used for the
    new Miami Boat Show.

Take the time to sign the petition to bring the Marine Stadium back to its former glory and
    pass the word. It would be so cool to see the Unlimiteds running here again.

https://secure2.convio.net/nthp/site...Action&id=1231

BHW
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    My parents took me to MMS for several events. It is a fantastic venue. It is worth saving.

With all the wealth piled up in Miami now it should be an easy deal.

3. duskybird

duskybird F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    29 Electoral Votes
    Full Name:
    Bill B.
    Gloria and Emilio Estefan are/were spearheading the effort. IIRC they put up $500,000 of their own money. I have a ton of memories from that place. I'd love to see it restored.

4. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    All kinds boat races there not jut unlimited hydros - saw Jimmy Buffet there in the early 80's

5. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
  6. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    #6 BartonWorkman, Aug 2, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    We’re delighted to share that, on Thursday, July 27, the Miami City Commission unanimously agreed to authorize Phase Two of the Miami Marine Stadium project—the development of complete restoration plans for this one-of-a-kind structure.

The work will be completed by RJ Heisenbottle Architects, the firm that successfully completed the Phase One assessment. Additionally, the City Commission authorized RJ Heisenbottle to move forward with Miami Marine Stadium’s nomination to the National Register of Historic Places: the federal government's official list of districts, sites, buildings, structures, and objects deemed worthy of preservation.

The initiative to save and restore Miami Marine Stadium is especially important to the National Trust. The stadium is not only one of the most significant structures in Miami, it’s also recognized both nationally and internationally as an architectural marvel and cultural icon. That’s why, in 2009, we named it to our annual list of America’s 11 Most Endangered Historic Places. In 2012, it became one of our first National Treasures.

Over the years, our work would not have been possible without the perseverance of stadium advocates like Don and Nina Worth, as well as our local partner, Dade Heritage Trust. Dade Heritage Trust is the leading preservation organization in Miami Dade County, and has played a key role in saving the stadium since 2008 when they began the initiative.

But most importantly, we’d like to thank you. When we became involved with this effort in 2009, Miami Marine Stadium was on the verge of demolition. But because advocates like you have spoken so forcefully and consistently, the mayor, his administration, and the City Commission have gotten the message loud and clear—the stadium must be saved for future generations.

We will keep you informed in the coming months, especially since we may need to call on your support again soon. But today, let’s take a moment to celebrate our success knowing that soon, we all will be able to enjoy the stadium once more.

Sincerely,
    Jason Clement
    Director of Community Outreach

7. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Excellent news. Now they need to resist the impulse to make an over the top "statement" and just do a sympathetic restoration. Being Miami, though......

8. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Good news! If the Unlimited hydroplanes return, so will I!:D

9. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    #9 BartonWorkman, Mar 22, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    Just learned today that Formula One International Grand Prix tunnel hull boats will be racing
    at Miami Marine Stadium November 2-4 in an event called "Miami Grand Prix of the Americas".

For those familiar with Grand Prix tunnel hull boats, these are spectacular machines capable
    of very high speeds and incredible turning capabilities.

https://outboardgrandprix.com/f1-champ-boat-racing/

BHW

Attached Files:

10. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    First race I went to I had just gotten back from Nam - 1969 I believe around New Years - my dad took me - I lived in the Keys and several friends drove those - 2 who died of the same thing - broken neck - I'm sure they have really advanced safety wise
    Also went to a Buffet concert in around mid 80's in a houseboat with a bunch of pro football players and a friend who used to play with buffet - when the concert was over buffet jumped in the water and swam to our boat - talk about a party!!!!!

11. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Anyway, congratulations to everyone who was involved with saving this structure - I'll have to take my grand kids there and fill them with stories

12. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Absolutely, this is great news!

It makes no sense for them to put in the huge parking lot and all the updates for the Miami Boat Show
    and leave the stadium portion an untouched eyesore.

Evidently, the hang up has been the residents out on Key Biscayne. Their objection was the disruption
    to traffic on the causeway but, as usual, these objections are unfounded.

