Max Speed Vs. Wheel Size | FerrariChat

Max Speed Vs. Wheel Size

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by wildcat326, Sep 20, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    This summer I had the opportunity to test my car - 1,000 break-in miles off a full mechanical restoration - flat out and see where its top speed came in. The one variable was that it was a particularly windy day and we had a headwind, but she maxed out below the stated top speed from the manual. I mentioned this to a tech at my mechanic's shop, and he responded, "It's because you put on 16" wheels with lower-profile tires than stock."

I understand the physics of how - all else being equal - smaller diameter tires will affect the top speed achievable, but here's what I don't understand from the online calculator tools (where you can only plug in speed, final drive ratio, rpm, and tire diameter): How do weight and horsepower figure into the equation? If I read this right, then a car traveling at 7,500 revs with a final drive ratio of 3.71 on wheels with an uncompressed profile of 24.5" will max out at 148 miles per hour, regardless of horsepower or weight. What if the engine put out 100 extra horsepower, or one removed 200lbs of weight? What am I missing?

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    The horsepower, weight or wind resistance all factor how fast or even if you can get to the 7500 rpm - in other words the engine just won't turn any faster maybe at 6,000 rpm thus lowering you overall speed

3. kens

kens Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Weight is a variable in acceleration, it has nothing/zero to do with top speed.

Provided that you have sufficient HP to offset wind resistance and can get to 7500 RPM, top speed limit is easy to calculate. If you have excess HP, you can change gearing (or taller wheels) to go faster at 7500 RPM.

Ideally gearing and HP are nicely matched so that top speed happens near the engine's maximum HP.

Top speed variables, assuming that gearing is optimized: HP, frontal area, coefficient of drag. Ultimately, it is wind resistance vs. HP.

4. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    That makes sense. Thanks.

5. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Great post. Spot on.

6. JWeiss

JWeiss F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2010
    NYC and Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    JWeiss
    Also, what are you using to measure speed? If it's the car's speedo, recognize it's not particularly accurate, and also, it's calibrated to stock wheel diameter.