Looking to purchase my first Ferrari | FerrariChat

Looking to purchase my first Ferrari

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Chester888, Oct 12, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chester888

Chester888 Rookie

Oct 9, 2017
    Full Name:
    NL
    Need your advice folks, looking to purchase my first Ferrari. Deciding between a 2009 430 Scud or a 2011 458, price variance is immaterial. I will drive this car, it will not be a garage queen. What should I watch out for in terms of either models. Thanks in advance.

2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Welcome Noel! It's a hard question since so many factors can determine what is best for you. The scud is much harder edged and the 458 more comfortable. They both are very close in performance. Which do you think looks better? The scud should have better price appreciation as well.

Again welcome!

3. Chester888

Chester888 Rookie

Oct 9, 2017
    Full Name:
    NL
    Thank you Paul. I always love the classic look of the 430 and the Scud is something else. I like the raw feeling of it, single clutch and the Spartan interior. The 458 certainly looks modern but better, I'm not sure. Does the Scud have a different exhaust system than the F430?

paulchua likes this.
  4. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    How much driving though? Anything more than a few times a week then the 458 is probably the better more frequent car to use. They feel pretty different. Scud will be louder inside, harder ride. I haven't really ridden around in Scud but I spent a whole day in a Stradale and my legs were in pain from the hard seat bolsters.

Scud is more raw of an experience but it would probably take extraordinary tolerance to manage it as a daily or near-daily driver.

5. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Welcome - spend sometime reading about each model in the dedicated sections lower down - you'll probably not ask any question that has not been asked and answered often

Chester888 likes this.
  6. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I believe it does have a different exhaust. It's hard to live with a Scuderia daily, the 458 is worlds easier. It's all relative though, I'm sure some can daily their scud. I don't think my back would survive it! It all comes down to your situation. If you like the looks of the scud and want the rawness, the scud is the way to go. The better depreciation/appreciation is just icing on the cake.

My friend Tony recently sold his 458 for a Scuderia, he's been happy as a clam.

Merlin Auto Group and Chester888 like this.
  7. Chester888

Chester888 Rookie

Oct 9, 2017
    Full Name:
    NL
    Thank you very much for your help. This will be a weekend car, not a DD.

paulchua likes this.
  8. Chester888

Chester888 Rookie

Oct 9, 2017
    Full Name:
    NL
    It will be a weekend car, the occasional canyon ride. Thank you very much!

paulchua likes this.
  9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Definitely try to test drive both and trust yourself over others opinions! Best wishes and let us know what you ultimately get.

Cheers

Merlin Auto Group likes this.
  10. Merlin Auto Group

Merlin Auto Group Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 18, 2016
    Atlanta
    Hi! Decisions! Can't go wrong. In regard to the Scud, I would recommend getting a recent clutch reading before proceeding with one. 458s have a refined clutch in them that you really don't have to think twice about. 430s still have the old style clutch that wears with miles/driving conditions and needs to be replaced every so often. Many Fchatters have already touched on the same points I would. I, personally, just think the Scuds are super impressive.

paulchua likes this.
  11. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    This was a really good advice. Drive both and then decide. Surely a 458 would be more carefree selection. And definitely more comfortable.

paulchua likes this.
  12. The Nutsack

The Nutsack Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2014
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Scud more fun.
    458 more comfortable.
    Weekend special drives, I would NO QUESTION buy the scud.
    Legit daily driver I would buy the 458.

paulchua likes this.
  13. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Depends what you are in to. I DD an F40 in the '90's and was fine with it. I could DD my CS if I wanted to as well.

G. Pepper likes this.
  14. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    You are at least a demigod.

15. AussiePete

AussiePete Rookie

Sep 6, 2014
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Peter Chambers
    My wives advice to me which I took is buy the latest model you can. Cant go wrong with a 458. Lower the mileage the more you can drive it.

G. Pepper likes this.
  16. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Scud is the one of the best sounding Ferrari's ever made, and that's saying something.