Many great memories of the Unlimited Hydroplanes out there back in the 80s as guests of Bernie Little
    and the Miss Budweiser team. The transition from piston engines to turbines and the first enclosed
    canope cockpits, the huge thundering boats tipping 200MPH in the straights and then hooking those
    skid fins in the turns and throwing the water high into the air, simply spectacular.

The tunnel hull boats are quite a bit smaller but none the less impressive. The course will no doubt
    be laid out a bit differently to show off their top speeds but it's in the turns where these boats really
    shine, they turn on a dime.

Just found out also that boat racing will be happening at the Stadium April 21-22. Sounds like more
    of a test event for the bigger one coming in November.

http://www.miamitodaynews.com/2018/02/28/powerboat-racing-returns-miami-marine-stadium-basin/

BHW

13. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    I knew Bernie Little from ocean racing back in the 80's - he would give friends a ride on his double seat race boat - took 15 mins from Key west to Maraton that is half way up the Keys - I've forgot the name of his driver - was it Chip - Knew all the Bushes from Bud - they stayed at my hotel - great memories

14. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    You're thinking Chip Hanauer.

Very nice guy Chip. He drove for Miss Budweiser arch nemesis Miss Miller American (they were commonly called
    the "Beer Wagons" back then) for years before eventually joining Bernie with the Miss Bud in the early/mid 90s.

Chip had a couple of devastating crashes in the Miss Bud (IIRC) which crushed his sternum among various other
    series injuries which he suffered to the point where he could barely talk.

Completely unrelated to the thread, but I ran across Chip at the 12 Hours of Sebring in 1999. I was working for BMW
    Motorsport and Beck's Beer and recognized Chip on the pit lane in the minutes leading up to the Thursday night
    practice session.

I spoke with him briefly and his voice was still really shaky but he told me then that he was doing fine and that he
    was there working for Michelin in some capacity.

The BMW Motorsport team rolled the LMR V12s out on the pit lane where the drivers (Tom Kristensen, J.J. Lehto
    and Jörg Muller) were practicing driver changes. Chip and I seemed to be the only ones there. I was getting some
    golden images when Tom popped out of the cockpit, stood on the side pod and jumped off the car. When he did
    though, he hit his helmet on the overhead lighting scaffolding which knocked him back onto the car.

Chip immediately swung in to help, the first to attend to Tom who was a bit dazed for a moment and only really bent the middle finger of his left hand
    backwards while attempting to break his fall. Chip got him on his feet and handed Tom over to the team physio who
    was near by.

Anyway, the news about Miami Marine Stadium is awesome. Looking forward to the races there in April and November.
    Fingers crossed it all comes off as planned. The tunnel hull boats are spectacular and should provide a great show
    on the course.

BHW

15. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
  16. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
  17. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    There are boat races happening at Miami Marine Stadium this weekend and a much bigger event
    coming up in the Fall.

They'd better get a move on if they want this to be a success.

BHW

18. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Chip was awesome in his day.

side note, his throat/voice problem was diagnosed as spasmodic dysphonia, and apparently it could have been the result of psychological stress (ptsd from all his crashes).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spasmodic_dysphonia

19. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Yeah, boat racers are a different breed along with off-road racers.

The moral equivalent of having the crap beat out of you for ten or twenty minutes being
    thrashed around on waves, no matter how the smooth the water may appear, on board
    cameras show them being thrashed laterally and horizontally, getting soaked even though
    they're in enclosed cockpits the water still gets in.

Then, the inevitable happens and they have "the big one" (or two, or three) they catch
    a pocket of air and the blow over. It's a pretty brutal sport and guys like Hanauer were lucky
    to come out of it alive especially when you see the Unlimted Boats up close, how big and
    heavy they are, they're simply amazing.

Doubt we'll be seeing Unlimiteds around here again any time soon but it was great
    while it lasted. Simply spectacular.

BHW

GuyIncognito likes this.
  20. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
  21. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran